Grand Europe Christmas 2023

daxxx

Earning My Ears
Hello!

I have been reading posts but recently joined to be able to post. We are going on Grand Europe Christmas week and wondering who else may be going. I believe at least 32 are signed up last ABD told me.

Also looking for a little advice/confirmation from those have have flown US to Europe. We are booked through Delta to fly to Europe on a nonstop virgin flight in premium, landing the day before the tour starts. I wanted to get upperclass since it is overnight and we really want to make the most of our first day there and try to limit jetlag. I'm sure by second day (when the tour starts, which is really just dinner) we should be relatively fine. Has anyone had experience with booking the lie flat seats to sleep or is not really worth the few hours sleep you may get? The price is quite a bit more.

Lastly, has anyone done this type of tour during Christmas before? We will be in Paris Christmas Eve and day. I believe the standard itinerary lines up with us doing the Lourve Christmas day, but I read it's closed. I know ABD will give the final itinerary next month and I'm sure they adjust for closures, but we are just curious if Christmas is a bonus or negative as far as availability of activities. We think Christmas will add differences that are worth it, but just wondering the impact on normal touring.

"Worth it" is so subjective. I prefer to fly business class, particularly TO Europe as I try to get some sleep in. The lie flat seats help. My DH never sleeps, no matter how/where he sits, so he just likes the extra room. Prices can be all over the board for business class, and it pays to shop around and keep an eye on how they fluctuate. Non-stop is nice, as it is less chance for your luggage to get lost, and we always fly in a day early - partly for jet lag, and partly because we've had several flights canceled or delayed going to Europe so I like a cushion for timing.

I always fly Business for overseas flights and it does make a big difference (to me); however, depending on where you're coming from in the US, you're right that the flight time might not really allow for much sleep (my flight next week has a 13-hour leg - those are the flights were it really makes a difference and I can get a good sleep). I'd definitely arrive at least the day before - both for getting adjusted to the timezone and also to allow at least some buffer for delays/cancellations.

Something else to consider is how tall/wide/big you are, and what airline you're flying (and even which exact make of plane.) The size of economy seats, and the space between rows is variable. Some airlines I can't even reach my feet to get something out of my purse because the seat in front of me is so close. Many airlines have premium economy, which gives you several more inches of space, and can make a long flight more bearable, but isn't as expensive as business class.

If you are checking a bag, put an apple airtag in it. It can be a huge help in finding lost luggage.

In large part thanks to DISboards, @calypso726, and the long-running credit cards thread (on the budget board), I haven't flown in economy out of the country since 2016 (and 25+ RTs to Europe and Asia). It has pretty much transformed the airline part of travel from something that must be suffered through to something that is enjoyable. I had never been able to sleep on a plane before, even in premium economy, but with lie flats I actually sleep and arrive rested. Arriving rested makes that first day enjoyable and makes the adjustment much easier. It basically starts the trip off on the right foot.

We live on the West Coast so most of our flights are 10+ hours. If I'm flying cross-county or to Hawaii (5 hours), I will still fly economy, although the lie flats we had to HNL last week were pretty awesome. Again, we slept and arrived rested and we didn't have any jet lag the next day either.

We are also both tall (husband is 6'5) so the extra space helps. If you live on the East Coast and can sleep sitting up, you are probably fine in PE or even some economy. Virgin IMO has the best PE product.

We are on east coast so it is 8.5 hours flight. I called Delta today and there are no more mileage upgrades left ( I didnt realize you can upgrade virgin by calling when I booked). The cost is 2,000 more to upgrade the virgin flight which is over half of what the round trip costs so doesn't seem worth it. I'm 5 9 and my other half is only 5 5 so we generally fit well in most airlines seats. We did ask to check in at 8am just in case we had a bad flight.

I was looking at airtags and think I will get some for the bags. Good suggestion!

Because you are lying flat, you will feel the motion of the plane more. It feels a bit like sleeping in a hammock. I would not recommend a flat seat to anyone prone to motion sickness. For me the flat seat was more comfortable, but I still did not get much sleep.

On United, I've been able to upgrade at 24-hr check-in for as little as $500 for one-way to Europe. This is subject to availability. You could increase your odds, by flying mid-week. You might even be able to grab 3-4 empty seats in the back for free. When the door closes, it becomes a mad rush to claim empty seats!

No matter your seat, you will still have jetlag. Read up on methods to over-come jetlag. If you give into your body, you will lose!

-Paul

Please note

A lot of Places WILL BE CLOSED from Friday 22nd Dec. till AT least till Wednesday 27 th Dec.

AND CLOSE again From 4 pm Friday 29th Dec. till Tuesday 2nd Jan .

This is Europe NOT U.S.A

It is Christmas & New Year ==== Family time

Public buildings Will be Closed

Make sure that you have enough money as Banks will be closed ( ATM,s will be refilled )

Flights that are 8 hours or less i find it difficult to really get good rest. Might get about 2-3 hours or so. But they do meal shortly after takeoff and another right before landing -- which means light in the cabin are on and additional noise. I'm facing something similar with a December trip and decided it wasn't worth it to pay the full cost and instead book premium plus for at least a more comfortable seat. If there's an available upgrade for cheap when check in then maybe. Our flight back is close to 11 hours -- so I've put in for a mileage upgrade, but then it's a flight during the day and we won't take as much advantage of the lieflat I'm afraid.

We will be doing Italy during Christmas -- I'm expecting things will be closed but from what can read, it will be less crowded, amazing nativity scenes, not summer weather. I'm prepared that we might have more hotel meals than if we book at other times but that's ok.

Thank you all for the advice! For a brief moment Delta was offering upgrades for 580ish a person in the app... I tried to book and got an error in the app. They authorized my card, but I suspect that will fall off in a day or two. I called Delta and he said it was 1400 a person. I got no were with them, even though the authorization to my card was ~1100. He said he couldn't see it since the confirmation never completed. If it's not meant to be, then c'est la vie (yes we are trying to learn some French for Paris...). I do think I agree with polynor though, it may be short enough that I don't sleep as much as I think I would. We have lie flat coming home, which is a longer flight and I am expecting to feel more tired than anyway since it's the end of the trip.

We also just bought some currency this week because it appears the rates are trending up. Just a few hundred between Euro and Pound. We get free international withdrawals at certain banks in all of Europe so I'm not terribly worried if we need more cash. I used to work in banking with foreign currency and I had forgotten how strange other currency felt compared to dollars!

Does anyone have any recommendations on places to go/see during Christmas? London, Paris, or Italy (Florence/Rome). Maybe certain seasonal markets? A friend of ours went over summer and said Borough Market in London was great to see. Paris is the biggest wild card because it will be just before, during, and after Christmas day. Or maybe certain restuarants that we should try? We are moderately well traveled in big cities of the USA so roaming around isn't an issue, but I'd hate to miss out on something we should see. We do have Mamma Mia booked in London since it is right next to our hotel (and who doesn't like ABBA??).

Have a great time! I'm sure it will be an excellent trip. I love Europe, especially the big cities and Christmas markets in those locations. Keep in mind that many countries require a vignette for fast roads, and you can check which ones on https://vignettetoll.eu and even order them in advance.

Last edited:
Thank you! And we ended up getting upgraded for 300 a person thanks to a good deal and a ten minute flight change that allowed us to switch flights for no cost. Now we just have to fill the on your own time dining with places to go!

e also just bought some currency this week because it appears the rates are trending up. Just a few hundred between Euro and Pound. We get free international withdrawals at certain banks in all of Europe so I'm not terribly worried if we need more cash. I used to work in banking with foreign currency and I had forgotten how strange other currency felt compared to dollars!

Please Note Most Banks will be closed

At 1700hrs ( 5pm ) on Friday 22nd Dec. till Wednesday 27 th + 28th & 29th

Close again at 5pm Friday 29th till Tuesday 2nd Jan 2024

Just make sure that you have " Chip & Pin " for ATM withdrawals

at ATM machines outside banks

OR MORE Cash OR USE your Smart Phone

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter