Getting ready to take the plunge!?

JamesD01

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone, I really love this board and it's been an absolute wealth of information to help us make our decision. We are at the point where we know we WANT to buy into DVC, but the devil is in the details (i.e. HOW).

I know all the pros and cons (I think) after reading hundreds of posts.

Here is our plan:

1. Buy 150 to 200 points resale for BLT.
2. Buy 25 to 50 direct points for BLT, so we get benefits.

I think the pitfalls at the top of my list are:

1. whether we can find 150 to 200 points for resale at a good price?
2. whether we're able to buy 25 to 50 add on points direct in same UY?
3. I know benefits can be yanked in the future, but we're willing to risk that.
4. temptation to buy another resort other than BLT :)

If anyone has suggestions on something that maybe I'm not seeing right now that may foul up our plan, it would be very much appreciated!

Have you stayed at BLT? Other than being in walking distance to the MK, we don't care for the resort, it doesn't feel like a Disney themed resort, just feels like any hotel anywhere. We still visit for the viewing deck. We bought before it opened and still have contracts there.

:earsboy: Bill

1. You should be able to after January 1. The price will be better than the $185 direct for sure.

2. This won't be a problem. Release this worry.

3. eh.

4. If your heart's not with BLT, buy where your heart is.

My wife and I executed the same strategy. We found a 160 point BLT contract listed at Fidelity, closed on it, and then got on the wait list for 30 additional points. The wait list came through about 3 weeks after we got on it.

As for whether you can find a contract at a good price, that is a very good question! The prices, which had been soaring for several months, have settled down on resales. As we're near the time when annual dues statements come out, there will be more listed for sale, which may make sellers price a little more competitively, or make them consider accepting an offer less than asking price. Today, buying at $135 per point, and factoring in the difference in closing costs, would save you about $6600 versus buying direct at BLT. That $6600 savings would buy you about 35 direct points.

I'd caution you against purchasing at any DVC resort unless you've stayed there and know that it's the one for you. While you may be able to book somewhere else at 7 months, it's not guaranteed and may prove to be frustrating to you.

Also echo the advice to stay at the resort before you buy it as your home resort. At first BLT sounded amazing to me because you can walk to MK (and I still LOVE being able to do it). But after I stayed there, I really didn't like the resort--the theme or the fact it feels so big and disconnected from the main Contemporary building. Personal opinion though, I know others feel differently, but that's why I love DVC--so many resorts to choose from :-)

I was lucky that I got to take several DVC trips at different resorts with my cousins before buying, but you could rent points and try BLT before committing. Or even do a split stay and stay half at BLT and half at another resort to compare.

But otherwise, if you know you want BLT, the plan sounds good. You'll definitely save money with resale and then adding on 25 points. You may need to wait for the right deal, or for the direct points to become available.

I basically did what you're proposing in July. Bought 160 pt resale, added 25pt direct.

I personally LOVE BLT. It's not for everyone though. We did rent at BLT before we purchased though to make sure it was right for us.

Buy where you want to stay the most though. It's too much money to not be 100% happy. We almost bought Poly direct, and considered buying OKW or SSR points instead of spending the extra on BLT. Ultimately we felt BLT was our "home" and it was worth the extra money to make sure we were going to be 100% happy on our trips.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Totally makes sense to stay at BLT or wherever we end up buying. All the resorts have been so great, I didn't even consider the fact that we would not like one of them! I'll chalk it up to pixie dust in the eyes :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter