GOOF TROOP! WDW Marathon Weekend 2020 ... finshed 3/8. Comments welcome!

Congrats on your legendary achievement. That's a pretty insane thing to do, and I'm impressed that you were able to pull it off. I hope Rise of the Resistance was worth the extra mileage!

Thanks! It was totally worth it. I like having a good story to tell.

Goof Troooooop!
Every time I read this, I can hear your rally cry and can see the puzzled looks on the faces of other Epcot guests when a large group of people hear the signal and suddenly follow the tall guy to the next stop!
I think our Goof Troop philosophy was "One for All and All for Goof," as well as "No Goof Left Behind." I'm not the ring leader of this traveling circus, but I'm pretty sure the Goof Troop Roving Road Party (TM) takes everyone. Funnily enough, @FFigawi and I were "inducting" people into the Goof Troop through out the race just by virtue of running with us.
Spoiler Alert: Don’t forget about the guy with the hair and his wife who were temporarily inducted into the Goof Troop in the middle of DATW. Did anyone get photos of them?
Shortly after the shots, we veered off course. We didn't know if this was going to work, but dang it, we were committed to trying. Surprisingly, there was no one else on the path to DHS. I really thought someone else would be attempting this. So, either John and I are crazy or geniuses. I'll let the readers decide.

We got to DHS around 6:45 a.m. and into the park itself around 6:55 a.m. Just minutes to spare. We were definitely the only runners inside the park and we got a few looks, as well as a few questions. Most of them went like this:

Them: "Whoa, did you guys just finish the race?"

Us: "No! We're in the middle of it and we have to get back and finish!"

Them: *perplexed look*

As 7 a.m. approached, we shut off our WiFi, pulled up the MDE app and started refreshing like crazy. At 7:01, I got the notification and we had a boarding group. Number 32 I believe. With our mission halfway accomplished (we still had to finish!), Rogue Two posed for a quick photo to commemorate the occasion.
Epic!

Every time I read this, I can hear your rally cry and can see the puzzled looks on the faces of other Epcot guests when a large group of people hear the signal and suddenly follow the tall guy to the next stop!

Ha ha. And @Keels asking "Why are you so loud?"

Spoiler Alert: Don’t forget about the guy with the hair and his wife who were temporarily inducted into the Goof Troop in the middle of DATW. Did anyone get photos of them?

I've posted all of my photos, but hopefully others share some with you and the Mrs. in them!

I am late but here. Karen is definitely the best. Rogue Two made us all jealous.

You were there in spirit, pal. That run was for all the runDisney all-stars.

Glad I'm the memorable part of the first half of the race. Your outfits made it easy to find you both!

So happy your mission was a success and the timing worked out so well. Pretty sure you were finished by the time the balloon ladies even passed my secret station.

Between Rogue Two's successful mission and the super secret jello shot station, the 10K was pretty good this year.

It was a tremendous race. I'm beginning to see why it's so many people's favorite course, ha ha.

I told so many people what you guys did to get that boarding pass! LEGENDARY!!!

Spread the word! I want that stretch from Boardwalk to DHS named after @FFigawi and I.

Glad I'm the memorable part of the first half of the race. Your outfits made it easy to find you both!

So happy your mission was a success and the timing worked out so well. Pretty sure you were finished by the time the balloon ladies even passed my secret station.

That was the fuel we needed to do something totally ill-advised and reckless!

That was me. I'm pretty proud of that one!

Great pics of you two!

All credit goes to you for the nickname! It totally stuck. Well done!

I believe @sourire and I were inducted as honorary members heading into TTC!

Ha ha. Sounds right!

Why does it have to be one or the other? Who says they are mutually exclusive?

Good point. Totally crazy geniuses.

You guys are awesome! Love that story - you will both remember that forever.

I suspect we will.

Impressive... Most impressive. :darth:

The Force was strong with us.

Day Two, Part Two - Alphabet Soup: DHS, RnRC, RotR, HH, Etc.

So, after getting cleaned up, I headed over to Hollywood Studios. I believe before I left I got a notification that @FFigawi and I had to be at our Rise of the Resistance boarding group between 9:40 - 11:40 a.m. John and I made plans to meet sometime after 11 at Galaxy's Edge - just enough to get him out of the dog house with Mrs. FFigawi, ha ha.

I think I got to DHS around 9:30 and got in line for Rockin' Roller Coaster, which I've never done before. It probably took me about 50 minutes to get through the line, but I didn't really have anywhere to go.

So, I'm not a big roller coaster guy and didn't know what to expect from RnRC, but when I got into the launch area, I knew I was in a little bit of trouble, ha ha. But, I went on the ride and it was pretty fun. You can tell from the photo pass pic that it was a little intense for me though...

e9de666a-3f55-4e5c-bedd-d9dcad60050a by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

RnRC left me feeling a little woozy, so despite it being one of my favorite rides, I didn't feel like getting in line for Tower of Terror. Fortunately, it was almost time to meet John at Galaxy's Edge for Rise of the Resistance.

John and I met up around 11:20 and headed over to RotR. I'm not going to say too much about the ride experience except that it was freaking incredible. It's a real achievement for Disney and a really tremendous attraction. I had several jaw-dropping moments.

DSC_4455 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4457 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

Seriously, this was an incredible attraction. But, I'll forever maintain that the effort to get our Boarding Group was an even better experience.

After RotR, John and I parted ways for the time and I went to see Muppet Vision 3D, which I missed last trip. I freaking love the Muppets.

After Muppet Vision, I went over to Toy Story Land for lunch since I wanted to check out Woody's Lunch Box for lunch. I ordered the totchos (which I often make at home) and they were tremendous. Seriously very, very good. I'll order them again.

After lunch I went on Toy Story Midway Mania. The wait was super long and I was stuck between a mom with two rowdy kids and a family that was way too chatty with me, but it was fine. I love TSMM.

After TSMM, I headed over to Hurricane Hanna's for the Disboards meetup. I talked with a bunch of folks (I can't possibly tag you all) and, just like last year, it was a ton of fun. I really enjoy this part of Marathon Weekend. It's awesome getting to chat with some of my fellow runDisney all-stars a bit.

I didn't take any pics of the meetup, but I took a pic of the Boardwalk area after I left, so you can look at that instead.

DSC_4475 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

I'm blanking at the moment as to whether I did anything between the meetup and my dinner reservation at 50s Prime Time Cafe, so let's just assume I didn't. Anyway, 50s Prime was one of only two ADRs I made for the trip and I was *really* looking forward to it. I ate there for the first time last year during marathon weekend, ordered the sampler and fell in love with the food.

Because I was by myself, I got seated in the back. I ended up in a table next to another runner who was by herself. We kind of struck up a conversation about Disney races (it was her first rD race) and I should've just invited her to eat with me, but I didn't. I'm socially awkward, y'all.

Anyway, I ordered the sampler (pot roast, meatloaf and fried chicken) without even looking at the menu and it was so darn good. The portion sizes were definitely smaller this year compared to last year, but the taste was on point. I ate everything on my plate and got a "clean plate club" sticker from my server.

I didn't take any photos from dinner, but here's one of Gertie that I took after I left:

DSC_4489 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

My next commitment for the evening was an ADR at Oga's Cantina at 7:20, which was still probably 90 minutes away, so I headed over to Galaxy's Edge to get some photos and see if I could get onto Smuggler's Run. Fortunately, Smuggler's Run has a single rider line and I was able to walk right onto the ride twice, though I got stuck being engineer both times. Still, it was a super cool ride.

I also took a bunch of photos from the land, which is tremendously themed. I really love the aesthetic.

DSC_4506 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4528 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4538 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4548 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4553 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

Finally, it was time to check out Oga's Cantina. It was pretty small, but I liked the atmosphere. That said, the whole experience sucks. Want to see want $17 worth of alcohol looks like?

DSC_4582 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

Where I come from, that's called a shot and it's three bucks. So, feeling a little disillusioned, not to mention fairly tired, I bailed from DHS and went back to me hotel to grab some zzz's before the half marathon.

Next up ... Goof Troop!

Day Two, Part Two - Alphabet Soup: DHS, RnRC, RotR, HH, Etc.

My next commitment for the evening was an ADR at Oga's Cantina at 7:20, which was still probably 90 minutes away, so I headed over to Galaxy's Edge to get some photos and see if I could get onto Smuggler's Run.

Finally, it was time to check out Oga's Cantina. It was pretty small, but I liked the atmosphere. That said, the whole experience sucks.

We had the same ADR time at Oga's as you did! We were over by the DJ Droid.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it- I thought the prices for the mixed drinks were Disney-priced, but not too much more than most of the fancy bars at home. I don't know what was in the Fuzzy Tauntaun, but the way it made your lips and mouth tingle was crazy!

49392146931_be228fe309_c.jpg
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
RnRC is too intense for me too.
Want to see want $17 worth of alcohol looks like?
My $17 margarita at Oga’s was equally miniature (personally, I like my margaritas in a glass the size of a cereal bowl 😉). But, man...it was good!

I have told a few people at work about the story of your and @FFigawi exploits to gain a ROTR Boarding Pass - you both have received much props! This was especially true from a non-runner friend who said something like “wait, that means they ran even farther!?” Your legend continues to grow.

However, your greatest achievement in my eyes? Announcing to the world (or at least this thread) your love of The Muppets! Much props!

Day 2, Part 1: Rogue Two, reporting for duty

Friday my alarm went off at 2:45 a.m. and I was out the door by 3:15 a.m. I was on the first bus to the runner's staging area armed with my fancy, collector's edition, one of a kind, custom made "DIS" sign so folks could find the pre-10K meetup.

Before I even got to the staging area, I ran into @Z-Knight. We made our way to the designated meetup area and were soon joined by tons of runDisney all-stars, including @FFigawi, aka John. It was great to meet John since we had interacted over the years on the Disboards, but had never met in person. Plus, we had a little adventure we were cooking up...

John had plans after the 5K to get a boarding group for a little ride you might have heard of called Rise of the Resistance. My recollection (John, correct me if I'm wrong) is those plans didn't work. So, I had proposed the day before that we try to get a boarding group after the 10K. After some consulting with fellow runDisney all-stars, a new option was proposed: get a boarding group *DURING* the 10K.

If you haven't run the 10K, the concept was simple in theory: leave the 10K course around Mile 4.5 (Boardwalk area), take the path to Hollywood Studios, get in the park before 7, use our phones to get a boarding group right after the park opened at 7, run back, avoid the balloon ladies and finish the 10K. Simple, right?

Well, maybe not so simple. We weren't entirely sure it could be pulled off for a number of reasons - starting time, pace, where would the balloon ladies be, etc. But, someone in our group chat gave us a super cool nickname: Rogue Two. And as far as I'm concerned, if you're going to be bestowed a really cool nickname, you darn sure better earn it.

So, with a lot of encouragement from our fellow runDisney all-stars, John and I left the meetup a little early to get to the front of Corral C, where we were both inexplicably placed for the 10K, despite times that suggested we should be in Corral B.

The timing of everything I'm doing a little bit from memory, so if my math is a little off, forgive me. I swear this whole adventure checks out.

We started around 5:40 a.m. and did approximately 10-minute miles. The first few miles were fairly uneventful, with the exception of @Dis_Yoda hooking us up with Jello shots on the Boardwalk.

7ebf3366-c881-4ab4-8ff8-a9b3547414f6 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

9b17d816-7b06-432f-86f2-6795534c1536 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

Shortly after the shots, we veered off course. We didn't know if this was going to work, but dang it, we were committed to trying. Surprisingly, there was no one else on the path to DHS. I really thought someone else would be attempting this. So, either John and I are crazy or geniuses. I'll let the readers decide.

We got to DHS around 6:45 a.m. and into the park itself around 6:55 a.m. Just minutes to spare. We were definitely the only runners inside the park and we got a few looks, as well as a few questions. Most of them went like this:

Them: "Whoa, did you guys just finish the race?"

Us: "No! We're in the middle of it and we have to get back and finish!"

Them: *perplexed look*

As 7 a.m. approached, we shut off our WiFi, pulled up the MDE app and started refreshing like crazy. At 7:01, I got the notification and we had a boarding group. Number 32 I believe. With our mission halfway accomplished (we still had to finish!), Rogue Two posed for a quick photo to commemorate the occasion.

View attachment 465630

(I don't know why it insists on uploading sideways, just tilt your screen)

Now, I'm a grown up, 36 year old man and John seems to be a fully-functional adult, as well, but I'm comfortable to admit that we were giddy on the run back to the 10K course. High fives and lots of, "I can't believe we pulled that off!" It was really awesome and some of the most fun I've ever had on a course. We, of course, sent texts to the group chat informing them we were successful in our pursuit.

On the way back, we didn't see any other runners and by the time we got there, it would have been pretty risky for anyone else to chance it. Given that boarding groups will *likely* be a thing of the past by next Marathon Weekend, chances are John and I are the only ones who will ever attempt this. Not gonna lie, I'm still dang proud of it. Rogue Two forever.

Anyway, we finished the 10K (now up to 8 miles).

2b72fc0f-ded9-4e04-be8f-3a1f94c444a5 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

683659ef-0ced-4734-8311-fd62d33eaf73 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

ee1ffab8-9c53-4994-bf9f-b7aaa4c2b971 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

After celebratory parking lot beers and the first of many re-tellings of our adventure, I left to get on a bus back to my hotel so I could get cleaned up and, you know, actually use those RotR boarding groups we worked so hard to obtain.

John ... that was legendary.

b7043b6b-9933-4b98-863b-d66f93a9a79a by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

Next up ... RISE.
Legendary indeed - out in DL this weekend and scored opening day Rise boarding groups that lasted 45 seconds but this still trumps that

We had the same ADR time at Oga's as you did! We were over by the DJ Droid.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it- I thought the prices for the mixed drinks were Disney-priced, but not too much more than most of the fancy bars at home. I don't know what was in the Fuzzy Tauntaun, but the way it made your lips and mouth tingle was crazy!

The drink itself tasted good, there was just so little of it. It was seriously about 3 ounces. Compare that with a $10 or $15 margarita in Mexico. Sure, it's expensive, but at least you get a full cup.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
RnRC is too intense for me too.

My $17 margarita at Oga’s was equally miniature (personally, I like my margaritas in a glass the size of a cereal bowl 😉). But, man...it was good!

Ha ha. Yes. It was good, but way too small. The price didn't match the experience, in my opinion.

I have told a few people at work about the story of your and @FFigawi exploits to gain a ROTR Boarding Pass - you both have received much props! This was especially true from a non-runner friend who said something like “wait, that means they ran even farther!?” Your legend continues to grow.

However, your greatest achievement in my eyes? Announcing to the world (or at least this thread) your love of The Muppets! Much props!

My love for the Muppets holds no bounds. Thanks for sharing our tale!

Legendary indeed - out in DL this weekend and scored opening day Rise boarding groups that lasted 45 seconds but this still trumps that

Thanks!

It was so fun at HH listening to you telling the RotR Story! You guys rock ;)

Thanks, Tobi! It was great meeting you and your wife last weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter