Ghibli museum

I’m thinking it’s a good sign for us getting ghibli tickets. They responded today and took our credit card info. They said we should hear back March 4. I’m really hoping we get our first choice in dates

It is as good a shot as it can be I think... if you live in Japan you can buy tickets a month prior but you have to be IN Japan, so the companies take preorders then try to secure them when they are released. I ordered mine through Voyajin but its the same process... they have charged my card but I wont know if they were able to get them for another week or so. Eek!

It is as good a shot as it can be I think... if you live in Japan you can buy tickets a month prior but you have to be IN Japan, so the companies take preorders then try to secure them when they are released. I ordered mine through Voyajin but its the same process... they have charged my card but I wont know if they were able to get them for another week or so. Eek!
Definitely not the most fun process but they’ve been really quick to respond to my emails. I guess we’ll see what happens and if for some reason they can’t get us tickets we can still try Lawson’s

If you are talking about the tickets you can get via Lawson you don't have to be IN Japan anymore, you can access their website, and they even now have an English version of it!, but of course it is fastidious and the tickets sell out very quickly.

If you are talking about the tickets you can get via Lawson you don't have to be IN Japan anymore, you can access their website, and they even now have an English version of it!, but of course it is fastidious and the tickets sell out very quickly.
I'm hoping JTB comes through so I don't have to go the Lawson route

Got an email and we got tickets for June 1!!!! I’m so excited!!!!! That’s the day we wanted and everything. I emailed back because there wasn’t a time listed. It’s shipping with our rail pass. It’ll be so nice to have all of that before we go

ETA: Apparently we can go in at any time. I didn’t realize the doors open every 2 hours though

Last edited:
Got an email and we got tickets for June 1!!!! I’m so excited!!!!! That’s the day we wanted and everything. I emailed back because there wasn’t a time listed. It’s shipping with our rail pass. It’ll be so nice to have all of that before we go

ETA: Apparently we can go in at any time. I didn’t realize the doors open every 2 hours though
JTB tickets are good for anytime on the day it’s booked for. People suggest to go between the door opening times for shorter wait such as 11:00, 1:00, etc. However I plan to go at opening around 9 am, hoping to get into the cafe on rooftop which opens at 11 am.

JTB tickets are good for anytime on the day it’s booked for. People suggest to go between the door opening times for shorter wait such as 11:00, 1:00, etc. However I plan to go at opening around 9 am, hoping to get into the cafe on rooftop which opens at 11 am.
We are planning on getting there for the 10 am opening. Should we get there at 9:30? Is that early enough? The JTB people said 15-30 before the doors open.

We are planning on getting there for the 10 am opening. Should we get there at 9:30? Is that early enough? The JTB people said 15-30 before the doors open.
Which day of the week are you going? I would go earlier if it’s a weekend. Otherwise 30 min should be ok.

Which day of the week are you going? I would go earlier if it’s a weekend. Otherwise 30 min should be ok.
Unfortunately it’s a Saturday. I didn’t even realize that. I just had to look it up. We didn’t have much of a choice since it’s closed until the end of May and we needed to go June 1

So since we are going on a Saturday do you think we need to get there a whole hour before the museum opens at 10?

So since we are going on a Saturday do you think we need to get there a whole hour before the museum opens at 10?

Since tickets are limited and you already have the tickets, arriving at the museum 30 minutes prior should be ok. You will definitely be able to get in and it shouldn’t be too crowded. If you have little kids, it’s not easy to entertain them in queue for an hour. For me, I am interested in trying out the café, so I would like to get in earlier. DD will be 22 and we have no problem entertaining ourselves checking out the exterior of the museum, taking pictures or playing Pokémon Go during that 1-hour wait. I hope to book tickets for a Monday with Saturday as my second preferred day.

Update:
Most blogs recommend 30 min before the museum opens. Here’s a picture of the line 10 min prior. The blogger arrived at 9:30 am.

C4CC4431-9549-48BC-BAFE-873BEF9F26CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Since tickets are limited and you already have the tickets, arriving at the museum 30 minutes prior should be ok. You will definitely be able to get in and it shouldn’t be too crowded. If you have little kids, it’s not easy to entertain them in queue for an hour. For me, I am interested in trying out the café, so I would like to get in earlier. DD will be 22 and we have no problem entertaining ourselves checking out the exterior of the museum, taking pictures or playing Pokémon Go during that 1-hour wait. I hope to book tickets for a Monday with Saturday as my second preferred day.

Update:
Most blogs recommend 30 min before the museum opens. Here’s a picture of the line 10 min prior. The blogger arrived at 9:30 am.

View attachment 386269
I think we’ll still plan on going an hour early and just walk around taking pictures. Then we will get in the actual line around 30 minutes before. It’s just Dh and I so no kids to entertain. We also plan to walk from the train station instead of taking the shuttle bus so we might just take our time walking over through the park. I want to eat something from the cafe too!

I think we’ll still plan on going an hour early and just walk around taking pictures. Then we will get in the actual line around 30 minutes before. It’s just Dh and I so no kids to entertain. We also plan to walk from the train station instead of taking the shuttle bus so we might just take our time walking over through the park. I want to eat something from the cafe too!

We are planning to walk from the train station too! Make sure to get off from the Mitaka Station and check out the shuttle bus stop to Ghibli Museum. It would definitely get me excited for sure!

332D6173-9EA4-40E3-8ACE-BB04870AE896.jpeg

If you want to eat at the café you'll have to go straight to it when you enter the museum, and wait till it opens. I already went to the museum 3 times and there always was a queue right from the opening of the museum.. I went to the café last time at 10h30 and they told me there was a 2!! hours wait (and the café opens at 11) ! we settled on the small window booth where there was also a little wait and had some food with the Ghibli beers ;).

If you want to eat at the café you'll have to go straight to it when you enter the museum, and wait till it opens. I already went to the museum 3 times and there always was a queue right from the opening of the museum.. I went to the café last time at 10h30 and they told me there was a 2!! hours wait (and the café opens at 11) ! we settled on the small window booth where there was also a little wait and had some food with the Ghibli beers ;).
Oh geez I think we will skip the cafe then. That’s not worth it to us at all

Oh geez I think we will skip the cafe then. That’s not worth it to us at all
I read some reviews saying there are lots of mosquitoes. DD is very allergic to mosquito bites. After being bitten, she gets huge blisters that are half a ping pong ball large in size. We will bring insect repellent but if the line is too long, we will skip the cafe. It’s not worth the effort and risks.

I read some reviews saying there are lots of mosquitoes. DD is very allergic to mosquito bites. After being bitten, she gets huge blisters that are half a ping pong ball large in size. We will bring insect repellent but if the line is too long, we will skip the cafe. It’s not worth the effort and risks.
Bring extra with you because most Japanese insect repellent has either no or very low levels of DEET.

Bring extra with you because most Japanese insect repellent has either no or very low levels of DEET.
I didn't even know this was a thing. I'm glad you guys said something. I didn't even think to pack insect repellent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!