Gotcha Day?

amgodinich

Earning My Ears
We will be making our first Disney family trip this winter, visiting from January 24-Feb 1. It's myself, my wife, and my 5 y.o. son. When we booked they asked us if we were celebrating anything during our trip (Birthdays, anniversaries, etc). I said no at the time, but have since remembered that we will be there on our son's "Gotcha Day" (he's been with us since the day he was born, but the day that his adoption was legally finalized). Is that something that the park would recognize, and if so would it be worth our while to let them know?

We will be making our first Disney family trip this winter, visiting from January 24-Feb 1. It's myself, my wife, and my 5 y.o. son. When we booked they asked us if we were celebrating anything during our trip (Birthdays, anniversaries, etc). I said no at the time, but have since remembered that we will be there on our son's "Gotcha Day" (he's been with us since the day he was born, but the day that his adoption was legally finalized). Is that something that the park would recognize, and if so would it be worth our while to let them know?
Best wishes to your family!
If you ask for a celebration button they will give you one. Lots of people celebrate lots of things at WDW. I've found the best way to guarantee a cupcake or the like is to just purchase one. You might get lucky, though and be gifted something.

You can just ask for a pin. Gotcha Day is definitely a celebration (ours is Nov 23rd)

That term is understood mainly by those of us in the adoption community. I would probably write "Adoption Day" on the button. More people with get that.

as an adoptee, this is the first I’ve heard of such a thing... so I would not know what gotcha day is.... I would suggest “adoption day” celebration button. if you don’t care if people know, then go with what makes you happy.

My parents got me at birth but it was like a week or two after I was born. We only celebrated my actual birthday when I was growing up.

congrats!

I would DEFINITELY celebrate it! Like others said, I would maybe have them put "adoption day" on the button since not everyone knows what gotcha day is (we call it family day in my family!). And now that you mention it, we're going to be in Disney on my daughter's referral day...guess we'll be celebrating at Galaxy's Edge! :)

We also call it Family Day and we do celebrate it,
But Gotcha Day is such an awful term.

we also know that as our son gets older he might feel a sense of loss on that day as well and it’s OK if he does not want to celebrate or do so in a different way.
But at 7 years he is still enjoying Family Day.

As an adoptive parent, I must say I have never liked the term "Gotcha Day." It sounds like you're celebrating snagging a 70 inch TV at a great price on Black Friday or something similar. I'd use the term "Adoption Day."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!