Good Luck Charlie to feature episode with 2 moms. What are your thoughts?

DisneyDreamer3090

Earning My Ears
In an upcoming episode of the Disney Channel Original show, character Charlie will have a play date with a friend who has two moms. Below is an article by Michael Schneider

"In a first for the Disney Channel, next season an episode of Good Luck Charlie will feature a family with two moms.

Producers are currently casting the couple, with production set for next week. The episode will air in early 2014 as part of Good Luck Charlie's final season. Because Good Luck Charlie is coming to a close, the characters are only expected to appear in this one episode.

In the storyline, parents Amy and Bob Duncan (Leigh-Allyn Baker and Eric Allan Kramer) set up a playdate for preschooler Charlie (Mia Talerico) and one of her new friends. When the kid arrives, the Duncans learn that Charlie's pal has two moms. That's fine, but the potential new friendship is put to the test as one mom chats with Amy, and the other is stuck listening to Bob's dull stories.

The playdate is actually the secondary story in the episode, as much of the action will center on Teddy (Bridgit Mendler) and her best friend Ivy, as Ivy prepares to head off to college.

But Disney Channel understands the groundbreaking nature of featuring a same-sex couple on one of its sitcoms and took extra care in crafting the episode. "This particular storyline was developed under the consultancy of child development experts and community advisors," a Disney Channel spokesperson says. "Like all Disney Channel programming, it was developed to be relevant to kids and families around the world and to reflect themes of diversity and inclusiveness."

I would love to know what your opinions are on having this episode shown on Disney Channel. I personally think it's great as it opens up discussion in the home and shows how children with 2 moms or 2 dads are normal families too. This could make children more aware and more accepting as they could have classmates who have this type of family. I however am not a parent, so would love to hear from some parents too!

Not sure where this from...good luck Charlie is ending in 2 more episodes

This is actually a pretty old article. Here is an excerpt from one that was published on Jan 7th 2014.
"Disney Channel is getting ready to break history, when it introduces the first ever gay family on the network. One of the final few episodes of the hit series Good Luck Charlie will feature the Duncan parents interacting with a lesbian couple, while Charlie goes on a playdate with their child. That begs the question--is the world ready for an openly gay character on a Disney show"

Also there are actually 4 more episodes left

What did everybody think of the episode? I thought that it was REALLY well done.

I honestly thought it would be at least another 20 years before Disney even considered touching this topic. I see this as a step in the right direction. I hope Disney doesn't get too much backlash for this. I'm sure they'll get a little. I'd be shocked if they don't get some kind of negative response.

Has anybody seen any blogs or articles on this episode yet? I haven't had a chance to try to search for any myself.

sailorstitch

I didn't really faze me. We have a family with two moms across the street.

What I was didn't like was that it look like it ended in incompatibility with each other. I felt like when they left that they'd probably not do a playdate again there. That's so not how it should have felt.

I didn't get that feeling. I thought the point of it was that NOBODY likes Bob's bug stories. :rotfl2:

sailorstitch

I'm torn on the episode, I thought it was well done and not pushy or preachy but I'm getting kind of burnt out on all the fuss over gay marriage / gay couples. Something like 4% of the population is gay but you'd think it was half the population by how many headlines it receives in the media. I don't care who anyone marries but just in the last few weeks the Rose bowl parade, the Grammy's, and now Disney have made headlines for putting gay marriage/couples front and center and it just seems like overkill. I know it's a huge fight right now but honestly I'm hopeful as gay marriage becomes common in more and more states it becomes a non issue.

I'm torn on the episode, I thought it was well done and not pushy or preachy but I'm getting kind of burnt out on all the fuss over gay marriage / gay couples. Something like 4% of the population is gay but you'd think it was half the population by how many headlines it receives in the media. I don't care who anyone marries but just in the last few weeks the Rose bowl parade, the Grammy's, and now Disney have made headlines for putting gay marriage/couples front and center and it just seems like overkill. I know it's a huge fight right now but honestly I'm hopeful as gay marriage becomes common in more and more states it becomes a non issue.

These are exactly my thoughts. It's too much, and frankly, I don't want to have that discussion with my kids while they are watching the Disney channel. I'd rather discuss it with them when the time is right, and I feel they are ready to discuss all things involving relationships and commitment; not just when a TV show decides that time is now.

Kind of frustrating, and difficult to not sound anti anything when attempting to discuss it.

As far as the show goes. Love it. Perhaps one of my favorite all time Disney channel sitcoms. I'm really, really sorry to see it go.

We watched the show as a family and thiught it was another good episode. Nothing preachy. Just matter of fact. More than half Of American families are not a mom, dad and their biological children. Kids will make friends with other kids who have step parents, step siblings, gay parents, adopted friends, being raised by grandparents, etc. The sooner they recognize all the types of families there are, the more acceptance there will be in the world.

I just saw the episode and thought it was done really well. It's good to see more of these more modern families shown on Disney - blended families (dog with a blog), single parent families (shake it up), families with adopted children (Jessie) and now an episode that has same sex parents. Hope this continues so a child from any type of family can tune into Disney and feel they are represented in some way, rather than just those the more traditional family structure.

I really think Disney deserves a lot of credit for this. While a small percentage of the population may be gay it remains clear that homosexual couples are far from universally accepted, even in a country that stands as a beacon for freedoms and liberties, the United States. I feel that this was a great step not only for the gay community but for Disney as well. Well done Disney!

These are exactly my thoughts. It's too much, and frankly, I don't want to have that discussion with my kids while they are watching the Disney channel. I'd rather discuss it with them when the time is right, and I feel they are ready to discuss all things involving relationships and commitment; not just when a TV show decides that time is now.

Kind of frustrating, and difficult to not sound anti anything when attempting to discuss it.

As far as the show goes. Love it. Perhaps one of my favorite all time Disney channel sitcoms. I'm really, really sorry to see it go.

The thing is, it's very important for Disney Channel to feature gay couples on their shows/movies, because there are kids out there with two moms or two dads, and they want to see families that reflects their own. So I don't see why you have to wait for the "right time" to discuss this with your kids. Gay couples are really no different than straight couples.

The thing is, it's very important for Disney Channel to feature gay couples on their shows/movies, because there are kids out there with two moms or two dads, and they want to see families that reflects their own. So I don't see why you have to wait for the "right time" to discuss this with your kids. Gay couples are really no different than straight couples.

Not even going to go into the reason here as it is something that will be shunned against being discussed on these boards. If you feel the need to make a statement like that, with a whopping 8 post count, I'm guessing your trolling for trouble.

Not even going to go into the reason here as it is something that will be shunned against being discussed on these boards. If you feel the need to make a statement like that, with a whopping 8 post count, I'm guessing your trolling for trouble.
No, I'm just a newbie. And if you feel that your reason will be shunned, then there's probably something wrong with it.

No, I'm just a newbie. And if you feel that your reason will be shunned, then there's probably something wrong with it.

My reason won't be shunned. It is just those types of discussions, no matter your feelings or views, are not allowed on these boards. Same goes for politics, religion etc.

Understandably so.

Besides, your response already tells me your more than a "newbie". I'm out on this thread before it goes where it shouldn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter