Good lightweight stroller to purchase for child over 40 lbs?

opus_00

Mouseketeer
We are going to WDW next month with our two teenagers and our 5 year-old. We no longer own a stroller, but will either rent one when we arrive or purchase an inexpensive one ahead of time, as we tend to move quickly and do a lot in a day at the parks, and I know our youngest will not be able to keep up in the August heat. It will also be a bonus to be able to use the stroller as storage for our stuff when he is not riding in it. I expect that he will walk most of the time, and ride in the stroller when he gets tired.

He is a little over the 40-lb weight limit of most inexpensive umbrella strollers, so it might be cheaper for us to just rent unless we can find a good sale. Any recommendations for an inexpensive stroller with a weight limit higher than 40 lbs? Are all of the Disney strollers still a molded plastic with a slight recline to them? Although he does not typically nap, he very well may at Disney, so a sunshade is a must, and I want something that either reclines or is fixed with a slight recline to it.

I plan to shop resale stores also, but most of the strollers I have seen already were either large stroller/carrier systems, or high-end strollers that are expensive even used.

Have you checked local buy/sell groups in your neighborhood through Facebook? Mine constantly has people selling city minis and Britax b-agiles and the like for usually around $40. Those will have all the features you are looking for and the low price tag.

We have a summer infant 3dlite that is rated to 50lbs...its light but the sunshade isn't very good..we are replacing it with a Zoe stoller but that's because my daughter is only 18 months so we will be using it alot...the summer stroller got us through 2 wdw trips so far and as a disposable stroller I don't mind recommending it, you should be able to get it for about $90 there is also a $50 version available with a weight limit of 45 lbs.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but renting strollers is an absolute waste of money unless you're doing it for just a day or two at most. Buy one. You may not want the el-cheapo $15 WalMart special, but any $40 stroller will work more than fine. Those weight limits are just there for legal protection. We used strollers for our kids until they were much older than your 5 year old. They were probably 80lbs easily by then. We had a cheap Wal-Mart stroller and it held up just fine, and that was with repeated hard use. Buy one for $40 at Wal-Mart/Target, use it, then sell it on Craigslist for $30...or if you don't want to bother find someone at WDW about to rent a stroller and gift it to them.

Have you checked local buy/sell groups in your neighborhood through Facebook? Mine constantly has people selling city minis and Britax b-agiles and the like for usually around $40. Those will have all the features you are looking for and the low price tag.

You know what's funny? I just sold my Britax B-agile last year! I didn't think about online neighborhood groups. That will be my next place to look.

I was going to recommend summer infant 3d lite as well but to go to amazon. Buy a used one from amazon for $50 where the list price is $99. Not sure if that's the one that LYSE recommended.

Joovy Groove Ultralight! We used it with our 5-year-old and it was great quality, sturdy and folded up nicely. Now, the price (new) is over $100. But you can buy one for your trip and the sell it for at least $50 or $75. Your loss will still be cheaper than if you had rented a stroller.

I was going to recommend summer infant 3d lite as well but to go to amazon. Buy a used one from amazon for $50 where the list price is $99. Not sure if that's the one that LYSE recommended.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! And THANK YOU, brent02139, for reminding me about buying used on Amazon! I always forget about that option. There are several open box strollers I'm interested in on there now with free prime shipping.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! And THANK YOU, brent02139, for reminding me about buying used on Amazon! I always forget about that option. There are several open box strollers I'm interested in on there now with free prime shipping.

With Prime day coming, amazon usually does an extra percent off open box stuff. I think last year it started the night before, so be ready if what you want has limited of open box items.

I would just rent from an outside company. We have used A Baby’s Best Friend in the past and have been happy with them. The stroller we rented had a 50 pound limit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts