Give me your best advice for planning a Shanghai and Hong Kong trip!

meryll83

All it takes is faith and trust...
Hi All,

For many years I've been thinking at some point we'd do the Adventures by Disney China tour, but given the expense, and that our real focus is to do the Disney parks, I'm now starting to plan and price up what this trip might look like if we went DIY...

I'm thinking something like...
  • Fly from the UK into HK
    • Taxi/Uber to HKDL resort
  • 3 nights HKDL to give us 2 full park days (staying onsite)
    • Taxi/Uber to HK (some city hotel near Macau ferry)
  • 2 nights HK (city)
    • Walk to ferry terminal
    • Ferry from HK to Macau
  • 2 nights Macau
    • Taxi/Uber to Macau airport
    • Fly to Shanghai
  • 3 nights SDL to give us 2 full park days (staying onsite)
    • Taxi/Uber to airport
  • Fly from Shanghai to UK
I believe the limited stay in Shanghai would mean we can use a transit VISA rather than have to do a full application.

I'm finding TDR Explorer a very useful site for information, but for those of you that have visited these parks or are in the planning process, what's your best advice / things to bear in mind?

Thanks in advance!

I lived in Hong Kong for two years, and just left a few years ago. Here are some thoughts on your itinerary.

• Fly from the UK into HK
    • Taxi/Uber to HKDL resort

You can take any of the 3 taxi options from the airport to Disney. I suggest taking a blue Lantau taxi from the airport to Disney.
  • 3 nights HKDL to give us 2 full park days (staying onsite)
    • Taxi/Uber to HK (some city hotel near Macau ferry)

You’ll be looking at hotels in Sheung Wan then. I have stayed at the SoHotel before in Sheung Wan, which was nice 3 years ago, and about a 5-10 minute walk to the Macau Ferry terminal. Taking a taxi to Hong Kong island from Disney will likely be pretty pricey-If I were doing it, I would take the MTR to Hong Kong station (just 1 transfer at Sunny Bay from the Disney land resort line); and then a taxi from Hong Kong station.
  • 2 nights HK (city)

What do you plan to see?
    • Walk to ferry terminal
    • Ferry from HK to Macau

Book your ferry tickets ahead of time-they were never sold out when we went, but the line to buy tickets can be long!!!!
  • 2 nights Macau

What do you plan to see in Macau? For us, it was a one day and done thing. Don’t miss the House of Dancing Water show!

Are you planning to take a hotel shuttle from the ferry pier to your hotel?
    • Taxi/Uber to Macau airport
    • Fly to Shanghai

I agree with the advice to take the train from HKDL to the city. It’s really easy to navigate.

It’s been a few years since I’ve been to SHDL and HKDL, but I had a great time at both. In addition to TDR Explorer, I also found the resources on Disney Tourist Blog to be very helpful.

I lived in Hong Kong for two years, and just left a few years ago. Here are some thoughts on your itinerary.
Perfect, thank you for all the advice!

Can you tell me more about the blue Lantau taxi? What's the difference between this and the others?

If we take an MTR from HKDL into is the ticketing straight forward? Can we pay on a card?
And how pricey are we talking for a taxi? I don't mind paying a bit for the convenience...

I don't actually know what we should see when we're in HK itself, I just figured we should probably have some time there! Recommendations gratefully received!

I was considering whether to just do Macau and back in a day - is there a showing of the House of Dancing Water early enough that we wouldn't need to do an overnight stay?

Thanks again!

Can you tell me more about the blue Lantau taxi? What's the difference between this and the others?

There are 3 taxis in Hong Kong: red taxis, that can go pretty much everywhere that you would want/need to go, green taxis, which can go anywhere in the new territories, and blue taxis, which can only go to Lantau island, where the airport and Disney are. You will probably never need a green taxi.

The starting price of each differs-with blue being the cheapest, followed by green, and red being the most expensive.

If we take an MTR from HKDL into is the ticketing straight forward? Can we pay on a card?

You can buy a single ticket for the MTR, but most people use an octopus card, which you can buy at any station. An octopus card is a refillable card that you can use for all public transit, and also at most stores. You can refill it at any station or convenience store.

If you buy a single ticket, it’s very easy-select the station you want to go to, and it’ll tell you the price. I have no clue if you can purchase tickets with a card though-I always used an octopus.

And how pricey are we talking for a taxi? I don't mind paying a bit for the convenience...

From Disney to Hong Kong island, I’d guess at least $250 HKD, depending on what tunnel they take. Probably closer to $300. The MTR would be less that $15 HKD.

I don't actually know what we should see when we're in HK itself, I just figured we should probably have some time there! Recommendations gratefully received!

If you have time while on Lantau, go to the Big Buddha. I like walking around the markets in Mong Kok. Most people will recommend going to the Peak-it’s ok, I never spent much time there. I like looking around the escalators area. There is the 10,000 Buddha monastery. The history museum is also nice.

I was considering whether to just do Macau and back in a day - is there a showing of the House of Dancing Water early enough that we wouldn't need to do an overnight stay?

I think 1 night in Macau is a good idea-you can see the show at night and see the sights during the day. Unless you really like to gamble, 2 nights is a lot. I believe that there are late night ferries to go back to HK, but I’m not sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter