Getting to Early morning ADRs during Marathon Weekend

txcorey

Mouseketeer
We will be at Disney the weekend of the marathon. On Saturday Jan 6th, we have an 8:10 am reservation at Garden Grill in Epcot. Saturday is the day of the half marathon, which starts and ends in Epcot.
On Sunday, the day of the full marathon, we have an 8am reservation at Be Our Guest in MK. What do you think would be the best transportation option for both of those, and how early do you think we need to leave to make our reservations? We've never been during marathon weekend, so I'm not sure what to expect. Thanks for any advice!

It's likely that there will be no buses to Epcot on Saturday morning. If so, buses signed "Epcot" will be dropping off at TTC, and from there you will take the monorail to Epcot. Traffic will be very congested around TTC, as many of the roads in that area will be closed, and buses may be taking a roundabout route.

On Sunday, it's also likely that buses to MK will be dropping off at TTC, and you will take the monorail to MK.

I'd suggest being at the bus stop at ASMu by 6:30 am in both cases.

Uber or Lyft will not get you any closer than Disney Transport, as they will be dealing with the same road closures and congestion, and may in fact not know the proper routes to take.

I wouldn't worry about being a few minutes late for your reservation. I think all the in-park restaurants expect Guests to have transportation difficulties on those days. But it wouldn't hurt to call Disney Dining around the time of your reservation if it looks like you'll be late.

And know that walking in Epcot will be stop and go as well. The runs tend to finish with a jaunt through Epcot, and there will be ropes and CMs stopping first traffic and guiding them. Expect to be held up at a certain point and being allowed to cross at certain points. With that expectation, feel free to take the opportunity to cheer and clap for the runners, walkers, and intervallers you’ll see!

Give yourself plenty of time, and pack your patience, and you will be good to go following the advice of the above posters.

It's likely that there will be no buses to Epcot on Saturday morning. If so, buses signed "Epcot" will be dropping off at TTC, and from there you will take the monorail to Epcot. Traffic will be very congested around TTC, as many of the roads in that area will be closed, and buses may be taking a roundabout route.

Not exactly true. There is race transportation to Epcot. It runs from 3-5 and then 7-11. It is available for all (not just runners) It is possible that if you took a 7 am bus, you would be able to make it to Epcot for an 8:10 reservation. And since the bus is coming from ASM, then it will avoid most race traffic, since the half doesn't go past Epcot Center Drive.

Sunday will be the bigger challenge with more roads closed, including portions of Osceola.

Good luck. I'll be doing Dopey so I'll be one of those runners you're silently cursing for messing up your plans! ;)

Not exactly true. There is race transportation to Epcot. It runs from 3-5 and then 7-11. It is available for all (not just runners) It is possible that if you took a 7 am bus, you would be able to make it to Epcot for an 8:10 reservation. And since the bus is coming from ASM, then it will avoid most race traffic, since the half doesn't go past Epcot Center Driv
Sunday will be the bigger challenge with more roads closed, including portions of Osceola.

Good luck. I'll be doing Dopey so I'll be one of those runners you're silently cursing for messing up your plans! ;)
I was aware of the race transportation, but do you know where they drop off? I think the starting area is a bit of a walk from the park entrance.

OP: If you elect to use the race transportation, be aware that the pickup area at the resort may be apart from the resort bus stops, and that you may be riding Mears or other charter buses rather than the usual Disney buses. Ask concierge or bell staff if you don't see the sign for "Race Transportation pickup."

We were staying at Coronado Springs in February 2017 during a marathon weekend. Buses were all running late...we were trying to get to the Magic Kingdom so we got to the first bus stop about an hour before the parks opened. When the bus finally showed up, it was standing room only and it took about 50 minutes to get from CSR to MK. Traffic was a nightmare...barely crawling. Fortunately, they did go ahead and drop us off directly at MK instead of at the TTC. But we still missed rope drop by about an hour.

Also, they announced several times on the bus that restaurants would honor ADRs if you were late due to the traffic. And it was super obvious when we went to our ADR at Trail's End later that afternoon...everything had been pushed back and we had to wait longer than usual to be seated.

I was aware of the race transportation, but do you know where they drop off? I think the starting area is a bit of a walk from the park entrance.

OP: If you elect to use the race transportation, be aware that the pickup area at the resort may be apart from the resort bus stops, and that you may be riding Mears or other charter buses rather than the usual Disney buses. Ask concierge or bell staff if you don't see the sign for "Race Transportation pickup."

It is absolutely a bit of a slog to the entrance to Epcot, but doable (I use it every year to get to the monorail to find a place to watch DH run the marathon, but I get on one of the super early buses).

I would NOT rely on the race day specific transportation, each resort doesn't necessarily get a bus at exactly 7am, by that time everything is so backed up on the roads around WDW that buses have a hard time getting back to the resorts, and basically anywhere, it is much more of an approximate time than they make it sound. It is possible that it would work out for the OP, but having attended a decade of run Disney events, I personally would not rely on it. I have heard many horror stories of other families waiting for that bus to see their runners (and completely missing them) because the bus didn't make it to the resort anywhere near 7am.

I am going to throw this out there as I have never tried or know if it is possible to do. Take an Uber to Beach Club and use the IG to enter for GG reservation. Will not have to get into race traffic and straight access to GG. Thoughts?

You can either call a cab or use a Minnie Van. :)
They will drop you off where you ask. I personally would be dropped at Beach Club and the go into EPCOT through International Gateway.

I am going to throw this out there as I have never tried or know if it is possible to do. Take an Uber to Beach Club and use the IG to enter for GG reservation. Will not have to get into race traffic and straight access to GG. Thoughts?
I think that would work on Saturday, but I'm not 100% sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter