Glorietta Bay or Hotel Del Coronado

ahill004

DIS Veteran
Which one is better? We had decided on the Coronado until I saw several postings about Glorietta Bay Inn. What can you experts tell me about the two places? I know they are across the street from one another but is one nicer than the other? Is there any perk to staying at the Coronado vs. Glorietta? HELP?!! I don't know which one!

Haven't stayed at the Del -- too pricey for me! Stayed at Glorietta Bay once, for a wedding when they booked a block of rooms at a deal. Very nice place; we enjoyed it. But the Del is the Del! When we stayed at Glorietta, we went across the street, toured the Del, and spent time on their beach. If you're staying at the Del, obviously, you're that much closer to the beach and their amenities. And you'll have more opportunity to gawk at their glorious architecture. But you'll have to pay their prices for the rooms.

HTH,
Bob

We are going on our first trip to San Diego this July. I had wanted to stay at the Hotel Del but the price was too steep. Add the $25 resort fee per day plus parking charges and it climbs even higher. We are staying at the Glorietta Bay. I am so happy to hear that GrandBob enjoyed his stay here. The Hotel Del would have cost us $250 more per night:eek:! Good luck with your decision-- if $ does not matter I would stay at the Del-- imo.

Depends on how much you want to spend and what your needs are (couple vs. family).

If you stay at the Del, you get all the perks of staying at the Del. Don't know exactly what the perks are except that you're at the Del, LOL! Closer to the action, closer to the beach. Nice hotel. :)

Glorietta Bay Inn is right across the street, so with regards to proximity, it's won't be a big deal if you don't mind crossing Orange Avenue to get to the beach (an extra few minutes and steps). GBI has a range of hotel rooms, from typical hotel rooms to suites, to more "bed and breakfast" type rooms in the mansion building. DH and I stayed in one of their mansion rooms and really loved it. I highly recommend any of the mansion rooms. :thumbsup2

So...IMHO, if I had to choose between the Del and GBI, with money not being an issue, I'd stay at the Del in one of their beach village oceanfront rooms or one of their suites. If it was just DH and I, we'd also consider staying at the GBI in one of their mansion rooms if we wanted more of a B&B feel.

I'd stay at the GBI if I was with my family and needed a suite for more room and/or to save money.

I agree with everything munchinsmom has to say. If someone else were paying for it, I'd stay at the Del. That said, we thoroughly enjoyed Glorietta Bay. We stayed in a 2 BR suite, with DSS (step-son), DDIL, and DGD. Granddaughter was 4 at the time, and we had no problem taking her across the street (holding her little hand, of course) to see the Del and play on the beach. Very short walk. We all had a ball playing on the beach.

The 2 BR suite was very nice, bordering on luxurious. If I'm paying for it, GBI is a much better value.

-Bob

I'm torn between the two now! We can afford the Del but if there isn't a huge difference in amenities and the Glorietta Inn is luxurious as well then maybe we should save money and stay there?? I just don't know. One perk with the Del is the pool being ON the beach (I think it is)? Does anyone know for sure? It is nice going from one to the other easily. What is the pool like at Glorietta Inn?

Yes, the Del pool is on the beach. But it's a very wide beach. Perhaps as much as 100 yards from the water. But still, a few steps down and you're on the sand.

Munchinsmom is right again, Del pool is better than Glorietta.

-Bob

Wife and DGD on the beach behind the Hotel Del. The pool is behind DW -- see the green umbellas by the pool. (BTW, I was wrong. DGD was 3 when we went there).

The ocean is behind me as I'm taking the picture. There's probably another 20 yards of beach behind me.

BeachAtDel.jpg

Wow. You are right! THat is a LOT of beach between water and pool. Thanks for the picture (your wife is very pretty by the way)!

Here is a link to Google Maps showing The Del, the pool GrandBob is referring to, and the Glorietta Bay Inn:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...28,-117.176732&spn=0.004858,0.011362&t=h&z=17

The pool GrandBob refers to in his picture is the large, rectangular pool (near Sheerwater). The map also gives you an idea of how much beach there is between the hotel's pool and the water. In addition, you'll be able to see where GBI is located. Zoom in and you might be able to see more of the pool areas for both hotels.

HTH!

Wow. You are right! THat is a LOT of beach between water and pool. Thanks for the picture (your wife is very pretty by the way)!

You're welcome! And thanks for the compliment for DW. I always thought she was very pretty too :thumbsup2

-Bob

The del hands down.
Better pool, hot tub, walk out right to the ocean, eat lunch on the deck as you view the ocean, ice cream shop, shops in the lower part of the del, and the list goes on. My kids still claim this as their favorite vacation.

Here is good shot of the Del's pool:

DSC00118.jpg

The Ocean View Deck is just to the left of this shot. Imagine a deck that wraps around the pool. There was live music going on the Sunday we were there which gave it a very festive feel. They also have a bar and grill where you can get soda and hamburgers which was nice.

The hot tub:

DSC00120.jpg

I have more pictures if you there is something else your interested in. Have fun!

KCMike - I would love any pics you have! Is the pool really crowded all the time? Is it worth it to get the cabana at the pool so we have chairs? (We will be there in July).

This is on the deck. Just below would be the main pool area and if you turned around you would see the Pacific Ocean.
DSC00187.jpg

Sidewalk along the beach/ocean
DSCN4117-1.jpg

Front drive
DSCN4121.jpg

The naval base is just south of the Del and so you will see alot of flyovers and marines running on the beach. When we were there they did some night practicing of going out on the ocean in the dark. We were told it was their two week do or die training.
DSCN4154.jpg

Looking South onto the Del
DSCN4159.jpg

Inside the courtyard
DSCN4174-1.jpg

One more for tonight
DSC00119-Copy.jpg

Wow. It is really beautiful. I didn't expect the beach to be so long and wide. And the Del is gorgeous!

I have a lot of pics from here. Coronado is an amazing place. I love the shops and eateries as well on the island.

DSC00130-1.jpg

DSC00129-1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter