Going Saturday - a few questions:

Jaina

Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long, VMK story.
We don't have EE and are planning to grab a Maxpass for Space and then hit Indiana Jones first on Saturday. (We have a first-time almost-12-year-old with us, and she loves Indiana Jones. I haven't hit IJ first since it was new in the late 90's; is it usually running right away? I think that would be an impressive first ride. We're just going to have to wing it, and pray that Maxpass keeps functioning well all day.

Also, does anyone have good instructions for where to find the Disney Visa Meet & Greet in the afternoon? I am the proud new owner of a shiny Sleeping Beauty Castle Visa card (haha) and am excited to take advantage of this when most lines are long and warm. Also, I see that I get discounts some places with my VISA, but are they the same/different than I'll get with my AP (also new - I've never had one, and I'm picking up my physical Flex Pass at the ticket booths Friday evening!!)? Is there value in using them together anywhere, or is the discount capped at 10%?

Am I crazy to leave our hotel in Buena Park at 6 am to hit the parking garage early and get in line for an 8 am opening, or is that on the late side? I haven't been to an 8 AM opening for almost 2 years, and never on a Saturday, I don't think... I've been on a lot of busy Mondays the last few years, but I'm feeling nervous after seeing the lines this last weekend on the app...

Thanks oh-so-knowledgeable friends!

You should be plenty early leaving at 6am, probably too early. But the last couple weekends I've been visiting in the evening instead of the morning, so I can't say specifically how crowded the gates have been at open lately (the parks sure are crowded in the evening though!!).

If you're worried about being too early, you could always have a quick grab n go breakfast in DTD or one of the hotels (La Brea, Craftsman Grill, Tangaroa Terrace) to get the magic started early. That way you can scope out crowds and adjust accordingly.

I will likely be there for 8am opening this Saturday though, so I'm also wondering what crowds will be like at open this weekend.

Also, I see that I get discounts some places with my VISA, but are they the same/different than I'll get with my AP (also new - I've never had one, and I'm picking up my physical Flex Pass at the ticket booths Friday evening!!)? Is there value in using them together anywhere, or is the discount capped at 10%?

You'll have to pick one or the other, the discounts cannot be combined. I don't think there's anywhere that offers a Disney Visa discount that doesn't also offer AP and the amount will be the same for both (10%) since you are Flex- and there are quite a few more places that offer AP discounts that don't qualify for Disney Visa. Only restaurants in DL for Disney Visa are French Market and River Belle, for example, whereas AP discounts are just about everywhere except the carts (popcorn, churros, ice cream etc). Flex merchandise discounts also do not require a $50 minimum like Disney Visa. So I'd say just use your AP discount all the time to keep it simple.

The one place I've found where your Disney Visa discount will work better than your AP is online at ShopDisney.com. Sadly, no AP discount there, so use that Disney Visa discount wisely and make it count! (And also at Disney Stores in the mall. For WOD in DTD, decide between your AP and Disney Visa depending on the amount of your purchase, i.e. under/over $50.)
For the Disney Visa photo, go to Launch Bay.
IJA isn't always running first thing in the morning. Check the app every day this week to see if it is running first thing or, if it isn't, what time on average it opens in the morning.
Have a super fun time and get lots of photos with your first time guest! And don't forget her first visit button!

Thanks a lot for all your answers! I figured that's how it was, but it was a pleasant surprise to find out that I got a discount at the Disney Store the other day with it! I didn't know that, and mostly got the card for the statement credit and for the extra character greets!

Usually (specially on a Saturday) the entrance to IJ backs out into Adventureland at rope drop, past Jungle Cruise. But it's just due to the crowd condensing into single file at the ride entrance. If you are near front of rope drop, you won't see it. If further back, the backlog may form quickly in front of you.

Assuming the ride is open, don't give up on that line. It can cause many people to second guess their morning plan. But it just takes a few moments to clear the backup into the queue. If the ride is not open, CMs will be announcing it at the entrance. There will still be a crowd who stops to listen to them and ask questions, but not a line. So it will be pretty obvious if you need to divert.

Thanks a lot for all your answers! I figured that's how it was, but it was a pleasant surprise to find out that I got a discount at the Disney Store the other day with it! I didn't know that, and mostly got the card for the statement credit and for the extra character greets!
One nice surprise to keep in mind is that ShopDisney.com lets you stack coupon codes! (Shhhh...) So on eligible merchandise, you can use your Disney Visa discount AND any current ShopDIsney coupon codes, e.g. for free shipping. This can make shopping for birthday and Christmas gifts much easier! Especially when there is a big online sale! :)

ETA: Keep an eye on the rolling expiration dates on your reward points! We had a friend lose all her points (hundreds!) right before her trip to WDW (and, of course, she couldn't get them reinstated). Once the points are on your reward card or on a Disney gift card (we use our reward card to buy gift cards at WOD), they won't expire.

Last edited:

Am I crazy to leave our hotel in Buena Park at 6 am to hit the parking garage early and get in line for an 8 am opening, or is that on the late side? I haven't been to an 8 AM opening for almost 2 years, and never on a Saturday, I don't think... I've been on a lot of busy Mondays the last few years, but I'm feeling nervous after seeing the lines this last weekend on the app...

Thanks oh-so-knowledgeable friends!

In my opinion you can never arrive too early on a Saturday! We arrived in the parking garage at 7:09 for an 8am rope drop and we were standing at the rope by 7:35. This was in the summer. We are going Sunday and my plan is to arrive in the garage by 7:10. I feel discombobulated if we don’t rope drop because I really enjoy walking on multiple rides the first 1-2 hours and we get so much done. I’m a bit concerned we won’t be early enough, but we are driving in from San Diego and I can’t get out the door much earlier than we already do!

Have fun!!!

One nice surprise to keep in mind is that ShopDisney.com lets you stack coupon codes! (Shhhh...) So on eligible merchandise, you can use your Disney Visa discount AND any current ShopDIsney coupon codes, e.g. for free shipping. This can make shopping for birthday and Christmas gifts much easier! Especially when there is a big online sale! :)

ETA: Keep an eye on the rolling expiration dates on your reward points! We had a friend lose all her points (hundreds!) right before her trip to WDW (and, of course, she couldn't get them reinstated). Once the points are on your reward card or on a Disney gift card (we use our reward card to buy gift cards at WOD), they won't expire.

Good to know on the expiration date. That would be completely awful! :-( I was able to stack a few coupons recently on ShopDisney (hello Loungefly backpacks that I don't need but make me so happy) but for some reason some of the others wouldn't work. I don't remember which ones. And you can't stack in-store. :P Here are my pretty backpacks. I already had Groot from earlier this year, but the other two I got for $99 for both stacking discounts and coupons!
ONk4U6s.jpg

In my opinion you can never arrive too early on a Saturday! We arrived in the parking garage at 7:09 for an 8am rope drop and we were standing at the rope by 7:35. This was in the summer. We are going Sunday and my plan is to arrive in the garage by 7:10. I feel discombobulated if we don’t rope drop because I really enjoy walking on multiple rides the first 1-2 hours and we get so much done. I’m a bit concerned we won’t be early enough, but we are driving in from San Diego and I can’t get out the door much earlier than we already do!

Have fun!!!
Thanks! We will definitely be there nice and early I hope! Way better "too early" than when they're already letting people in! :P

Good to know on the expiration date. That would be completely awful! :-( I was able to stack a few coupons recently on ShopDisney (hello Loungefly backpacks that I don't need but make me so happy) but for some reason some of the others wouldn't work. I don't remember which ones...
Those backpacks are cute, cute, cute! The fine print for the coupon codes (and there is usually a lot of fine print!) lists which brands don't participate in the discounts -- usually it is the big name brands like Dooney, Pandora, Le Creuset, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter