"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" - A Running Journal

Regarding your question about my 5K race story, I can't explain how it happened, since the 5K and 10K bibs were supposed to be separate, but both races used the same start and finish line, and were run roughly concurrently. I suspect a volunteer saw a 10K runner come in at 13 minutes and figure someone had coded that runner's race wrong, and switched the kid over to the 5K, since who runs a 10K in 13 minutes? Of course, hardly anyone who runs local 5Ks runs a 13 minute 5K either, so that should've raised some flags, but it didn't.

Your story about the DQ due to unauthorized aid is an interesting situation. I hadn't really thought about it, but you're right, lots of races have "no outside aid" rules, and those get broken all the time. I think I'm OK with enforcing it for elites and fast runners going for money, awards, and Olympic qualifying, but looking the other way at the rest of the pack getting oranges and the like from the crowd (a buddy got a beer in a fall marathon - I'd have done the same if I'd seen the stop!). Almost every decent-sized marathon I've run has had a few locals setting up 'unofficial' aid stations. At the WDW Marathon, someone was passing out cookies, and I took one. Of course, I was also well outside my BQ time and any age-group awards, so if Disney has a rule against, I'd be in violation of the letter of the rule but not the spirit, since my 'cheating' didn't effect any of those outcomes. Interesting that the rule was enforced on that occasion.

Found a link to the story. Looks like it happened a couple of times during the race per the article which can seen here.

Found a link to the story. Looks like it happened a couple of times during the race per the article which can seen here.
Thanks for the link. It's harder to feel sympathy for her when it turns out she was warned about it, and she did it several times, even after she was warned. Plus, she was paced by someone on a bicycle too!

Well I'm late to this party---but I'm here following along! Hoping your Mardi Gras is going well Jerry, just remember, it'll be over soon and you can stop worrying about all of that king cake everywhere! Of course, this is south Louisiana so there is always something just as unhealthy and full of sugar or salt waiting for you--it does make it hard sometimes! My weakness as of late is a Jay's bar-b-q beef poboy. Man are those things good!

I saw your post about Mike the tiger several pages back. I just researched it Saturday and they are still looking for a young male tiger-they want it to come from a rescue or sanctuary, same place Roscoe (Mike VI) came from. And they are starting renovations on the habitat (if you can believe that it needs any!!) so that it is up to a rescue/sanctuary standards-this starts in April and should be finished for August. So it sounds like hopefully we will have another Mike sometimes later this year. They have decided that he will NOT attend any of the football games but be in the habitat instead-which I think is better.

Sorry to high-jack your running thread but just thought you would like to know that- if you didn't already.
I am slowly getting back on the road-damn hip had been giving me a fit so spin classes have been my training while rehabbing. I didn't realize how much I missed running, but I did.
Keep up your hard work. It will pay off!

Time to knock the dust off of this ole journal. 2017 did not go well, but its a new year. My goals probably need to be revised, but I will leave them alone until I see where I am at running wise. Finally not sick since the holidays and got a few runs in this week. 2 miles on a TM Tuesday, and 3.5 miles at home yesterday. Taking a rest day today and then run Friday and Saturday. Start next week with my standard 5 days a week.

Upcoming race will be a POT race on March 11 which will be the Amazing Half. Hope to get around 1:45:00, but I think thats a little aggressive goal as I lost all speed and stamina in 2017. Long term goal, WDW Marathon 2019 3:30:00. The journal theme still works today lol, time to get busy.

Are you running La Half this weekend?

I am registered.... But have not trained. I hate that I am missing out on it, but attempting it would only be a set back for me. My only chance for a POT will the the OLOL Amazing have in March. Hopefully this cool weather sticks around until then. Are you running any of the races this weekend? I also thought to defer to next year, but when I looked at the dates it would be exactly one week after the WDW Marathon. I did that the last time I ran WDW and about 5 miles into the half, I felt like I was on mile 22 of a marathon. Best of luck if you are running!

I understand! I'm doing the quarter with DS, DD and DH---should be interesting. Then doing the half on Sunday. I really love this course so hoping the weather behaves! You know I'm slow and I interval run-if you want a training run, a long training run, come on out!

I understand! I'm doing the quarter with DS, DD and DH---should be interesting. Then doing the half on Sunday. I really love this course so hoping the weather behaves! You know I'm slow and I interval run-if you want a training run, a long training run, come on out!

But that means I would need to go to the expo lol. I am tempted though. I have a few questions for you about this idea. Let me know when you have some free time.

Between 11:30 and 1 would be great.
I can do a packet pick-up if that's easier and you want to do this--man the weather is gonna suck!

Between 11:30 and 1 would be great.
I can do a packet pick-up if that's easier and you want to do this--man the weather is gonna suck!

Weather is actually to my liking for this type of event. I like cold race mornings though. I have to figure out a way to solve a Sunday morning problem before I know for sure what I will do. I will be downtown Saturday morning for the farmers market so packet pickup wont be that big of issue. I will give you a call a little after 11:30.

Against my original thought of not running my half this weekend, I decided to run it! I will take it easy, but I will cover all 13.1 cold miles on Sunday.

Great decision, and taking-it-easy idea is the right approach. Best wishes on your run!

cheering_minions-gif.251516

Time for a little update on running. Since the Louisiana Half Marathon I have kept up with my running and healthier eating. Running 4 times each of the last two weeks and add some weight training in there as well. Nothing major, but every little bit helps. This past weekend I got in a 8 miler without having to walk any of it and felt good when finished. Also seeing my efforts on the scale, so everything appears to be moving in the correct direction. This weeks goal is to run 5 days, and 3 gym days. I also plan on getting back into the double digits for the first time in forever... Thats my Disney insert of the week here. lol. Not counting the half earlier this month the last time I ran 10 or more miles without walking was on May 20, 2017. So ~8 months ago, I would say this is going to be a good run to boost confidence to continue to increase the weekend long run distance as well as longer mid week runs.

Sounds like you are making great progress and I'm sure you'll do great on your runs as you continue to increase that mileage!

It's been a while and the training has taken another hit. Limited time to get ready now so I am a bit concerned. Life keeps getting in the way, mostly work related, but grateful to be working so I wont complain to much. I will try to stay a little more active now that things are returning to normal for now.

Whoaa its been over a year since I've posted in this. This thread and my running habits seem to be in sync, little to no participation over the last year. I started C25k yesterday and just treating it like a brand new start at this point. I gained 75% of my weight back from my prime running days and I feel like garbage most mornings. I'm tired of being tired and the only time I really felt great was when I was living a active life style. So here's hoping to changes, a new beginning if I may.

My latest running activity was the WDW marathon, which I managed a PW with a finish time around 6:15:00 ish. For reference that would be a 2+ hour PW. Plenty of room for improvement. I think I am in a better place now then I have been and ready to focus on diet and training. I have both short term and long term goals to keep me motivated and support from my spouse. I will keep the long term goals out of the conversation for a while until I get some of the short term ones done. For now, the first goal is simple, run a 5k under 30 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!