Going to the parks with a baby

aimb

Mouseketeer
What is the best strategy for taking a baby to the parks? We're leaving on Saturday for an 8 day trip to Disney with our 8 month old son. Are we nuts?? I'm getting more and more anxious about it and starting to wonder if we've made a huge mistake.

We're taking our big, reclining stroller so our son can nap at the park, and we also have a backpack carrier to use so he doesn't get bored being in the stroller all day. We're staying at an off-site resort (1 mile away), and DS has a very early bedtime (7pm), so going back to the hotel for a mid-day break/nap and then returning to the park in the evening isn't a good option for us. Am I being completely unrealistic to think an 8 month old will last at the parks from opening until around 4pm? Is getting him to nap in his stroller just wishful thinking? Please, any suggestions/tips are appreciated! :)

I don't think you're crazy, but some people may think I am. Our DD has been 4 times and she is just two years old. And DD #2 just got her first trip under her belt at the tender age of 3 weeks. And we ALL had fun!

Just remember to pace yourselves, there are lots of quiet places to sit down and rest in the parks. My DD has always been able to get a nap in her stroller as long as we found a cool and relatively quiet place. We had great luck in restaurants during off peak hours, finding an out of the way corner and DH and I got a drink to sip on.

The baby care centers in the parks are great places to visit. They have areas where children of any age can get down on the floor and have some "self" time with toys. If there are night time activities you want to enjoy consider spending a morning around your hotel pool, and head in later in the day after your little one has had a good nap. I was surprised that our 2 year old was able to stay up through fireworks, and not have any meltdowns, by carefully pacing our day and taking a long nap.

Have a great visit!

I think an 8 month old is easier than one that has just started walking. We took our youngest at 3.5 months and again at 8 months. I was nursing, so no bottles to haul around or anything. It was a breeze. He napped in the stroller. Be extra careful of sunburn though, as I've read that a lot of babies get their feet, etc... burned while sleeping in their strollers.

Oh, 8 months is a great age! We took my GN when she was 7 months, and she loved all the people and colors and sights. She loved the characters and went on many rides with us. Her favorite park ride was CoP, and her really favorite ride was the golf cart at Fort Wilderness! This was in August, and we had fun. She'll be almost 2 1/2 when we get there in

32 days!!

We took our twin boys at 9 months. It worked out great. When they napped in the stroller we usually stopped to eat and relax or just did alittle shopping in the stores. They enjoyed the parks and we had a great time. Took our third son at 4 months and again did not have any problems. the baby care centers are great, but I found I did not use them to often as we were not always close to one. It wasn't worth the effort to go across the park to get to one. Found nursing on the TTC worked out great - slow ride and the baby just drifted off to sleep very relaxing. I would put him in the stroller again and off we would go. Have a great trip. Your never to young to go to Disney!

I agree - my only comment would be try to to worry too much about your son's usual bedtime - you are all on vacation and you don't want to spend each evening sitting in the dark in your hotel room.

If you have a comfy stroller, then I would just let him sleep in that when he get's tired - do make sure you have a sunshade or parasol, they really need to be well protected from the sun while they sleep.

We found we could do a lot while dd slept - look around the shops, eat, see some shows,
If you are in Epcot, you will find that you can't go into The Land, etc with a stroller which is inconvenient if your son is asleep in it - can't say I agree with this policy for a sleeping baby ,but I can see why they don't want 1000's of strollers in the buildings. You can however get into Innovations east and west - which is nice and cool and makes for an interesting hour while baby sleeps

Bev

Thanks for all the replies! I'm feeling much better about taking him. I think he'll do fine napping in his stroller - at least I hope so! As for evenings, my mother is coming with us and will stay with him at the resort while DH & I go back out. This way he can be sure to get a good, full night's sleep and be well-rested for the next day.

We leave tomorrow, and I can't wait!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter