Grand Californian Wait List

atmail35

Mouseketeer
I had no idea that it was so difficult to get a reservation at VGC. :eek: Should have checked here first!

Anyway, a friend w/ DVC has us on a waitlist for a 1BR. We are looking for end of July, honestly what are our chances?

I was going to book a room at GC to make sure we have something, I was told the cancellation policy was 30+ days to get the deposit back. This was via the disney website and I also checked Costco Travel. I read on dis that you can cancel 5 days out...is that through a different booking avenue? Although my friend said the waitlist was up to 31 days before travel so I guess it doesn't matter since if the WL doesn't come through at 31 days I'll have to go with the Plan B?

Thanks!

I had no idea that it was so difficult to get a reservation at VGC. :eek: Should have checked here first!

Anyway, a friend w/ DVC has us on a waitlist for a 1BR. We are looking for end of July, honestly what are our chances?

I was going to book a room at GC to make sure we have something, I was told the cancellation policy was 30+ days to get the deposit back. This was via the disney website and I also checked Costco Travel. I read on dis that you can cancel 5 days out...is that through a different booking avenue? Although my friend said the waitlist was up to 31 days before travel so I guess it doesn't matter since if the WL doesn't come through at 31 days I'll have to go with the Plan B?

Thanks!

I've always been told 5 days when making my reservations over the phone. Maybe it varies from 1 resort to the next?? I have my first ever stay at GC in May, and I actually do not recall them telling me the cancellation period. Our most recent visit (PPH in December) was 5 days for sure.

Thanks!

Good luck, I have tried several times in the pass to get a reservation using my DVC at GC with no luck. It is my understanding that GC has limited DVC rooms so it's not easy to get into this resorts unless it's your home resort. Your friend with the DVC is correct that the waitlist is up to 31 prior to check in or else his/her points will be placed into a holding account. They are strict guidelines on how these points are used once they are placed into a holding account.

Disney World is 5 days for room only, Disneyland is 30 days last I checked.

That being said, you can usually book on points at GC, DLH or Paradise Pier on points for a little bit more than VGC.

Disney World is 5 days for room only, Disneyland is 30 days last I checked.

That being said, you can usually book on points at GC, DLH or Paradise Pier on points for a little bit more than VGC.

So she could book me a room with her points at the GC (not the VGC) or other two DL hotels? Perhaps she did not know that.

Thanks all for the info! Sounds like a slim chance, maybe I should just go with a room at. GC, although a 1br is so much better w/ little kids.

So she could book me a room with her points at the GC (not the VGC) or other two DL hotels? Perhaps she did not know that.

Thanks all for the info! Sounds like a slim chance, maybe I should just go with a room at. GC, although a 1br is so much better w/ little kids.

She can use her points to book but it is not as good of a use of her points. In the VGC you get more value out of your points... booking a regular hotel room costs more points.

It is very hard to get a room at the VGC once the 7 month booking window has opened. But you might get lucky on the waitlist depending on how far down the waitlist you are.

The points to book at the hotels is a lot more than booking the Villas so it might still be better to book for cash unless your friend just has a ton of points she want to give you.

Also - a DVC waitlist can be set up to go until 7 days out but that would not really help because of the 30 day cancellation requirement for the room. (And that sounds like a newer policy to me? I thought it was very similar to WDW but my last cash room at GC was booked 2 days before I checked in so I wouldn't have paid attention to the cancellation policy).

Staying at the GC on points in July in a regular hotel room on a weeknight would cost 50 points for one nightstandard view, staying at a studio for one night on a weeknight is 26 points for 1 night a 1 BR is 52 points.

So I've just called DLR and verified, cancellation policy is 5 days for room only. For packages it is 30 days.

Thanks for all the info about points etc.!

So I've just called DLR and verified, cancellation policy is 5 days for room only. For packages it is 30 days.

Thanks! I will ask again about room only. My friend said she could extend the waitlist to 7 days out. I'm not sure if I should bother if it is unlikely (seems stressful to wait and have to cancel).

My best "deal" right now seems to be booking a GC room through Costco w/ tix and getting a free character meal and $20 gift card. That cancellation is policy is 30 days.

I might also look into Dreams Unlimited, since we are also going to San Diego after.

Knowing that it would be hard to get a full week at GC at 7 months out me and my wife will probably try to get 2 night at GC and then go Aulani for 5 or 6 nights. That plan might work for us.

We are looking for 3 nights, weekday, does that help our chances?

Not really. Before Cars Land opened, there was an off season. Now there is no off season or off days for GCV. Week days seem to be harder to get, probably because they require fewer points.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but also if your friend bought her points via resale within the last 2 years then she can't book GC hotel, DLH, or PP. I can't remember what year that was when Disney put a clause in the resale contracts that limit their membership to vacation club properties and world passport collection only.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but also if your friend bought her points via resale within the last 2 years then she can't book GC hotel, DLH, or PP. I can't remember what year that was when Disney put a clause in the resale contracts that limit their membership to vacation club properties and world passport collection only.

FROM Disney Vacation Club Member Website:

As of March 21, 2011, Members who purchase their Ownership Interest through Disney Vacation Development, Inc. are eligible to book reservations for all Member Getaways collections. Members who purchase on the resale market after this date will not be able to use those vacation points to make reservations for the Concierge or DisneyCollections

Thanks again everyone. I finally called Disney Travel and booked a room. They did confirm that it is a 5 day cancellation. My friend will keep us on the waitlist until 7 days before our trip. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Oh and they have had DVC for a while and it wasn't through a resller, but thanks for the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter