Genealogy thread

Genealogy thread. Post questions on genealogy here. Genealogy is a hobby of mine, so if you need some tips just ask. If you have any tips, feel free to share. :-) 🌳
I haven't read the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this has been asked-I'm looking to do some DNA testing to possibly locate siblings/half siblings. What is the best product to use for this reason?

I haven't read the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this has been asked-I'm looking to do some DNA testing to possibly locate siblings/half siblings. What is the best product to use for this reason?
Ancestry seems to have the biggest database but you can always upload your number to GEDMatch which can tie in other sites.

start with Ancestry. They have by far the largest database. You can take the results from that test and upload them to MyHeritage and Family Tree DNA. The next step if you are willing to pay for an additional test is 23&Me. Neither Ancestry nor 23&Me accept uploads from the other companies. Most of them go on sale around holidays

Isn't this the truth! Almost 40 years ago, my cousin won $3M from the lottery. Her boyfriend's ex-wife contacted him because she was planning to sue him for more child support. He didn't win... my cousin did. The ex told him that she must be sharing some with him and she wanted her share of that, too.

The BF didn't expect anything and the ex didn't get anymore, but they both incurred additional lawyer fees.

start with Ancestry. They have by far the largest database. You can take the results from that test and upload them to MyHeritage and Family Tree DNA. The next step if you are willing to pay for an additional test is 23&Me. Neither Ancestry nor 23&Me accept uploads from the other companies. Most of them go on sale around holidays
Interesting. I'll have to buy my DD an Ancestry kit for her birthday next month.

Through 23 and Me, she and my DS found a bunch of first cousins that were adopted into America, but they didn't find any of their siblings. Perhaps Ancestry will find some of them.

I'll also tell her to upload the data from 23 and Me into the other DBs.

Thank you and @rowan1813 for that advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter