Gluten/Wheat Free Deserts

Ok, I have another question about food allergies at Disney...

We have purchased the dining plan for our upcoming vacation. My husband has Celiac Sprue, a food allergy to wheat, gluten, oats, barely, etc., etc., etc. My question is, since we got the dining plan and he is entitled to desserts with the counter service meals, what is out there that is gluten free for him to have? He can not eat the cookies, brownies or cakes that are the dessert options for counter service meals. Anyone have experience with this? Do they have special things for him to eat? Do I have to call in advance to the counter service places to let them know that we are coming there to eat? I would kinda feel like I'm being ripped off if he doesn't get his dessert, after all I did pay for the dining plan & it's included (I guess that makes me cheap ;), that's unlike me).

Thanks all!

Kris & Steve said:

We have purchased the dining plan for our upcoming vacation. My husband has Celiac Sprue, a food allergy to wheat, gluten, oats, barely, etc., etc., etc. My question is, since we got the dining plan and he is entitled to desserts with the counter service meals, what is out there that is gluten free for him to have? He can not eat the cookies, brownies or cakes that are the dessert options for counter service meals. Anyone have experience with this? Do they have special things for him to eat? Do I have to call in advance to the counter service places to let them know that we are coming there to eat? I would kinda feel like I'm being ripped off if he doesn't get his dessert, after all I did pay for the dining plan & it's included (I guess that makes me cheap ;), that's unlike me).

Thanks all!

Hi, Kris and Steve. I haven't seen your other post, but maybe Deb Wills' website could help you with some suggestions at http://www.allearsnet.com/din/guestceliac.htm

You can look at her extensive list of menus at her site too.

Sincerely, Ray :)

I think someone gave you a phone number for WDW food service in another thread (I don't the phone number handy, but I'm pretty sure it is listed on Deb Wills site). Someone at that phone number can put you into contact with the supervising chef/manager for the counter service and food carts. They can give you lists of ingredients/safe foods and let you know that the options are.
I don't blame you at all - if you paid for dessert, he should be able to have some.

Fruit. I usually got chocolate milk for the drink, and called that my dessert. I don't know if pre-arranging when and where we were going to eat and trying to get a "special" dessert would have worked, because I didn't try. I consider CS meals to be a spontaneous/when-i'm-hungry kind of thing.

I was really worried about CS desserts when I left. I was on the dining plan, and I knew everyone would be eating these great looking desserts, and I was worried that I'd be cranky because I wasn't getting a great dessert. However - TS desserts are really good, and I found that a bowl of grapes was all I wanted after most CS meals. I did use a few snack credits on monkey tails, and IMHO the mickey bars are fine (they're run on shared equipment, so Nestle won't certify them).

CS at the resorts are better too. I had a lot more options there (mostly ice cream/frozen novelties). The gluten-eaters in our party didn't like the included desserts much, so I ended up not feeling bad because I was different.

Generally the alternate dessert for celiac/wheat allergies is fresh fruit. I believe some of the full service places will also offer Rice Cream. In general the counter service places are limited on what they can offer special. You'll have much better luck with the full service places. And be careful of the fies, they are lightly breaded.

Anne

For counter service (and sit down) do place a call to in advance to make your requests. Disney asks for 72 hours notice, but for the more common dietary requests 24-36 hours seems to work. In researching the book, we found that most counter service places were happy to accomodate you with advance notice.

Ask to speak to the chef! A good deal of the counter service attendant CMs that we encountered couldn't really answer the question or gave incorrect answers. If you are in a park for the day; first thing head to the counter service place, ask for the chef and confirm your request. Or in some cases if you didn't get to call in advance, make your request. They will try to accomodate you but can't guarantee.

If you are staying at a Disney resort with counter service, go speak to the chef the first day you arrive. Usually after the lunch rush is quieter and the regular chef is on duty then. If a chef is unavailable ask for the manager. We have found the chefs, especially at POP and the AllStars to be great when we spoke to them!

Even when given a specially prepared food item, check with the chef when they give it to you to make sure it's what you requested.

Most counter service eateries now have an ingredient list for foods on the menu that is available to see upon request. They also have this at the food and wine festival booths around World Showcase!

Any other questions, feel free to post them....

Deb Wills
Co-Author Passporter WDW For Your Special Needs

Kris & Steve said:

We have purchased the dining plan for our upcoming vacation. My husband has Celiac Sprue, a food allergy to wheat, gluten, oats, barely, etc., etc., etc. My question is, since we got the dining plan and he is entitled to desserts with the counter service meals, what is out there that is gluten free for him to have? He can not eat the cookies, brownies or cakes that are the dessert options for counter service meals. Anyone have experience with this? Do they have special things for him to eat? Do I have to call in advance to the counter service places to let them know that we are coming there to eat?
Thanks all!

We weren't on the meal plan but we were able to make special arrangements this summer at both counter service restaurants at our on-site hotels (CR and CSR) for special things for William to eat/drink (he is type 1 diabetic and also highly allergic to peanuts/tree nuts so all of the baked goods were out for him and many of the popsicles, etc). The counter service restaurant at the CR was nice enough to bring over a bunch of Itskadoozies for us to have (we paid for them as we ate them) as snacks because there was not much William could have there for dessert. The CSR arranged to have sugar-free lemonade to drink for him (we paid like a regular drink). After talking to the chef there and as he was walking me around their food stations I noticed they had a big bowl of peanuts next to the chinese food station - so easy for a young kid to reach up and see what is in that bowl - LOL! I just said something (to myself) like "ah - I'll remember not to walk William back here cause I could just imagine him trying to check out what's in those bowls!" I swear after that they moved the peanuts away from the edge (accessible by adults but not by little kids anyway). Anyway...the chefs are really quite careful and helpful - you'll be amazed.

Brenda Bennett is such a great resource that I'm sure she can help you in the parks arrange for the type of dessert your husband would like and be able to eat with his CS meal.

My DSinlaw is celiac - I ordered a cake from the BW bakery. She had it all week to eat. She said it was great! It only cost $12 (the standard cost for a small cake there). They normally have some gluten free mixes on hand for requests. It never hurts to ask.

Additionally, my DSinlaw had a gluten free meal at Boma that would make a person want to have celiac. TJ was the chef and he brought her appitizers based on what she liked. Made this towering dinner creation (again with all the seafood she liked) and a dessert to die for. We took pictures because it was all so beautiful. DSinlaw actually teared up - they also let her box up her extras because it was made speacial for her. We also did breakfast a Boma and they had a selection of about 8 flavors of muffins for her.
Hope this helps. One of the chefs at the counter service place in ABC commisary said to just ask to speak to the chef in charge then - that they love to have the chance to make different foods.
Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter