Grand Floridian Gingerbread House

purpliequeen

DIS Veteran
I just watched "Decorating Disney Holiday Magic" on Hulu and am very curious about the items sold in the Gingerbread House at the Grand Floridian. Has anyone picked up anything this year and how does it taste? I'm perusing one of the other Disney Food Blog posts and it looks like a chocolate dipped shingle goes for $9. I know it's seen as a souvenir and chocolate dipped, but at this price range it better be amazing. Does it look better than it actually tastes? Disney Food Blog reviewed some of the other more elaborate items like the cupcake and s'mores cookie, but I'm hoping for a review of the basic items.

Thanks in advance!

We were there at Thanksgiving and my daughter and I split a shingle. We didn't think it tasted very good. We aren't really big gingerbread people, so not the best judges. We found it very dry and left probably a 1/3 of it. They had other stuff though. My son had cupcake and he enjoyed that. There are lots of different things, including a whole gluten free list.

48277498_2002398696450010_8991777727988105216_n.jpg

47685555_711726882554201_5519563485425434624_n.jpg

I do not care for any gingerbread cookies at Disney. I tried several last year at different locations, including the GF gingerbread house and thought they were all very dry. However at the Contemporary they had a little cookie stand next to their little house and they were my favorite. I think it was a snowflake or Christmas tree shaped sugar cookie. Best ones I have had on property!

Can't speak for the GF specific gingerbread, but my family and I paid $6.50 today for a chocolate dipped gingerbread shingle at the Beach Club marketplace after viewing their carousel of gingerbread. Eh. Dry, bland, mediocre. Not great. Call it the Disney plus additional holiday markup, but I wouldn't have paid more than $1.50 for it anywhere else.

We tried a cookie at GF because we were curious to see if it tasted "different" than what we have/make here at home. The taste was the same (to us). So while we didn't think the cookie was anything special, it was pretty cool to buy right from the gingerbread house! We wouldn't buy another one next year, though, but we'd be open to trying something different.

Yes, they are dry, but personally, I love them!! Dip it in your coffee or cocoa like biscotti! And they're huge, so you can easily split between people. When we've stayed at Beach Club for the holidays, I like to get a gingerbread shingle to keep in the room and have a piece of it each morning with my coffee.

We had the S'mores cookie this weekend and it was delicious. Nobody cared for the gingerbread cookie though(but none of us really like gingerbread, to be fair)

You all are the best. Thank you, Shelley, for the photos. I'm going to save the $9 and buy my tried & true carrot cake whoopie pie cookie from the DHS Trolley Car Starbucks. Hopefully they haven't played with the original recipe from Writer's Stop too much!

We were there at Thanksgiving and my daughter and I split a shingle. We didn't think it tasted very good. We aren't really big gingerbread people, so not the best judges. We found it very dry and left probably a 1/3 of it. They had other stuff though. My son had cupcake and he enjoyed that. There are lots of different things, including a whole gluten free list.

48277498_2002398696450010_8991777727988105216_n.jpg

47685555_711726882554201_5519563485425434624_n.jpg
Excellent!!

how does it taste?
We bought one a couple weeks ago. Having never really eaten ginger bread i thought it was ok and actually probably a good thing that it had the chocolate bottom. I guess they also sell the shingles without chocolate in the store that is right next to the gingerbread display - so i think it costs a little less as it doesn't have the chocolate on it. I don't think i would get it again in the future but glad i tried it once.

I had the gingerbread Mickey head with the ears dipped in chocolate during Thanksgiving Week and it was pretty good.

The shingles are beyond gross. Both DH and I spit it out and tossed the rest.

I guess they also sell the shingles without chocolate in the store that is right next to the gingerbread display - so i think it costs a little less as it doesn't have the chocolate on it. I don't think i would get it again in the future but glad i tried it once.

When I was there on Monday, the shingles sold in the store next to the gingerbread house were the same ones with the layer of chocolate on the bottom... except no line to purchase one!

We bought one to split between me, my sister, and my mom. I thought it was okay and my sister and mom didn’t like it. I could see how dipping it in hot chocolate or coffee would make it better. Without the chocolate layer I wouldn’t have liked it at all. I agree with other that it is dry. But most gingerbread I’ve had are the crispier kind so I don’t have much to compare it to.

Just watched the video of building the Gingerbread house at GF. Amazing to watch.
Have not tried any of their gingrebread, but not a big fan of it either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter