Glow Sticks/Bracelets on Airplane?

eagillinois

Mouseketeer
For those of you that have taken glow sticks/bracelets and flown in the past, Do you put them in your checked luggage or carry-ons in clear plastic bags? Have you ever had an issue with Security?
I ordered bracelets and Necklaces for our March trip and they came in cardboard tubes. I was worried if I put them in my checked luggage, it might look suspicious a round tube object with glowing liquid! I could take them out of the tube and put them in a zip-lock to carry on because they are all less than 3 oz and are clear. Should I just ship them? Am I overthinking this?
Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing. Just to avoid any issues with security I had them mailed to my resort.

I took glow bracelets for our 2007 trip and put them in checked baggage. I had no issues with security. Hope that helps! :thumbsup2

I put them in our checked luggage. I had 2 tubes of bracelets and 4 packages of glow sticks.

I just called SouthWest Airlines (I'm bored at work) and they said to put it in your checked bag because it's a liquid.

We took two tubes of bracelets on our January trip, and had no problem with security. Put them in our checked luggage and we were good to go. :thumbsup2

These were a GREAT idea that we will definitely take more of on our next Disney advenutre. We handed some out to the kids who were dining near us at Sci-Fi Dine In, and they were thrilled. On our way to the bus at DHS, my DH handed one to a little girl who stopped, incredulous, and said to her mom ... "I think I was just dreamed!". :rotfl2: We had a good laugh!

We checked ours. Buy them at the dollar stores. We stocked up on them and we didn't even use them all.

I put all of ours in my checked bag and they arrived safe and unharmed...I packed them between my shorts...they were a blessing one night during Spectro Magic as the children next to us were very antsy...my little great nephew gave them a few of ours and wow, how they settled down...

Thanks for all of your responses, I feel much better now! I bought 50 necklaces and 100 bracelets for my 3 and thought we could give out any we had left. I was just worried about getting them there!

As a side note, my sister works at Dollar Tree and I talked to her about buying them there because I had read several posts indicating that is where to purchase them. It was cheaper to buy them in a large quantity from amazon.com. I'm sure there are probably other sites that sell them in bulk as well.
:thumbsup2

I always bring them and put them in my checked luggage. I have never had a problem.:thumbsup2

We bought a ton of these things I put them in my checked luggage with no problem.

My girls wore probably 20 or more at a time and then handed them out to kids all over the parks. It was priceless to see the faces of the kids when they realized they were giving them to them. They kept saying "You mean they're free!" :rotfl2: It was priceless. The parents were so grateful not to have to buy the very expensive glow items in the park.

Put them in your luggage and stock up on some extra because when your kids start spreading pixie dust it's as addictive for them as these boards are for us!

We bought a ton of these things I put them in my checked luggage with no problem.

My girls wore probably 20 or more at a time and then handed them out to kids all over the parks. It was priceless to see the faces of the kids when they realized they were giving them to them. They kept saying "You mean they're free!" :rotfl2: It was priceless. The parents were so grateful not to have to buy the very expensive glow items in the park.

Put them in your luggage and stock up on some extra because when your kids start spreading pixie dust it's as addictive for them as these boards are for us!

We did the same thing, gave them to the kids around us. It was great, and my kids loved sharing. They never asked for the expensive glow items.

I also ordered some off ebay and just hit the parks with them.... I had two tubes of sticks, and checked most, but actually took some on the plane in my backpack! We were going directly to the parks, and I didn't think that ME would have our luggage to the hotel in time (they actually did!) so I took out about 25 sticks (and connectors), wrapped them in plastic wrap, then wrapped several times in packing tape to stiffen them. I took my Pampered Chef opener thingie (the teeny ceramic blade thing) in my back pack as well to free them - it worked pretty well. I only lost three to premature breakage.

I had no issues thru security... but I was prepared to have to give them up if need be. I have found that it is entirely dependant on the particular airport how stringent the security is.... and have found that very small airports are BY FAR the most strict. I fly out of Columbus... we've gotten on the plane with mini-bottles of vodka (and then found out it was illegal - OOPS!)...

The kids *loved* them, and I have a ton left for the next trip. I got 200 8" sticks, with 200 connectors for just under $20 including shipping. They were fabulously bright, and lasted about 6 hours at full light.

YAY - glow sticks!

At night time parades and performances they sell light up spinny things and things that glow. To save money stop at the dollar store and bring glow necklaces for the kids. We love having them on at night. It looks neat. BTW the spinny things are around $15:eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter