Good family campgrounds along I-95 on way to Washington DC area?

nessz79

DIS Veteran
We are going to take a trip to the Washington DC area next summer of 09. We are going to take it very slowly on the way up as we have two young children and a very old RV. We're thinking 4 days so we'll be relaxed and not have to drive more than 5-6 hours a day (from SW Florida).

We need some recommendations for campgrounds that are close to I-95 as well as a campground in Orlando for only one night. We're thinking not the Fort (gasp!) due to the price at that point in the year.

So does anyone have recommendations for the following general areas (doesn't have to be exact):

*Orlando
*Georgia (about 5 hours from Orlando going about 60 mph...wherever that gets us)
*South Carolina/North Carolina border area
* South Virginia

Any takers on this? Thanks in advance! Price just needs to be under $50/night. Preferrably more in the $25-40 range.

We are going to take a trip to the Washington DC area next summer of 09. We are going to take it very slowly on the way up as we have two young children and a very old RV. We're thinking 4 days so we'll be relaxed and not have to drive more than 5-6 hours a day (from SW Florida).

We need some recommendations for campgrounds that are close to I-95 as well as a campground in Orlando for only one night. We're thinking not the Fort (gasp!) due to the price at that point in the year.

So does anyone have recommendations for the following general areas (doesn't have to be exact):

*Orlando
Jacksonville KOA $38/nite this mo. w/taxes

*Georgia (about 5 hours from Orlando going about 60 mph...wherever that gets us)
Point South KOA around $44/nite this mo with taxs

*South Carolina/North Carolina border area
Smithfield KOA aroung $39/nite this mo w/taxes

* South Virginia
Fredrickburg KOA around $50/nite this mo w/taxes

Any takers on this? Thanks in advance! Price just needs to be under $50/night. Preferrably more in the $25-40 range.

For $20 you can get the KOA value card that will knock 10% off both going and coming back and will pay for itself since those $$$ do not include the 10% off price.

We've stayed at all of these except the Fredrickburg KOA and have stayed at the Florence KOA and Savannah KOA along with the St. Augustine KOA at various times. You need to go to the KOA website and do a trip planning and that will give you the KOAs along your route and then use Rand Mcnally or Mapquest to see if the distances work for you.

We tend to stick to KOAs when just overnighting since while not FW are fairly predictable and consistent CG to CG.

Larry

Thank you! I think we've stayed at the Jacksonville KOA (the one that is technically in Georgia, but only by 1 mile) and we did like that one!

Thank you! I think we've stayed at the Jacksonville KOA (the one that is technically in Georgia, but only by 1 mile) and we did like that one!

Hmm the one in Kingsland, Ga that I posted the price for was not the one we stayed at which IIRC was definitely in Fl and not Ga, but it's probably been almost 10 years the last time we stayed at the Jax KOA and again IIRC it had a small lake with a pier and a bar or whatnot going out into the small lake.

I guess the Jax KOA I'm thinking about no longer exists or I have that KOA confused with the many, many we have stayed at over the years all across the U.S.

Larry

We stayed here on our way home from Disney last year : http://www.campingbear.com/

Its a Jellystone Park in Emporia, VA. It is Exit 17 in Southern Virginia

It is easy access from I95. It was nice and clean and the site was level. We only showered and slept for the night and got back on the road the next morning.

It had a huge basket and a huge Yogi when you come in.

Hope this helps! :)

A few years back we spent the summer traveling in our RV. We stayed at the Fredricksberg KOA ( I think). We decided not to drive into DC, instead we took a tour of the DC area. We toured the senate, (Just missed the Pres adressing the senate) toured the national cemetery, stopped at lincoln memorial, we were not able to go into the Washington memorial as there was being work done it. Ok, so tour the first day but the next two days we took the comuter train into the DC area. The Second to last stop lets you off right at the smithsonian. (We also ate lunch there) Oh, best part of taking the commuter train is you get on at is the first stop going into Federal area. The portion of DC that is covered by the Parks department is very clean and well kept. Be sure to do a tour of the battlefields at Fredricksberg. We learned so much, I was so amazed with all the history that is in this city.

On the way up I-95, from disney, we stayed at St. Augustine. We took a tour of this city also Fountian of Youth is located here. Daughter took back some bottled water from the fountian -- yes spendy but the classmates in her 4th grade class were thrilled. We stayed a private RV park there.

I hope I have helped a bit. I can say this trip was one of the best we ever made. We traveled from Washington State to florida via the southren route then took the northren route back to the Northwest.

Have fun and take time to smell the flowers.

Patty

We stayed at the Fredericksburg KOA on our way down to the Fort this summer, place was nice and clean, some very nice pull through sites with full hook-ups that were available for a last minute call. I did not get out to explore as much as I wanted, being only one over night spent most of the time setting up, then kicking back after a long day on the road. They had a well stocked camp store with a welcoming, wide covered porch with rocking chairs and checker board games. Free wifi was great, pretty decent reception even as far away from the main building as we were. Wish I had some photos, sounds like I'll need to go back and try it again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter