Gorilla Falls Trail

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
Are the hippos you see on the trail the same ones you see on Kilimanjaro safaris? Just trying to figure out if it will be possible to see the new baby from the trail as well as the moving truck (I know it will be up to the mom and baby's location too, but it would be cool to get a longer look at him/her)!

Last edited:

Are you in Cincinnati? We love Fiona!

Memphis. I had been watching Fiona videos for a while when they announced that we had our own baby Hippo Winnie. She's a little younger than Fiona. They had a rash of births at our zoo this year, so it was a good time to see the babies!

Last edited:
We missed both the tiger babies and hippo because of the cold. We did see the Warhol babies, the mom had them all lined up to show them off for the safari!! So cute!

How long are the trails at AK...both distance and how much time did they take you to do? If you had to pick one, which would you do? We've never gone on them and my family is done with the safari ride(for a few personal reasons). AK isn't the favorite park for the rest of the family, so we only have a 1/2 day scheduled there. I keep reading that the trails are "must do"...and hoping to talk them into walking a couple of them!

How long are the trails at AK...both distance and how much time did they take you to do? If you had to pick one, which would you do? We've never gone on them and my family is done with the safari ride(for a few personal reasons). AK isn't the favorite park for the rest of the family, so we only have a 1/2 day scheduled there. I keep reading that the trails are "must do"...and hoping to talk them into walking a couple of them!
It depends on how long you stop at each animal place. We did Maharajah Jungle Trek (Tigers) and spent about 20 minutes but we strolled and spent a bunch of time at each spot (though we skipped the aviary because my sister has bad experiences with birds)!

I loved it though and wish we had taken more time to do the Gorilla Falls trail

Each trail is about 4/10 of a mile. You could probably see the whole trail in about 20 or 25 minutes if you did not stop to look at the animal for long. There are different animals on each trail, so if you only have time for one, you should prioritize according to which animals you would most like to see.

Are the hippos you see on the trail the same ones you see on Kilimanjaro safaris? Just trying to figure out if it will be possible to see the new baby from the trail as well as the moving truck (I know it will be up to the mom and baby's location too, but it would be cool to get a longer look at him/her)!

Not sure this always happens, but we did the safari yesterday morning and they stopped the truck for some time to see the baby hippo. I think the driver said it was their first baby hippo in 15 years! It was so cute!

The Wild Africa Trek is pricey, but you get to spend a considerable amount of time with the hippos (10-15 minutes or so). I highly recommend it if you want to see the baby. You are on the other side from where the Safari Trucks come through, and you can see them being fed, so they come close.

Wild Africa Trek 028 (1).jpg Wild Africa Trek 025 (2).jpgWild Africa Trek 024.jpg

It depends on how long you stop at each animal place. We did Maharajah Jungle Trek (Tigers) and spent about 20 minutes but we strolled and spent a bunch of time at each spot (though we skipped the aviary because my sister has bad experiences with birds)!

I loved it though and wish we had taken more time to do the Gorilla Falls trail
We went 2 years ago walked 10 feet and i got pooped on lol

We missed both the tiger babies and hippo because of the cold. We did see the Warhol babies, the mom had them all lined up to show them off for the safari!! So cute!

Warhol babies? I'm getting some strange images in my head! Crazy-looking babies in soup cans? Or is that an auto-correct for warthog? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter