Going from balconies to an ocean view?

mrsgthatsme

Mouseketeer
We have been on several cruises in the past, and have always chosen balconies on upper floors. We loved our balcony rooms, however, we are considering a last minute cruise that is significantly less if you sail in an oceanview on deck 2. Would you expect that we would be super disappointed in sailing in an oceanview (specifically on a lower deck) if our past experience was only with balcony staterooms? We have two elementary aged kids if that makes any difference in your opinions. :) Thanks!

That would be a difficult adjustment for us. At least I think it would be but we've never actually sailed in anything but a veranda cabin. I guess I'd make the best of it though considering the savings. After all, any cruise is better than no cruise. :sail:

We flip around on stateroom categories depending on the price. Last August we were in spacious balcony on Mariner, but then DH and I stayed in Promenade on Independence. Back in balcony for next one, then back to interior (trying 2 rooms)...and for cruise in 2021, we are all back in a single interior.

It really depends on pricing. I'd rather cruise more often, then less often in a better room. I admit that the balcony is really nice, but we manage fine if not and really spend very little time in the room. And for an ocean view, you can still see the water so that's a nice compromise.

We're frequent DCL cruisers and our next cruise on March 30th aboard the Fantasy, we'll be on deck two in three ocean view cabins. It'll be our first cruise in a non veranda cabin. But it had nothing to do with pricing or cabin preference, it was all about availability. We needed three cabins for that week and CM availability is what it is, take it or leave it. This cruise is not about us, it's all about being able to take the adult children and grand-kids. We'll be fine.

Thanks for the opinions. I have read some places that deck 2 ocean views can be noisy with the waves hitting the windows hard... did anyone here have that experience?

My second cruise - I think it was in the late 80s - on the Carnival Holiday, was on the lowest deck in the furthest aft interior room. Our family of 4 stayed there (R248 for everyone!). It was a great time and we didn’t care one bit about the room lacking amenities.

I say this to point out that it’s all in your frame of mind - and you need to get your family on board too. For my family - we were all totally on board with more vacation opportunities but more cramped rooms.

how old are your kids?

Deck 2 would be a NO GO being too close to the water line on an ocean cruise, but a "river cruise" on Deck 2 with a balcony would be acceptable. Unlike many cruisers, we are "room people" who would rather not cruise than settle for an "anywhere non-balcony" room location just to cruise. Guess we are "Verandah Snobs." :rolleyes1

My second cruise - I think it was in the late 80s - on the Carnival Holiday, was on the lowest deck in the furthest aft interior room. Our family of 4 stayed there (R248 for everyone!). It was a great time and we didn’t care one bit about the room lacking amenities.

I say this to point out that it’s all in your frame of mind - and you need to get your family on board too. For my family - we were all totally on board with more vacation opportunities but more cramped rooms.

how old are your kids?
My kids are 12 and 9

My kids are 12 and 9

I think that for younger kids who need mid day naps etc - the balcony is more important than 12 and 9. Heck - my kids are staying out later than me at this age on cruises so I don’t even worry about the end of the night watching tv while they are asleep!

As long as everyone has a strategy for getting ready in close quarters you would be fine - if you wanted to be!

For those with napping or early to bed kids - I think the balcony is a little more important to having a good week.

I can’t speak to the noise on deck 2 question at all...if you wouldn’t be near the anchor I have read to expect noise from that at early hours on port days..

Thanks to all for your insights and comments. I really appreciate hearing from those who have cruised with a variety of room types!

We actually prefer an ocean view with my son. Balcony gets little use if he is with us but he LOVES to stare out window. Deck 2 is too low for my taste but my parents love it down there as they find it less rocky. Enjoy! Cruising is my favorite holiday.

We've had ocean views and verandas. My dh and I prefer a veranda but my kids actually prefer the ocean view. Like a PP said they like to stare through the porthole. With 3 kids we generally get two connecting staterooms so we are opting for ocean view on our next cruise to save money.

We had a deck 2 on our first cruise. I will tell you it was quite the surprise to open the curtains one morning and be face to face with a Tender Boat captain! I would be ok with a lower porthole room again but I don’t think my husband would. He loves sitting out on the balcony and I think it would be one of his strongest preferences.

For a three night cruise and the savings, we actually booked the ocean view. We’ll see.

I was on deck 2 (on DCL) and loved it - it was convenient to dining and very quiet. no noisy waves that I remember. I am probably the odd one here but I actually did not like having a balcony - it was extra money and I felt forced to use it rather than spend time up and about on the ship and other decks. so to me, I personally do not like balconies (unless it was cheaper than an inside). I have also stayed in an inside room and had zero problems with that. hardly ever in room except to sleep and change. I prefer sitting out on a deck with the wind blowing my hair and reading a book or napping if I am not doing some other activity. so there is another perspective for you! :)

I can't speak to deck location but we did balcony on first cruises and switched to oceanview to save money. We actually liked the oceanview a lot better b/c it was at the end of the hallway on our ships and ended up being a lot quieter. We didn't regret the switch at all in my experience.

hardly ever in room except to sleep and change.
This will be our eight DCL cruise and it will be the only cruise without a veranda. My wife always wanted it, but I couldn't care less. For us, and as you said, the room is just for sleeping and changing. Other than that we're never there.

I’m a suite or bust kind of traveler. I can do a verandah for a weekend cruise.

That said, I’m a “room” person. I’ve never looked at a room (cruise or hotel) as just a shower and a place to change. A nice room has always been important. I find the common areas of the ship uncomfortably crowded most of the time and love having a quiet balcony. I’d much rather sit and drink my coffee or read or even eat sometimes on the balcony.

I think whether you can go from a verandah to not a verandah comfortably depends on how you use/view your room.

We have been on several cruises in the past, and have always chosen balconies on upper floors. We loved our balcony rooms, however, we are considering a last minute cruise that is significantly less if you sail in an oceanview on deck 2. Would you expect that we would be super disappointed in sailing in an oceanview (specifically on a lower deck) if our past experience was only with balcony staterooms? We have two elementary aged kids if that makes any difference in your opinions. :) Thanks!
I’d do it. I’ve never stayed in a balcony or verandah room actually. I’m one that would rather spend the money on other things. I do enjoy an oceanview now and again but interior in fine for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter