Germany ABD lazy live trip report

White Rose

DIS Veteran
IMG_1583.JPG "Hallo" from Heidelberg! (Picture of the holy spirt church and marketplatz.)

I am going to try to do a live trip report but if i get behind, I will try to catch up.

Note: we came in yesterday and did the worst thing: took a short nap. We did NOTHING. We wasted a day.

We had dinner at the hotel bar, so awesome. The bar had carved wood benches and the music was techno. There is an event in the hotel and the restaurant was closed for it. We took some time exploring the hotel and taking pictures.

Today...
The trip officially starts tonight. 32 in our group. We met our tour guides, Alica and Zusa. It is high 60s, sunny. Perfect weather! We took the boat from the Marriott to old bridge. Not a lot of crowds, it can be cool in the shade. I am really enjoying the atmosphere of the city. We explored two churches and a few shops.

20170922_130854.jpg I am having an issue uploading pictures. Apparently the limit is 2 mgs. This was a building next to a church with a beautiful white interior. I will try to figure out how to get larger pictures up later when I am at the hotel.

20170922_130646.jpg
We are finishing lunch (extrablat) in Heidelberg, going to do some shopping and maybe buy a schneeballen. (Did i spell that right?)

Last edited:
Pictures from the room on my iPad. I know this is out of order, but here's a photo from my ipad of the Neckar river.

When we checked in a day early we were upgraded to the executive floor. This had nothing to do with Disney, but it was because we are Marriott gold due to my hubby's business travel. We have access to the exec lounge for the whole time in Heidelberg! We have a regular room, but it is on a corner and we have a tiny balcony with 2 chairs and a table. We have been keeping the door open when we are in the room, the weather is so nice!

We just came from dinner. It is a fun group. A few ABD newbies, one set of newly weds, and some people who have been together forever. 4 or 5 is the max I think for repeat ABDers. We are going to the steiff museum, 8 of us are going. We will be missing the medieval dress up, and leaving for the factory after pretzel making. We will miss afternoon on our own afterwards but hopefully back in time for a bit of shopping. We are getting a tour, lunch, shopping and the steiff activity. For the drive to Munich, we are leaving earlier and heading right to lunch and Oktoberfest.

Any questions, please ask! Edit: if you zoom in on the picture you can see small brick balconies straight across. That is what we have. Perfect for 2.

Attachments

• IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 26
20170923_103544_resized.jpg 20170923_103155_resized.jpg 20170923_102508_resized.jpg
Day 2
So today, another stunning day. 68, sunny. Cool in the shade. We started the day with the Heidelberg castle. We were split up into two groups, and had a prince elector take us around the castle. He was excellent. He explained the castle statues, the architecture, forced perspective, the three tragedies that put the castle in it's current state, and did it with finesse. Excellent.
20170923_130844_resized.jpg 20170923_111646_resized.jpg 20170923_124807_resized.jpg
After that, we took the funicular to the very top. We had passes included to go on it, but not to the top. Of course we had to go all the way and bought extra passes to take a very cozy ride to the top in a 100 year plus funicular. Oh, the views! They managed to get 5 adults across the row, and I could not move my arm to take pictures, o m g tight. I am a bit on the pooh sized, and it felt uncomfortable.

Afterwards we stopped and a pizza and kabap spot and had lunch, it was not far from the funicular entrance, and was next to the beer and pretzel shop. If you like thin crispy pizza crust..mmm. We found the schneeballe store and got two. Here is a picture with a reference point, a Marriott pen. I was surprised how big they are.

image.jpg
The one on the left is chocolate covered with almond slices and the right one is butter covered in cinnamon sugar. The butter/cinnamon is tasty, and will be awesome with a glass of milk or tea. We also got my husband some gummy bears. I am hoping to get a clock and maybe a few small Xmas things, but waiting for Rothenburg.

We are going to be heading out to meet the group for dinner in about 10 minutes. The crowds were amazing today. We did not wait, but if you have the chance, visit Heidelberg on a weekday.

And last, a swan and a random flower...20170923_155831_resized.jpg20170922_130530_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20170923_113151_resized.jpg
    20170923_113151_resized.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 32

Day 3 Alsfeld and Waldeck

Cooler, temps in the mid 60s, brief shower, cloudy skies. We woke up to fog...I mean FOG! It started to burn off and it was a cool day and a tiny bit of sunshine. We had a brief shower, nothing bad. We saw a piece of the Berlin Wall, got to meet the brothers grim, and a short play based on little red riding hood.
20170924_110141_resized.jpg 20170924_122304_resized.jpg

We had lunch in town hall building, several floors of winding staircases up to an awesome meeting room...I forgot to grab a picture! After lunch we had an option to check out the inside of the fairytale house, and it was quite unique.
20170924_111101_resized.jpg 20170924_131826_resized.jpg20170924_131340_resized.jpg20170924_115451_resized.jpg

After some on our own time, we met at the cafe that serves spaghetti ice cream, and it was raining lightly. Before long it stopped, and we were on our way to castle Waldeck.

I did not expect the hike up hill, and was not prepared for it. My lower back and hips were killing me. It was not long, I just should have stretched after the bus ride.

The hotel/castle is awesome looking. We had some lemonade and sandwiches and got some lovely pictures before we got our room assignments. The views! Wow. Even with the clouds it was lovely. The lobby is partially underground.
20170924_173337_resized.jpg20170924_173136_resized.jpg20170924_172015_resized.jpg20170924_155059_resized.jpg

The wifi is spotty...so, I am going to send this..crossing fingers.

Day 3 Alsfeld and Waldeck

, and we were on our way to castle Waldeck.

I did not expect the hike up hill, and was not prepared for it. My lower back and hips were killing me. It was not long, I just should have stretched after the bus ride.

The hotel/castle is awesome looking. We had some lemonade and sandwiches and got some lovely pictures before we got our room assignments. The views! Wow. Even with the clouds it was lovely. The lobby is partially underground.
View attachment 271925View attachment 271926View attachment 271927View attachment 271928

The wifi is spotty...so, I am going to send this..crossing fingers.

Ok - I'm happy I'm not the only one!! That trek up the hill, in the heat, was STEEP! I told hubby (and our guides :cutie:) that I understood that the bus couldn't make it up to the entrance, but we should have had golf carts! That was a rough walk - especially when we did it a few times to go eat in town or sightsee!
:p

I understand as
Ok - I'm happy I'm not the only one!! That trek up the hill, in the heat, was STEEP! I told hubby (and our guides :cutie:) that I understood that the bus couldn't make it up to the entrance, but we should have had golf carts! That was a rough walk - especially when we did it a few times to go eat in town or sightsee!
:p
Well, today we found a shorter but steeper path. It was easier somehow. Also another trick is to walk backwards for a few steps then switch back. It helps to stretch and remove strain on sore muscles.

Day 4 Walkdeck

We decided not to do the bikeride, slept in and had a relaxing ride on the lake. On the way to the boat we got to see the upside down house, but it was not open to see inside. 20170925_100545_resized.jpg

The lake is quite low because it has been draining to feed a larger river, due to drought. Apparently it was a natural lake that was artificially enlarged by flooding small villages. We were informed that a graveyard is visible, but not from the boat, because the river is low.

After relaxing, another uphill climb to the restaurant. It was a short walk, but I swear it felt like it was straight up hill. We had a good lunch, BBQ style, and marshmallow and chocolate desserts. The boat was really nicely appointed!

As soon as we got off the boat the sun came out. 20170925_115215_resized.jpg20170925_115142_resized.jpg

We got a great view of the castle/hotel today!
20170925_102236.jpg

After lunch we did some archery lessons, and had to walk up the hill again.

We took a gondola ride...wish I had taken pictures from the side. But here is one from inside.20170925_143324_resized.jpg

We did the beer tasting even though we are not beer drinkers. I can confirm I do not like beer. Lol. Afterwards we went to the well that was built by 2 prisoners kept in the castle. They were promised freedom once they found water. After 20 years of digging! they found water and were freed....but it did not have a Disney ending. See, the prisoners LIVED in the well for 10 years, and the first one up was blinded by the sun and died a blind beggar on the streets. The second, once freed, died from a heart attack because he was so excited. After the castle was abandoned 40 years later, the townsfolk used the well to dump their trash. The well was very very deep and it is only half the depth it was, and it takes a bucket of water 8 minutes to reach bottom.20170925_160450_resized.jpg 20170925_170503_resized.jpg

We explored the torture museum and I got a pic of a model of the castle. 20170925_173456_resized.jpg20170925_172535_resized.jpg

And then...the sun came out in it's finest glory, a postcard pic, bathing the lake with sunbeams!20170925_172427_resized.jpg

Day 5 Rothenburg

Note:I am having issues with getting my pictures to my iPad from my android phone tonight. The phone's pictures were not small enough, so I am reducing the size and emailing them in batches to my ipad. The internet, or something, is blocking me/causing the email to fail. I have been doing this over wifi, each night st the hotel. It is nearly 12:30 and we need to head to bed. I will try to edit this tomorrow. I have a ton of pictures to share.

Another foggy day that burned off by lunch. I have lots of pictures inside Wilhelmsthal. Apparently pictures are not usually allowed. So, without further ado... pictures.

We then went to Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe, it was quite foggy, so no view of Hercules.

Afterwards, we had a lovely lunch at Gutshof Restaurant.

Now the long trip to Rothenburg! The ride was long but the guides did a decent job of entertaining us, and they played Ella Enchanted. I watched the second episode from Outlander. My only complaint is they played the volume a tiny bit loud...but I was in the window seat under the speaker, and the aisle seat was much lower. Perhaps anyone complaining previously on other ABD trips might try the aisle seat. I have noise cancelling headphones, it was fine.

Our room is in the front of the hotel...I love quirky hotels and this one qualifies! Lots of cool antiques and strange small wooden doors...what an awesome place! Except the bed is nearly on the floor. I am short and I sink down into the bed. My knees are nearly at my chest. This is crazy....but I can deal with it for 2 nights. It seems like it is missing the boxspring.

There are no washcloths here, and I always use one...wish I knew that...I would have brought one from home. Seems like a strange amenity to miss to me. Apparently it is not a common amenity?

We had a great dinner at the Ratsstube. It was good. No issues with food quality or portion size for the whole trip.

The night watchman is next...good stories, good night time activity. It finished with a small bottle of wine per person, as a surprise. We had a Fanta option, so non drinkers were not left out. I am very pleased by this. I do not drink wine or beer typically. I will try samples and I am still trying to find one I like, but it has not happened yet.... I feel left out sometimes when employers give wine bottles as gifts, or at weddings where the bride and groom have bottles of wine as favors.

The fact that Disney had something for us non drinkers made me feel special, and they have not disappointed me at all. Speaking of food and drink..alcohol is available at a few meals. The food has been excellent. The portions are larger then I expected. There are lots of fried food. Bread is everywhere. The guides work with you so well. We have a couple folk with food sensitivitie/allergies and they have made sure to have not just options for them..but Good food choices!

I am a picky eater. I have certain foods that I can not eat. There are other foods I just do not like. I have mind ibd, and I have certain food combinations that I need to avoid. I do not like people hovering over me making sure I have something to eat. I know what I can have, want to have and can't have. ..no hovering please. I do not like these things pointed out or cause problems.

There are no washcloths here, and I always use one...wish I knew that...I would have brought one from home. Seems like a strange amenity to miss to me. Apparently it is not a common amenity?

This had me ROARING! I read somewhere that European hotels rarely have washcloths, so I bought a Costco package of washcloths for our first ABD, which took up precious packing room. Of course EVERY hotel in Europe that we've since been to (on 4 ABDS!) have had washcloths, so that is a BIG joke in our family.:goodvibes

The night watchman is next...good stories, good night time activity. It finished with a small bottle of wine per person, as a surprise. We had a Fanta option, so non drinkers were not left out. I am very pleased by this. I do not drink wine or beer typically. I will try samples and I am still trying to find one I like, but it has not happened yet.... I feel left out sometimes when employers give wine bottles as gifts, or at weddings where the bride and groom have bottles of wine as favors.
I have never had an employer give me a bottle of wine, or been at a wedding where the bride and groom gave out bottles of wine as favors. :) Bottles of bubbles, maybe, but no bubbly. ;) Now *I* feel left out!

The fact that Disney had something for us non drinkers made me feel special, and they have not disappointed me at all. Speaking of food and drink..alcohol is available at a few meals. The food has been excellent. The portions are larger then I expected. There are lots of fried food. Bread is everywhere. The guides work with you so well. We have a couple folk with food sensitivitie/allergies and they have made sure to have not just options for them..but Good food choices!
I've seen that also. ABD really excels at this.

I am a picky eater. I have certain foods that I can not eat. There are other foods I just do not like. I have mind ibd, and I have certain food combinations that I need to avoid. I do not like people hovering over me making sure I have something to eat. I know what I can have, want to have and can't have. ..no hovering please. I do not like these things pointed out or cause problems.
Mind ibd... This conjures up such images. :) (Yes, I realize it's a typo, but it struck my funnybone!)

Looking forward to your photos!

Sayhello

sorry for not writing...long days and hurting feet. my left ankle is swollen and the net at Kapinski is not good. I will be home Saturday and will finish sunday!

here is a teaser photo....we lucked out...the whole trip. completely perfect views!

Attachments

• 20170929_102620.jpg
    20170929_102620.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 38
sorry for not writing...long days and hurting feet. my left ankle is swollen and the net at Kapinski is not good. I will be home Saturday and will finish sunday!

here is a teaser photo....we lucked out...the whole trip. completely perfect views!

Wow gorgeous photo. Love the colors of the trees.

Gorgeous! I think that's one of the clearest photos I've seen!

Sorry about your ankle. I can totally empthize! I hope it gets better quickly!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!