Get me excited about SSR

We are staying at SSR in a few months - 2 bdrm villa standard. Thoughts on room request? my kids are 5, 7 and 10. Big swimmers. We will be driving to the parks mostly. Thanks!

I stayed in Congress Park and loved how close it was to Disney Springs - and I loved the boat transportation to DS. I also enjoyed the pool - quiet, calm and classical music. The quick service was good - loved refilling my mug and sitting on the porch- rocking in the rocking chairs while watching the sunset colored clouds above the main pool. It is a really pretty resort, quiet and peaceful. I didn't mind the buses and internal stops but sure didn't want to walk the resort in the middle of the day.

We are staying at SSR in a few months - 2 bdrm villa standard. Thoughts on room request? my kids are 5, 7 and 10. Big swimmers. We will be driving to the parks mostly. Thanks!
In your case, I'd choose the Paddock area for the themed pool with the attached counter service.

I applied the phrase, lipstick on a pig, to sum up the condition of the rooms at SSR.
On the surface they look nice but underneath there are issues that come from age and constant use.
I'm not sure the last time there was a significant rehab/refurb there (hardlines or softlines) but I'm thinking it's got to be close to another one.
Did you use a mattress topper by chance? And if not, do you think one would work well on the sofa bed?

I stayed there 2 weeks this year, both times in Congress Park. Here's what we enjoyed:
1. Easy walk to Disney Springs.
2. Easy secondary entrance/exit to Buena Vista Drive if driving. A quick trip to stores, other restaurants, water parks.
3. Didn't feel too crowded. The buses weren't packed, the food court wasn't packed, the pools weren't overcrowded.
4. Great pool slide and activities. My kids loved them. There are two feature pools, but my kids preferred the larger one by the lobby and restaurants.

Overall, I really enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere and things were hassle-free. The resorts is spread out and requires a bit of walking, so if you have mobility issues I would likely pick a resort that's more compact.

Did you use a mattress topper by chance? And if not, do you think one would work well on the sofa bed?
Yes we did use a mattress topper and it made it useable. Without one the floor would have been more comfortable

We just stayed at SSR & AKL, & my kids slept on both..They much preferred the ones at AKL.. They said they were more comfortable..:confused3 Maybe they were much newer, Beats me. I do know that our bed @ SSR was definitely much more comfortable though... AKL,'s felt like we were both falling off the bed on both sides..LoL

How long of a walk is it from Paddock pool to main pool? We are all in good shape- particularly our energetic kids. I picked a standard 2 bedroom villa for a lot less/night (and I'm going to request paddock because "quiet pools" aren't for us). Thanks!

How long of a walk is it from Paddock pool to main pool? We are all in good shape- particularly our energetic kids. I picked a standard 2 bedroom villa for a lot less/night (and I'm going to request paddock because "quiet pools" aren't for us). Thanks!
It's not a far walk at all. Maybe 5 minutes. We tried Paddock on day. My kids spent 10 minutes there and wanted to go back to the main pool.

I am checking into SSR for 8 nights (out of 17 night stay) for the first time this year. We couldn't get in OKW this year as we booked too late, but we are expecting it to be similar. We have a car so don't use the transportation, so the sprawling size of the two resorts doesn't bother us, in fact that's what we love about it. Peace and quiet, a lovely balcony to sit out on, busy as well as quiet pools to choose from. We stayed at AoA, never again - way too chaotic for us, we stayed at Beach Club - a lot of foot traffic (people not staying there coming to dine/look around), so to us OKW, and hopefully SSR, are exactly what we are looking for. It's horses for courses, so try not to let other people opinions ruin it too much, I'd say go with an open mind and see for yourself what you think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter