GRAND OPENING - GRAND CLOSING (Florida)

I have an old high school friend that I follow on Facebook lives between Tampa and Orlando. The other day she posted a rant about how she got called out at Aldi for not following the directional aisle rules. What blows me away is that many comments were like “is this pandemic even still a thing?“. So there are people in Florida are either clueless or avoiding the truth.

I have an old high school friend that I follow on Facebook lives between Tampa and Orlando. The other day she posted a rant about how she got called out at Aldi for not following the directional aisle rules. What blows me away is that many comments were like “is this pandemic even still a thing?“. So there are people in Florida are either clueless or avoiding the truth.
It's more likely that they're listening to the wrong people.

Oh noes there are one directional aisles!!! What to do? What to do? Scott to bridge!!! The brain engines can't handle the strain..... It's gonna blow!!!! All hands abandon ship. Repeat All hands abandon... BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!

And people are actually thinking about going to a theme or movie theater. I'm not expecting Disney or US to remain open much longer.

I pray for you Floridians everyday. :sad2:

In some places, yes they are thinking of doing this. I actually don't even think, if the virus takes off, they will ramp down on openings. This virus has become very politicized here and opening/closing seems to follow a political party viewpoint. My own state's governor has received numerous death threats over going a bit slower. Every time a phase is delayed (or even when it progresses) the comments on social media are extreme. I'm quite shocked at the mentality out there.

What are the hospitalizations like? Just harping about "New cases" doesn't really mean anything. Are they cases that are mild and can be treated at home? Are they cases that are putting people in the hospital? In ICU?

An average of 8% of people in the US (that's over 26 MILLION) catch the flu each year, and that's WITH a vaccine readily available. Yes, I get that this is more serious than the flu. My point is about stressing over only the case numbers and not looking at what "kind" of cases they are.

I don't fully understand why walking one way helps.
Did the CDC recomend this?
I think the theory is you don't have people walking by each other facing each other (so it's more difficult to project the virus (whether by talking, coughing, sneezing, breathing, etc) on their faces.
Remember, the virus has to somehow get to your nose/mouth/eyes. Simply getting it on your skin is not going to make you sick.

Makes for less congested aisles and people bumping into each other.

I'm sorry for all of us living under pandemic rules but wild horses would not tempt me to visit far from my home. The man's family lives in FL and we are quite content waving to them on Skype, Facetime, etc.
Also not interested in going anywhere with crowds.
Not a gambler so have no intentions of playing for ultimate stakes like oh yeah my life.

Last edited:
I'm in Fleming Island (near Jacksonville). I went to Publix, and I saw maybe 10 other people with masks on, and following the one way aisles, out of about 50 people. I have allergies, and the lawn care guys were out cutting the grass and mulching the trees with cedar mulch before I went to the store, so I was wheezing a bit, and had a sneezing attack in the car before I went into the store (still wore my mask). But to those who saw me having a sneezing attack in the car before I went in the store, how would they know if it was allergies? Could have been I was sick, they don't know. Why risk it right now, as little as we know about this virus???

The testing sites here are open and closed and open and closed, depending on weather and other arbitrary reasons. I'm not sure if these are new cases, or old cases that are just now being reported.

What are the hospitalizations like? Just harping about "New cases" doesn't really mean anything. Are they cases that are mild and can be treated at home? Are they cases that are putting people in the hospital? In ICU?

An average of 8% of people in the US (that's over 26 MILLION) catch the flu each year, and that's WITH a vaccine readily available. Yes, I get that this is more serious than the flu. My point is about stressing over only the case numbers and not looking at what "kind" of cases they are.

Most don't seem to want to think past the number of new cases. So many numbers needed to have the big picture. They have tied close to 20% of the new numbers to the farming communities in North Central Florida where they have a high amount of migrant workers that live smooshed in and work close together.
Another number to know is what is the age and health of the new cases, its far more concerning if say 40% are in nursing homes that have a huge risk of being in the hospital for it then 40% of young and healthy people that aren't as likely too.

Another thing to keep in mine is some people are tested more than once, which this affects negative and positive.

Lastly, while it looks like going up, Florida is teasting far more people in June than in May, and more in May then April, and more in April than in March. We don't have the true picture of where we are because of this. If we knew true numbers it could show we are increasing, plateau or decreasing but we don't.

But bottom line is the goal all along was to keep the hospitals prepped and ready and keep them from being overwhelmed which we have done. It is not going away so we have to live with it like every other risk out there.

I think Florida stopped reporting their hospitalizations back in May when cases started rising steadily.

There is a place you can see what current hospitalizations are for any reason and see how many beds are available which is what is needed to know. Florida has never reported current hospitalized only total ( which is anyone that was for any period of time)

I'm in Fleming Island (near Jacksonville). I went to Publix, and I saw maybe 10 other people with masks on, and following the one way aisles, out of about 50 people. I have allergies, and the lawn care guys were out cutting the grass and mulching the trees with cedar mulch before I went to the store, so I was wheezing a bit, and had a sneezing attack in the car before I went into the store (still wore my mask). But to those who saw me having a sneezing attack in the car before I went in the store, how would they know if it was allergies? Could have been I was sick, they don't know. Why risk it right now, as little as we know about this virus???

The testing sites here are open and closed and open and closed, depending on weather and other arbitrary reasons. I'm not sure if these are new cases, or old cases that are just now being reported.

Small world, I am in Fleming Island also :) A lot are due to back log of testing too.

Makes for less congested aisles and people bumping into each other.

We don't have one way aisles in the stores I go to. But, when I go during the elderly & high risk people hour, it's kind of like playing "Human Pac Man." We'll walk to the end of an aisle and look down it. If we see someone already in the aisle, we'll go shop a different aisle until that one clears. And once you start walking down a particular aisle, no backing up or backtracing.

I accidentally did that once, as I realized I passed what I wanted. I turned to back up and there was already a person there, 6ft behind me, waiting for me to move forward. So, I just kept moving forward, instead of being rude and getting in her space. She had politely left 6 ft behind me, until I moved forward, even though I was in the space she wanted to get to. So, I wasn't going to back up. It was my fault that I wasn't looking more carefully in the first place.

Another thing to keep in mine is some people are tested more than once, which this affects negative and positive.

Lastly, while it looks like going up, Florida is teasting far more people in June than in May, and more in May then April, and more in April than in March. We don't have the true picture of where we are because of this. If we knew true numbers it could show we are increasing, plateau or decreasing but we don't.

This is why the rate of hospitalizations is the most important number. It shows how many people are sick enough that they need to be hospitalized and most likely in ICU.

I watch our Coronavirus news briefing every day. We get ALL the numbers and the Governor explains all the data to us and if we need to be concerned about anything particular. Our state is so big that we have different regions opening in different phases. Some are going to be in Phase 3 next week, while NYC is only in our first week of Phase 1.

With all the protests throughout the state, these next couple weeks will be crucial in seeing what all the charts do. Hopefully we will not have to close down again. :( Some businesses that could have opened this week didn't because they are afraid of looting, whether the protests will turn into riots, and whether the hospitalization numbers go back up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter