Good cooler for taking food into parks?

asafko

Mouseketeer
We leave in a few weeks for our trip. I wanted to take some snacks/water bottles into the parks. I believe we can bring soft coolers into the parks, correct? Any recommendations on ones that keep things cool in the summer heat?

I have used a number of different ones with varying degrees of success. The one I like the most is the 'Ice Mule'.....

https://www.amazon.com/IceMule-Clas...ocphy=9033288&hvtargid=pla-362828147447&psc=1

It resembles a 'dry bag' and keeps ice and things cold in it all day. Due to its design it has a sling type strap so is easy to carry, and if you use everything in it during the day it will simply fold and roll up and take up minimal space. Not cheap, but it is very functional and works... and is much cheaper than the yeti's, RTiC style soft coolers.

We have an insulated bag we got from Amazon. Nothing fancy, it works fabulous. Add some ice packs, and it'll be good for hours even in the mid afternoon summer heat.

I love my Igloo backpack cooler. I originally bought it specifically for Disney. There are other brands that make them, such as Coleman.

We leave in a few weeks for our trip. I wanted to take some snacks/water bottles into the parks. I believe we can bring soft coolers into the parks, correct? Any recommendations on ones that keep things cool in the summer heat?
I don’t have a recommendation for a cooler (I love my ebag Crew Cooler II but did not take it to the parks) but I do have a suggestion for water. I bought each of my kids and myself an 18oz Standard Mouth Hydro Flask. They’re compact enough to stick in a small chest pack, don’t leak, keep water cold and are easily refillable. We’d fill them with a water from the fridge in our room before heading out and then refill with the free ice water from counter service as the day went on. Turned out to be one of the best vacation accessories I’ve ever bought. No more sweating water bottles that get warm inside of an hour or DH hauling a backpack with water bottles. For snacks we just had snack bars and PB&Js.

*edited to correct name of bottle

Last edited:
I don’t have a recommendation for a cooler (I love my ebag Crew Cooler II but did not take it to the parks) but I do have a suggestion for water. I bought each of my kids and myself an 18oz Narrow Mouth Hydro Flask. They’re compact enough to stick in a small chest pack, don’t leak, keep water cold and are easily refillable. We’d fill them with a water from the fridge in our room before heading out and then refill with the free ice water from counter service as the day went on. Turned out to be one of the best vacation accessories I’ve ever bought. No more sweating water bottles that get warm inside of an hour or DH hauling a backpack with water bottles. For snacks we just had snack bars and PB&Js.

I am looking for something like this for when we travel.. Thanks

I am looking for something like this for when we travel.. Thanks
I wish I had thought of it years ago. It was really a game changer and DH was so happy not to have to be “the pack mule.” :rotfl: If you decide to go with Hydro Flask, make sure to go directly to their site or a certified seller like REI, Tilly’s, Dick’s Sporting Goods etc. There are a rash of fake sites all over social media. I had to order the 18oz Standard Mouth online as the stores tend to carry the larger bottles. I went through REI and they were here in a couple of days with free shipping over $50.

Last edited:

I wish I had thought of it years ago. It was really a game changer and DH was so happy not to have to be “the pack mule.” :rotfl: If you decide to go with Hydro Flask, make sure to go directly to their site or a certified seller like REI, Tilly’s, Dick’s Sporting Goods etc. There are a rash of fake sites all over social media. I had to order the 18oz Standard Mouth online as the stores tend to carry the larger bottles. I went through REI and they were here in a couple of days with free shipping over $50.

I am thinking about getting one for all of us for Christmas gifts. I love that they offer a kids one. We live in Winter Garden, right out the back gate/ off the 429, and are AP holders so we head into the parks alot, plus its so dang hot and humid pretty much year around. I want something that does not leak or sweat for traveling, lightweight, and easy to use.

I don’t have a recommendation for a cooler (I love my ebag Crew Cooler II but did not take it to the parks) but I do have a suggestion for water. I bought each of my kids and myself an 18oz Standard Mouth Hydro Flask. They’re compact enough to stick in a small chest pack, don’t leak, keep water cold and are easily refillable. We’d fill them with a water from the fridge in our room before heading out and then refill with the free ice water from counter service as the day went on. Turned out to be one of the best vacation accessories I’ve ever bought. No more sweating water bottles that get warm inside of an hour or DH hauling a backpack with water bottles. For snacks we just had snack bars and PB&Js.

*edited to correct name of bottle

I have the eBags Crew Cooler Jr and my DH has the Crew Cooler 2 and we use them for lunch bags. We both work 12-hour shifts (paramedic and LEO) so we need them to last all day. DH's larger bag doubles as his "man purse" because he uses it to hold his planner, phone charger, and stuff like that. I have a separate purse I just carry the smaller lunch bag. They work well at keeping our food refrigerated and cool for at least 6-7 hours. They don't keep things frozen (I learned that Lean Cuisine and Hot Pockets won't work), but things like cheese, eggs, and tuna salad stay chilled just fine.

I also bought the HydroFlasks for myself and my kids. I opted for the 20oz wide-mouth bottles and then I also bought the straw lids to go with them. They came with flip lids, which are fine, but the straw lids have a "loop" that allows me to attach a carabiner. Love them! They keep my drinks cold for so long and they don't sweat at all. I don't know how I did Disney without them.

Dh & I both hate packing water around in the parks. We just stop at a CS when we need water and get cups of (filtered) ice water free - no packing bottles. We 'don't' drink from the water fountains.

I have the eBags Crew Cooler Jr and my DH has the Crew Cooler 2 and we use them for lunch bags. We both work 12-hour shifts (paramedic and LEO) so we need them to last all day. DH's larger bag doubles as his "man purse" because he uses it to hold his planner, phone charger, and stuff like that. I have a separate purse I just carry the smaller lunch bag. They work well at keeping our food refrigerated and cool for at least 6-7 hours. They don't keep things frozen (I learned that Lean Cuisine and Hot Pockets won't work), but things like cheese, eggs, and tuna salad stay chilled just fine.

I also bought the HydroFlasks for myself and my kids. I opted for the 20oz wide-mouth bottles and then I also bought the straw lids to go with them. They came with flip lids, which are fine, but the straw lids have a "loop" that allows me to attach a carabiner. Love them! They keep my drinks cold for so long and they don't sweat at all. I don't know how I did Disney without them.
I use the II mostly for road travel, it’s great to stock up with drinks and snacks. Love all the pockets for wipes, utensils etc. I’ve been thinking about getting the Jr for myself but I keep reading it’s a bit small.

I opted for the standard because the footprint worked better for the small sling bags we carry and left enough room for a snack, autograph book, wallet and sunglasses. I will never do a vacation without them again!

Dh & I both hate packing water around in the parks. We just stop at a CS when we need water and get cups of (filtered) ice water free - no packing bottles. We 'don't' drink from the water fountains.
I found that *for us* when we did it that way we ended up pounding the water vs sipping throughout the day so it did not keep us properly hydrated. Being able to refill them at our leisure was a game changer. Everyone’s style is different. For us this has been the perfect solution.

I've been looking for a back pack cooler. I think there are limits on the cooler size but not back packs. They Hydo bottle is a good idea too. DH bought me a different brand on Amazon that works just as well for a lot less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter