GF VS Poly VS WL

hcox31

DIS Veteran
Pricing out these three options for next summer. We're cruising on the Disney Dream, leaving on a Monday, so staying pre-cruise at a MK resort for 3 days prior. We want to be close to MK, 6 adults and 3 kids (under 10) total.

Which of the 3 resorts would you stay at if money were no object? Would you do meal plan or club level?
Grand Floridian
Polynesian
Wilderness Lodge

I'm a fan of the Poly. I like that it is an easy ride to/from MK. I like that the beach is directly ( or pretty close to directly ) across from the MK. Really good viewing of the fireworks and the water show at night on the water. I don't think you can lose with any of the properties but for me, WL is the hardest to get to/from the MK.

They are three different resorts, each with a very different atmosphere, so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. My family prefers the WL, because of the three it's our favorite themed resort given that we're national park junkies. WL also feels isolated from the hustle and bustle of the outside world, which is nice. GF feels like it has the least Disney theming, and almost like you need to whisper while walking through its Victorian hallways less you disturb someone with sensative mouse-ears. But, if that's you speed, it would be a fine choice, though I believe it is also the most expensive of the three. We haven't been to Poly, but lots of people seem keen on it.

I don't think you can lose with any of the properties but for me, WL is the hardest to get to/from the MK.

WL has direct boat rides from its dock to the front of MK, which are generally quite enjoyable and fast. The little boats and the ride are one of our favorite parts of staying at WL. They also connect you directly to Fort Wilderness and Contemporary if you have any need to go to those (such as Hoop Dee Do or using the monorail). Sometimes, you do have to wait a little while for one to come by, but not so different from many bus route waits. Bus service to the other parks is convenient at WL in our experience.

Poly hands down.

WL 2nd.

Hate GF.

I'm a MK girl, that being said we're leaving tomorrow and staying at BC b/c we got an great deal. I'm not trilled to be staying there. Poly is my Disney home.

GF would be my first choice. It's WDW's signature resort, the service is impeccable, IMHO, the rooms recently refurbished and there are a variety of good restaurants to choose from.

The theming at Poly is fantastic, but the restaurants, IMHO, are really lacking (the QS set-up is super chaotic) and there is zero shade at the pool.

If you don't care about restaurants or pools, I might lean toward Poly for the theming and the ability to walk to TTC to catch the EP monorail. If you are looking for a better, overall resort, I would still go GF.

WL is beautiful, but you will get much smaller rooms and only a boat to MK.

The dining plan doesn't work for our family. I much prefer paying OOP and simply ordering whatever we want and not being stuck with snacks or food I don't want. Especially with the addition of alcohol to the plan for Disney "adults", it makes zero sense for us. So, if I had to choose between a dining plan and CL, I would go CL.

If you DO book CL, I might lean a little more toward Poly. The Poly CL lounge and longhouse are fantastic and I do actually prefer Poly CL over GF CL!

Of the three and with your family make up, I'd probably pick Poly. It's not our favorite of the MK resorts but it is very kid friendly so it might work well for your family. Without the kids, I'd probably go GF first then WL. We have stayed at GF and Poly but not WL so I can't really say. We don't do the meal plan, it just doesn't work for how we eat since there are days we just want to knosh all day. As far as CL, I'm not a fan. I've stayed CL at CR (was a free upgrade). Frankly for the price of CL, I just can't justify it. You get breakfast, cookies and such in the afternoon and evening appetizer type food and beer and wine. I can buy breakfast, beer and wine and appetizers for much less than the nightly rate of CL. The rooms are not any better, I've read reviews where the view is actually worse. I know there are loads of people who love it but for my money, it's not worth it and I can afford it.

Pricing out these three options for next summer. We're cruising on the Disney Dream, leaving on a Monday, so staying pre-cruise at a MK resort for 3 days prior. We want to be close to MK, 6 adults and 3 kids (under 10) total.

Which of the 3 resorts would you stay at if money were no object? Would you do meal plan or club level?
Grand Floridian
Polynesian
Wilderness Lodge

We've stayed at all 3..... I probably wouldn't stay at WL again. The rooms are tiny, and we found them to be very dark. The resort itself is very pretty, but we just weren't big fans of the rooms or the dining options on property, with the exception of Artist Pointe.

We've stayed at the Grand Floridian on our past two trips- once at Christmas, which was truly the most magical trip ever, and at Halloween. We love the ambiance of the resort, the service is great, we love the rooms, the grounds, the bar, the band, the lobby, and the dining, although the quick service wasn't as good on our second trip as it was on the first. We stayed at the Polynesian in May 2013, and we are going back this August. We chose it for this trip because the Poly is very summery.... I'm so excited about Trader Sams, the pools, and their dining options seem really great. It just felt right for a summer vacation. I will say I don't remember being wowed by the Poly in 2013 the way I was wowed by the Grand in 2014, but Christmas at the Grand is pretty tough to top.

Anyway, my top two choices would be the GF and the Poly!

Oh and the Grand is very kid friendly.... our three and then 4 year old loved it. She still talks about the resort two years later. There are kids and families everywhere.

Stayed a most of the deluxe resorts--GF is my favorite. We don't stay at the MK resorts much anymore as we prefer access to Epcot, but boy do I miss the GF... seriously considering switching our BWI reservation this holiday season to GF just because.

Grand Floridian
Polynesian
Wilderness Lodge

The Wilderness Lodge is beautiful but I don't view it as a summer resort. The Polynesian seems more appropriate and is laid back. However since you'll need at least two rooms, WL would be cheaper.

The Grand is very nice but I don't know, over time I've stopped feeling comfortable there. It just seems so uptight. It's also the most expensive.

As far as the dining plan versus club level: I've stayed in CL rooms and never tried the DP but based on what I've read it seems the DP can almost be too much food at times, especially the deluxe plan.

Club level has just enough food to hold you over for breakfast and in between lunch and dinner.

Since you'll be going on a cruise after the stay you'll have plenty of time to feast on food during your trip.

I LOVE the WL but now give the edge to the Poly after our March trip. It is a great resort to stay at with young kids. Love the multiple ways to get to the MK. Also being able to watch the EWP and fireworks from the beach is awesome. We have never stayed the GF and plan to try it out for our next trip. I think any of the 3 would be a good choice.

I've stayed at all and love all three. You definitely cannot go wrong.

I've never done a meal plans but CL would be nice for lounge, kids and adults would love it, and for extra help with planning.

Also, what about one of the new cabins at WL??

I've never stayed at any of those, but I would choose the GF or Poly if price wasn't a deciding factor. They're more deluxe, and those are the next two I want to try.
Loved CR on last visit, lots of families but still very elegant lobby, big beautiful rooms, water parade, great food options, and best of all- walking distance to MK!

Btw- tried CL at BC, agree with loves to dive- not worth it. Food not great, most of the time missed it as at the parks or pool, very expensive. I think if it was a "just the resort not the parks" trip I might try it again, but probably not. Too many options at the resort to try.

We have stayed at both the POLY and WL several times but never GF. DH thinks it's "stuffy". I think the POLY would be a great fit for your family. The rooms are huge and you can walk over to the direct monorail to Epcot if you want to go there. We love OHANA for dinner (just make reservations at the 6 month-mark) and breakfast (great kids breakfast) and Kona has a good breakfast. The walk-up place is the same as the rest to us.

We never do the meal-plan and our only Club-level stay we found that we only did breakfast and evening dessert/cocktails so we didn't think we got a lot from it.

The studios are also nice and sleep 5 with a extra shower/sink area.

Grand Floridian
Polynesian
Wilderness Lodge

We've stayed at all 3 and love all of them for different reasons. With that said, my choice would be Poly CL. We do like the DDP, but if the choice was DDP or CL, I'd do CL. The Poly is our favorite resort and although we haven't tried CL there yet, I have read a lot of great reviews lately (and the view from the lounge is supposed to be amazing). Good luck deciding, but all are great resorts and you really can't go wrong with any of them :).

I've stayed at all and love all three. You definitely cannot go wrong.

I've never done a meal plans but CL would be nice for lounge, kids and adults would love it, and for extra help with planning.

Also, what about one of the new cabins at WL??

Hi johnsonet :wave:

I've stayed at all three and would personally rank them 1. WL 2. Poly 3. GF.

In terms of onsite amenities, the Poly probably has my favorites--Captain Cook's, Ohana, Kona for breakfast, Oasis Pool + bar, quality of gift shops.

The WL just has such a calm, tranquil feel. You just truly feel like you're on vacation. The boat to MK is quick and really fun, but if you're in a hurry, the bus ride is literally less than 5 minutes. I like both options.

We're debating between these same resorts. We stayed at Beach Club last trip and loved everything about it, but we wanted to do something different next time. We definitely want Deluxe. I was shocked to see that Poly (my first choice) is $721/night compared to the rest of the Deluxe options, which are mostly in the $400-500 range. I'm still really far out (November 2018), but I am trying to get an early jump on things. I'm nervous because while I do want a different experience, I'll be sad if it doesn't live up to how amazing Beach Club was for our family. I considered maybe a split stay between Poly and BC, but my husband doesn't really like the idea of moving, even though Disney makes it easy.

We've stayed at all 3 multiple times and you can not go wrong with any of them. That said- we would pick the Poly. Here are my quick thoughts on all 3.

1. WL is a lower price but the trade off is smaller rooms. The resort is beautiful. The boat to MK is nice. You must take buses (as far as WDW transportation) to the other parks from WL, but we have always found the bus service to be decent there. Sometimes, not always, buses to one or two of the parks are shared with Fort Wilderness, but we still have never had much of a problem with the buses. Everything is one building which makes it easy. Also, if I want to leave DD with DH in the room at night and go to the shop or lobby, it is inside the same building.

2. Poly. Rooms are big. Resort area is beautiful. You are on the monorail resort line, but also a short boat ride from MK. We sometimes chose the boat just because it was a nice ride. You are within walking distance of the TTC (travel and transporation center) which means you can walk over and take the express monorail to EPCOT or MK. This is the biggest benefit of the Poly over the other two for us. It has always been a big timesaver. We spend the most time at those 2 parks, so the easy access to either one was great. We LOVED the access to the TTC. The buses to the other 2 parks are fine- we have never had any major issues. We usually took them from the Poly, but you can also walk to the TTC. The resort grounds are very lush and green, but if I wanted to leave DD with DH at night and go to the lobby shops, it could be a far walk and not always the best lit and not open so you can see everything around you because of all the greenery. Sometimes I would get a little anxious as I would be the only person on a path with tall greenery on both sides, which gave me a silly fear of someone popping out from behind the greenery. That would be my only downside. Trader Sams has been added since our last stay, so I would bet there is a lot more lighting now- and also I'm sure the paths have more people up and down them in the evenings.

3. GF. Again, the resort is very pretty. The rooms are larger than WL and a good size. You are on the monorail line, but also a nice short boat ride to MK. The lobby has great live music at night alternating between a piano player and band. If you have little girls and are looking for a character meal, 1900 Park Fare has a Cinderella Dinner (which my DD has always loved) and a breakfast that has characters like Alice and Mary Poppins. We've never done the breakfast- too big a hurry to get to the parks- but have done the dinner many times. Although most rooms are in out buildings- the area is wide open and well lit without tall greenery on the paths, so if I wanted to leave DH and DD in the room and go to the lobby/shop area I never felt the remote bit anxious about being alone. You can see everything around you as you are walking. The only downside for us at GF is the bus service to the other parks. It often leaves a lot to be desired. We have had very long waits and due to shared buses, have had times when a bus came by, opened its doors and said it was full, but the next one would be along "soon".

We never do the dining plan. We have done the math and price wise, it would not save our family any money. Some people it will save money- it depends on how much you eat; what your eat; and your meal patterns. We have only done club level at YC. I will say it is hard to go back after you have done club level once. Whether the price is worth it depends on if you are going to use it. For us-- we don't do full pre-park opening breakfasts. DD is not a morning person so setting her there by rope drop is hard enough without trying to do a table service meal earlier. Club level was great to pop in every morning on the way to the park and grab breakfast. It was also nice to have drinks and snacks available if we were back at the park. YC with us being walking distance from EPCOT and DHS it was easy to pop in if we here hopping parks- some places we don't ever go back to the resort during the day- so it would not be quite as convenient.

Last edited:

Grand Floridian
Polynesian
Wilderness Lodge
Grand Floridian. It's the prettiest, and MK is only one monorail stop away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter