Grand Canyon tour - can anyone recommend a good tour company?

~ButterflyKisses~

Mouseketeer
We are travelling to Vegas from Australia in September and during our time there we want to do a tour of the grand canyon. I've heard there are lots of tour companies that do these kinds of tours. Can anyone recommend a good one?

We'd like to do a airplane or helicopter tour. I've heard some tours see the canyon by boat too. That sounds like fun! We'd like a tour company that will pick us up and drop us off at our hotel. We're staying at the Bellagio.

So far I have been looking at the tours run by Scenic airlines. Are there any better companies?

Also i've heard it is better to do a tour of the south rim rather than the west rim. Would you agree?

Has anyone done a similiar tour and what did you think?

I want to know the same thing.I have been told August /September are so hot it is best to do the flyover as opposed to the one where you land as it is too much in the heat but having never been I really am confused as to what to do :(

Since no one has offered any advice in 2 weeks may I suggest you
contact the Concierge at the Bellagio? They will know the good
tour companies that pick up at their hotel and they will be able
to not only book the tour for you but they might offer a
discount.

I know that Las Vegas Grand Canyon Tours offers the helicopter
and boat experience in one tour. Regarding which is better - south
or west - that's really subjective. Both offer amazing views of the
National Park and both have their own, unique beauty. But if you
trust those who have told you it's better to tour the south rim
rather than the west rim, that's an excellent recommendation.

It sounds like you are looking for a flying tour, so this might not interest you, but as no one else has really said anything:
We did a tour of the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon and Zion national park with Bundu Bashers. It was pretty expensive, but worth every penny. I think most of our group preferred Bryce canyon to the Grand canyon having seen both (and I actually liked Monument valley best, but was in a group of my own there). We did a 3 day tour, and they included accomodation and picked up and dropped off from any strip hotel.

They have add ons including a float trip down Glen canyon (think this turns into grand canyon further along) and horseback riding and quad biking for an extra fee which I think would be awesome if you can afford it. We did the float trip and it was very cool.
I believe they also include Antelope Canyon in the itinerary now which is beautiful in a whole different way.

I have never been to the South rim of the Grand Canyon, but our tour took us to the North rim as it is less crowded, and I really liked being able to walk a little way down the path at lunchtime and being completely on my own with the Canyon for a short while.

My idea of a day trip to the Grand Canyon became a mega affair because I felt like I couldnt be that close to monument valley without seeing that too, and the tour we went on was the only one which I thought gave you enough time at both to see them. Bryce was an added benefit that I probably wouldnt have thought of on my own if it wasnt in the tour itinerary. Im so glad that it was though, as it is probably my favourite place on earth (and is the background for my work laptop now to remind me what the world is supposed to look like).

Hiking is the best way to see the canyon!!! If you're in shape for it (Wish I was young again!) then do it as you won't regret it. There are several hiking tours (including mule trips) available.

The west rim is remote and mostly on indian land. Theres a new glass bottom cantilevered platform that extends from the rim out over the canyon for incredible (and scary!) views. Hiking to Havasupai Falls is a great day hike well worth it for the views and swimming!

The south rim is the main central hub of the Grand Canyon. This is where 90% of tourists go. There are hotels, restaurants, shops, etc. all here. Great views by walking or taking shuttle buses to different view points. Many air tours will take you to the GC airport (about 10 miles away) and drive you to the south rim for ground based viewing.

The north rim facilities are directly across from the south. There is a restaurant, hotel and camping areas here. It is much more remote and less touristy than the south rim. It's also cooler here as the north rim is 325m higher than the south. From the air you'd see both rims equally.

I'm not familiar enough with the air tour companies to help you in that area. While many love the views I'm more of the type that prefers to see the canyon from the ground especially if you hike it or take mules. Stay a night at Phantom Ranch located at the bottom of the canyon for a really great true canyon experiance. Only way to get there is foot or mule.

Years ago I ran into some tourists from AUS at the canyon. It was mid Febuary. They were wearing shorts, sandles etc. I asked them how they could dress that way in freezing temperatures with snow all around. They replied they were pretty upset at their AUS travel agent for telling them Arizona is always hot year round!! Winter is one of the best times to go to the canyon. It is beautiful in the snow and no large crowds but gotta wear winter clothes! In the summer the canyon rims are warm in afternoons, cool at night. The bottom of the canyon can easily be 30F warmer than the top!!!

We did a Bus Tour that took us to the South Rim on our trip, last year. Can't remember the name of it, but it is in my below trip report. Anywho, it was a nice decent ride, but it did take time away from seeing and spending time at the Canyon. I would suggest driving. If that's an option for you. But have a great time whatever you decide. :upsidedow

Depending on your budget and time I highly recommend traveling a little further south and doing Sedonas pink jeep tour, its very similar landscape lots of red rock and forest, very pretty area. The jeeps take you through pretty extreme off road conditions, alot of fun if ya have the time.

Experience the awe that is the Grand Canyon in a unique and informative way! Depart from las vegas and find yourself in an adventure millions of years in the making while learning about the intricate history of the Grand Canyon and the many obscure facts that is sure to stimulate your imagination.

Most people seem to recommend doing a tour of the South Rim which means flying out on a plane, as the helicopter trips from Las Vegas only go to Grand Canyon West which is not actually part of the Grand Canyon National Park. Having said that, both rims look spectacular. The cost for both trips is similar. We're heading out there in August with a company called Maverick which gets good reviews. It's more expensive than other companies, apparently because of the type of helicopters they fly which are newer and have larger windows and forward-facing seats. We got an offer which included a free helicopter flight down the Strip at night, so keep an eye out for that if it comes up again.

Me and my best friend used a company called U-Drive.

We hired a Hummer H3 and self drove ourselves out of Vegas, through Boulder city, over the Hoover Dam and into the Canyon! It was a great drive, about 2 hours or so.

We drove straight to the Airstrip, where we got into our Helicopter and went for a 25 min helicopter tour through the canyon, the helicopter dropped us off inside the canyon and we took a relaxing 20 min cruise down the Colorado River. Then we got picked up by our Helicopter and dropped back to the airstrip, where we boarded a bus and it took us to our lunch point where we ate our inclusive meals and we got to stroll around the rim of the canyon and take lots of photos and explore...there are NO ropes or barriers so you can get as close to the edge as you like...as we discovered.....

helicopter pics

n503504625_907678_1188.jpg

n503504625_907679_1369.jpg

n503504625_907680_1552.jpg

n503504625_907681_1734.jpg

n503504625_907790_3436.jpg

River Pics
n503504625_907683_2115.jpg

n503504625_907684_2301.jpg

n503504625_907717_3228.jpg

n503504625_907718_3479.jpg

n503504625_907719_3717.jpg

n503504625_907721_4239.jpg

n503504625_907722_4484.jpg

n503504625_907723_4766.jpg

n503504625_907724_5012.jpg

Canyon pics
n503504625_907789_3165.jpg

n503504625_907790_3436.jpg

n503504625_907791_3700.jpg

n503504625_907794_4553.jpg

n503504625_907795_4839.jpg

n503504625_907796_5127.jpg

Hummer!!
n503504625_907798_5741.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter