Gold Mobility Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, one person in our party had an upgraded sunshade and they are still a pain on the bus, not because of the sunshade itself, it is the way it attaches to the ECV. This is in no way Gold Mobility's fault, it is the way all sunshades connect to ECVs from what I have seen. But this was also on the larger ECV model, so that may make a difference for you. The sunshade itself worked well and provided a good level of visibility, something that other sunshades have issues with.

On the recommendations from the kind people on this board, we rented from Golds Mobility and could not have been more pleased. The ECV seemed brand new and kept its charge throughout the day. What a godsend for my husband ( he can walk but not for long distances and certainly not quickly) Thanks so much to this wonderful company!!

We rented the four-wheel, smaller-sized portable ECV from Gold Mobility and could not have been happier with the price, vehicle or service! Nick texted us before our arrival, and was waiting for us at Pop when we arrived on the DME bus. He adjusted the seat and handle, and showed us how to take the ECV apart if we needed to use an Uber. The ECV was almost new and kept its charge for about 9 hours. We were very happy with the smaller, portable vehicle since it's easier to navigate around those sharp turns in lines at the park, and can be easily taken apart to fit in a trunk if you need to use Lyft or Uber. On our last day, Nick texted again to arrange the pick-up at our resort and he was there exactly as planned. This is a great company and we would use them again in a heartbeat!

The mobility company that we have been using for over ten years has failed us on the last two trips to Disney World. Without getting into to much detail, both of the scooters on both occasions were in poor condition and customer service was simply terrible. I'm trying to avoid this at all costs for our trip next week. We will be staying at the Polynesian resort again. After much research we are trying Gold Mobility this trip. They seem to have a good history on the web, and the people on this forum seem to really like them. They are not a Disney list participant so from what I understand is that they will meet us in person which is fine. The previous company we have been using for ten years was a Disney list company so we just picked the scooters up at the bell service desk each time. We reserved the scooter over the phone with Bob at Gold Mobility, Bob claimed all the scooters are brand new. He also guaranteed they will be waiting for us as we arrive on the magical express to deliver the scooter directly. Now here is my concern. The price was $90 less per scooter for our trip ($360 less all together), and the scooters are supposedly brand new with new batteries. I verified they are the same exact victory scooters we rented from the other company and that we are familiar with. They are also giving us the sun shade tops for free along with vast array of other add-ons. Please understand when I ask these questions that I've been a victim of poor service and questionable condition scooters two times by another company that I trusted for over ten years. We reserved 4 scooters. Please only reply if you have first hand experience with Gold Mobility. Thank you in advance.

1. Do they really show up at the exact time and meet you at the Magical Express?

2. If you have a problem do they really come right to you in the park or do they make you push it out to the front?

3. Do the battery's really last all day?

4. Is the only difference between the list company's and gold mobility that they meet you rather than use the bell service desk for delivery and pickup?

5. Because the price is so much lower is there any surprise fee's that they charge you or extra costs?

1. Do they really show up at the exact time and meet you at the Magical Express?
Yes, Nick from Gold texted us before our arrival and was waiting for us at our resort when we arrived on the DME bus; on our departure day, he was at our resort at the exact agreed upon time.

2. If you have a problem do they really come right to you in the park or do they make you push it out to the front?
I don't know because we never have any problems with our ECV.

We rented the Pride Go-go mobility scooter (the smaller ECV) and the battery lasted about 9 hours with normal usage; for days when we would be in the park longer, we could easily find outlets to recharge during lunch or dinner and never ran out of juice.

4. Is the only difference between the list company's and gold mobility that they meet you rather than use the bell service desk for delivery and pickup?
We have only used Gold and not the list company so can't comment on the differences. However, I can HIGHLY recommend Gold; the service, price and ECV were all exceptional!

5. Because the price is so much lower is there any surprise fee's that they charge you or extra costs?
There were no extra costs except the tax.

1. Do they really show up at the exact time and meet you at the Magical Express? I received a text from them the night before my flight. They told me to text them when my flight landed to let them know. Then once again when I'm on the Magical Express and leaving the airport. Nick was waiting for me when I arrived.

2. If you have a problem do they really come right to you in the park or do they make you push it out to the front? I had an issue only because it was raining a lot the week I was there and they think something short circuited. They met me at the entrance to Hollywood Studios and let me have a loaner. I say a loaner because according to the gentleman that brought it to me it wasn't clean enough by their standards, but they didn't want to leave me stranded. So, they left a new one at the resort with a key in the back. All I had to do was leave the old one at the concierge and message them when I did. All their employees have annual passes to all the theme parks, so yes, they will come to you if you get stranded in the parks.

3. Do the battery's really last all day? Mine did. I had the Victory 10. Even with charging my phone all day and using the fan, I never had and issue with the battery dying.

4. Is the only difference between the list company's and gold mobility that they meet you rather than use the bell service desk for delivery and pickup? That and they will adjust the seat for you so that it's most comfortable. They show you how to use it and explain the different features.

5. Because the price is so much lower is there any surprise fee's that they charge you or extra costs? Nope. I gave them my credit card and they swiped it for the agreed amount and there were no other fees. It was actually very easy.

Another thing that I loved about them is that they are sending me a pamphlet for the Flower and Garden Festival. Pretty amazing service.

Thank-you for the responses, I feel more comfortable about my decision to rent from them. They were very nice over the phone also.

Actually, they will be there a little bit before you get off and will be waiting for you. At least that has been my experience.

We had one issue, we texted them, they gave us instructions to fix it and told us if that didn't work they would meet us where we were and we were at the American pavilion in EPCOT.
Yes, just don't overload the scooters as pack mules, remember the more weight you add the harder they have to work. This is true for ALL ECVs though. But really I push the weight limit and the only park where the battery even dropped one of the lights was at Animal Kingdom. Just make sure you charge nightly and you should be fine.
Absolutely not, the differences are that Good Mobility will:
  • Adjust the scooter so that it is comfortable for you
  • Show you how to use all of the features
  • Be avaialble 24/7 (the list providers are usually only available until 8 PM or so)
  • Provide one free optional accessory
  • Also all of their ECVs come with:
    • Fans
    • USB ports you can charge your phone with
    • Cell phone holder
    • Cup holder
    • Undercarriage lights (this is huge when it comes to making you more visible at night, just turn then off when in dark queues and in Pandora at a night so you can see all of the effects)
  • All of their ECVs are replaced every 6 months, so they are in much better condition thank any of the other companies.
Nope, it is the price, plus tax (which they will give you the price with tax if you ask). Even the damage liability waiver is included at no extra cost, which most of the Disney listed providers charge for.

Why they are able to be so much cheaper is they don't pay Disney to be on the official list (and yes, I know people claim that Disney doesn't charge for that, but I seriously doubt Disney doesn't charge them for the use of Bell Services) and the fact that they probably have a location with much cheaper rent than say Buena Vista, since Buena Vista rents space from Disney.

ETA: I did think of another difference: They also provide rain ponchos and tiller covers for the rain.

And one potential "hidden fee" and that is they reserve the right to charge a deductible on the damage waiver. In reality they only seem to charge this if you do something intentional to damage the ECV, i.e. intentionally driving it into the pool is taking a hammer to it. All companies with damage waivers have deductibles though and most charge the deductible for ANY damage, intentional or not (almost was a victim of that one in the past until I pointed out the damage was caused by their battery failing as I was turning a corner). Needless to say never rented from that company again.

Last edited:
Thank-you for the responses, I feel more comfortable about my decision to rent from them. They were very nice over the phone also.

Without repeating everything that has been said above, I agree with the above comments! I have rented twice from GMS and both experiences were top rate as stated. I never had a battery problem and I use the scooters for a minimum of 14 hour+ daily. I charge each night and it's ready to go with full battery power early in the morning. Nick or another GMS rep are always there to deliver before I arrive at the resort and also to pick-up before the agreed upon time. They explain everything in detail, adjust the scooter, and demonstrate all you need to know. I rented previously from other venders and GMS' service surpasses all of them by far!

Without repeating everything that has been said above, I agree with the above comments! I have rented twice from GMS and both experiences were top rate as stated. I never had a battery problem and I use the scooters for a minimum of 14 hour+ daily. I have never needed to top off the battery charge during the day. I charge each night and it's ready to go with full battery power early in the morning. Nick or another GMS rep are always there to deliver before I arrive at the resort and also to pick-up before the agreed upon time. They explain everything in detail, adjust the scooter, and demonstrate all you need to know. I rented previously from other venders and GMS' service surpasses all of them by far!

• Fans
    • Cell phone holder
    • Cup holder
    • Undercarriage lights (this is huge when it comes to making you more visible at night, just turn then off when in dark queues and in Pandora at a night so you can see all of the effects)
  • All of their ECVs are replaced every 6 months, so they are in much better condition thank any of the other companies.

My scooter didn't come with a fan. I think it was because the one I rented, the smallest go-go, doesn't come with that. But I did have a big rear basket, and I LOVED that.
Also, although Nick didn't quite meet me at the DME, he showed up only a few minutes later and was extremely apologetic because he'd had a drop off moments before and traffic. No big deal at all.
And I actually prefer them to meet me to drop off and pick up the scooter. Last time I rented from BV, the scooter key had gotten lost and I had to wait about 20 minutes while they tried to find another key "that worked". And at pick up, I remember hearing a story (on these boards I think) about someone who dropped off the scooter at the end of the vacation, and then the scooter company called with no record of it having been returned.

My scooter didn't come with a fan. I think it was because the one I rented, the smallest go-go, doesn't come with that. But I did have a big rear basket, and I LOVED that.
Also, although Nick didn't quite meet me at the DME, he showed up only a few minutes later and was extremely apologetic because he'd had a drop off moments before and traffic. No big deal at all.
And I actually prefer them to meet me to drop off and pick up the scooter. Last time I rented from BV, the scooter key had gotten lost and I had to wait about 20 minutes while they tried to find another key "that worked". And at pick up, I remember hearing a story (on these boards I think) about someone who dropped off the scooter at the end of the vacation, and then the scooter company called with no record of it having been returned.
Sorry, you are right the smallest one doesn't have a fan, I think they said they tried, but it was causing issues on the buses.

We reserved the Victory sized scooters because of the fan's. We added the sun canopy to all 4. I felt between the fan and the sun canopy it would help keep everyone comfortable. Two members of our group are in their late 70's. The rear basket looks really handy, but they said the canopy uses the same port as the basket. We can only pick one. Since there is a basket in the front, we felt our best bet was the sun canopy. Anyone with experience in using the sun canopy?

We reserved the Victory sized scooters because of the fan's. We added the sun canopy to all 4. I felt between the fan and the sun canopy it would help keep everyone comfortable. Two members of our group are in their late 70's. The rear basket looks really handy, but they said the canopy uses the same port as the basket. We can only pick one. Since there is a basket in the front, we felt our best bet was the sun canopy. Anyone with experience in using the sun canopy?
On our recent trip, we had three ECVs (btw, don't do that if avoidable, I can't imagine taking four, just remember if taking the buses and a CM with a clipboard is there, let them know you have four so they can call extra buses), one person reserved the canopy on the Victory model scooter. They ended up taking it off because she had too hard of a time getting on and off the buses, plus it made it hard on the elevators at AKL - Kidani (Jambo was fine as the elevators are larger). But this person also had difficulty just driving the scooter around the parks, so I will say your mileage will vary depending on the skill of the driver. Also, the front spot is usually the easier one to get into on the bus, so let the less skilled drivers get on first. By the way the same holds true for any of the optional accessories, we originally had a walker holder on one, but took it off because it was harder to navigate and unfortunately due to the type of Walker the person had, it wouldn't work, so no point in keeping it and luckily we caught Nick when he was at AKL that night and was able to give it back to him so we didn't have to hold on to it.

The nice thing is their canopies are designed differently from other companies a d they don't obstruct your view on the sides as a result.

Actually, they will be there a little bit before you get off and will be waiting for you. At least that has been my experience.

We had one issue, we texted them, they gave us instructions to fix it and told us if that didn't work they would meet us where we were and we were at the American pavilion in EPCOT.

Yes, just don't overload the scooters as pack mules, remember the more weight you add the harder they have to work. This is true for ALL ECVs though. But really I push the weight limit and the only park where the battery even dropped one of the lights was at Animal Kingdom. Just make sure you charge nightly and you should be fine.

Absolutely not, the differences are that Good Mobility will:
  • Adjust the scooter so that it is comfortable for you
  • Show you how to use all of the features
  • Be avaialble 24/7 (the list providers are usually only available until 8 PM or so)
  • Provide one free optional accessory
    • Fans
    • Cell phone holder
    • Cup holder

Nope, it is the price, plus tax (which they will give you the price with tax if you ask). Even the damage liability waiver is included at no extra cost, which most of the Disney listed providers charge for.

Why they are able to be so much cheaper is they don't pay Disney to be on the official list (and yes, I know people claim that Disney doesn't charge for that, but I seriously doubt Disney doesn't charge them for the use of Bell Services) and the fact that they probably have a location with much cheaper rent than say Buena Vista, since Buena Vista rents space from Disney.

ETA: I did think of another difference: They also provide rain ponchos and tiller covers for the rain.

And one potential "hidden fee" and that is they reserve the right to charge a deductible on the damage waiver. In reality they only seem to charge this if you do something intentional to damage the ECV, i.e. intentionally driving it into the pool is taking a hammer to it. All companies with damage waivers have deductibles though and most charge the deductible for ANY damage, intentional or not (almost was a victim of that one in the past until I pointed out the damage was caused by their battery failing as I was turning a corner). Needless to say never rented from that company again.
Thank you for pointing out the Poncho's I missed that. Every year it seems we get stuck in a rain storm, and forced to purchase those terribly expensive Mickey poncho's for $10. It sounds like from the website description that they include 4 of them. With 4 scooters we should get 16 of them. Thats more than we need for our entire party. Another $150 savings. Over already saving $360 on the rentals in the first place. Thats huge difference.

Thank you for pointing out the Poncho's I missed that. Every year it seems we get stuck in a rain storm, and forced to purchase those terribly expensive Mickey poncho's for $10. It sounds like from the website description that they include 4 of them. With 4 scooters we should get 16 of them. Thats more than we need for our entire party. Another $150 savings. Over already saving $360 on the rentals in the first place. Thats huge difference.
Yes, just be aware they are very light ponchos, so you may go through a couple of them per person, but they do work well. Also, if you weren't renting from them, I would strongly advise brining ponchos with you, Amazon has some great compact ones that work out to about $2 a piece, so you don't care if you leave them behind and they take up almost no room going.

On our recent trip, we had three ECVs (btw, don't do that if avoidable, I can't imagine taking four, just remember if taking the buses and a CM with a clipboard is there, let them know you have four so they can call extra buses), one person reserved the canopy on the Victory model scooter. They ended up taking it off because she had too hard of a time getting on and off the buses, plus it made it hard on the elevators at AKL - Kidani (Jambo was fine as the elevators are larger). But this person also had difficulty just driving the scooter around the parks, so I will say your mileage will vary depending on the skill of the driver. Also, the front spot is usually the easier one to get into on the bus, so let the less skilled drivers get on first. By the way the same holds true for any of the optional accessories, we originally had a walker holder on one, but took it off because it was harder to navigate and unfortunately due to the type of Walker the person had, it wouldn't work, so no point in keeping it and luckily we caught Nick when he was at AKL that night and was able to give it back to him so we didn't have to hold on to it.

The nice thing is their canopies are designed differently from other companies a d they don't obstruct your view on the sides as a result.

3 people in our party need to avoid direct sunlight. We felt the best bet for them was the sun canopy + large brim hats + long sleeves + longs pants + sunblock. I called them just now, and they explained if for any reason the sun canopies are in the way they would send someone out to collect them no problem. They said about 70% of the customers love them and 30% don't. They also said the members in our group closer to 400LB range the battery will not last quite as long as the two in the 100-150 LB range. Makes perfect sense actually.

3 people in our party need to avoid direct sunlight. We felt the best bet for them was the sun canopy + large brim hats + long sleeves + longs pants + sunblock. I called them just now, and they explained if for any reason the sun canopies are in the way they would send someone out to collect them no problem. They said about 70% of the customers love them and 30% don't. They also said the members in our group closer to 400LB range the battery will not last quite as long as the two in the 100-150 LB range. Makes perfect sense actually.
Honestly, I am closer to that myself and while they would be technically correct, the reality is the battery never dropped more than two lights and that was at Animal Kingdom, which is the hardest park on mobility devices and I was the one that always went to get return times on the DAS, so a lot of extra back and forth and still had no issues.

Really, the battery should still last all day for the ones pushing 400 lbs.

My mom really wanted to do one of the “Disney” scooter places but since I am planning the trip, I ignored her and went with Gold. Saved a few hundred dollars and she is super excited about the fan. Hopefully our experience is as good as all yours (not going until September but I wanted to lock it in with craziness of Star Wars coming).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!