Grand Villas

MinnieVanMom

DIS Veteran
Just when you think you know DVC a new question comes up. We are going to be 3 families traveling next May. Total in group 8.

I wanted to stay at BCV but see they only have 2 br. I hate to have a people sleeping in the living area as there needs to be a neutral area for people to gather.

I know SSR has the tree houses, OKW the grand villa, but what other resorts have grand villas?

BLT, AKV, BWV, OKW, SSR, and VGF (opening Oct 2013) all have Grand Villas.

I was just checking and it looks like SSR the tree houses would be the cheapest for point use. I have never been there and will have a mini van. What do you think?

I was just checking and it looks like SSR the tree houses would be the cheapest for point use. I have never been there and will have a mini van. What do you think?

I haven't stayed in a Treehouse, but you will need to consider the sleeping arrangements. All though a Treehouse is a three bedroom, it's unique in it's configuration:

Master Bedroom: Queen bed
Second Bedroom: Queen bed
Third Bedroom: Bunk beds (twin size)
Living room: Sleeper Sofa & Sleeper Chair

I haven't stayed in a Treehouse, but you will need to consider the sleeping arrangements. All though a Treehouse is a three bedroom, it's unique in it's configuration:

Master Bedroom: Queen bed
Second Bedroom: Queen bed
Third Bedroom: Bunk beds (twin size)
Living room: Sleeper Sofa & Sleeper Chair

And those bunk beds aren't even really twin sized. They are a bit smaller. So full sized adults will have a problem sleeping on them.

Bwv has only a few and tend to book up quickly. I think blts book pretty fast too. Drusba has been tracking, and I think she's said most of the others often have availability during slower times of the year, like May.

May is a time of year you should be able to get a GV at 7 months out at any resort that has them except for possibly BWV (and likely VGF once it opens). The GV is actually your only option if you have 8 and don't want anyone sleeping in the living room. The treehouses are close to the same size as 2BRs and the three bedrooms in them are small with only four beds total (2 queens and one set of bunk beds). If you allowed for sleeping in a living room in a 2BR, you could do 8 in a 2BR particularly at OKW where they are huge, or AKV and BLT where they are larger than others (except OKW) and have three bathrooms. A third and cheaper point option than the GV is to get a 2BR and a studio but there is no guarantee the rooms would be close to each other although you can request it.

What do you think if we put our Dutch friends in a 2 bed? It would the couple with no kids, then a party of 3.

Put us in a studio as close to them as possible. Is that a better point use? The grand villas are so point heavy that I can't afford it without buying some points.

What do you think if we put our Dutch friends in a 2 bed? It would the couple with no kids, then a party of 3.

Put us in a studio as close to them as possible. Is that a better point use? The grand villas are so point heavy that I can't afford it without buying some points.

This is what I would do if I did not have the pts for a GV- to me the GV is not worth it unless you want/need the larger common space, a studio and 2 br is perfect for 8.

Dividing the reservations into a 2BR and a studio has another advantage. It allows you to cancel the studio while keeping the 2BR if one of the groups needs to bow out of the trip.

Keep in mind that although the THV has three bedrooms all of the BRs are smaller than those in a two bedroom and none of them have a king bed. If you compare the square footage of an SSR 2BR and a THV. The THV even though it has 3 BRs is 1 square foot smaller than the SSR 2 BR. Whereas all DVC GVs are over 2000 Sq. feet. Some even have a second area for people to gather, like a loft with a pull out couch (BLT) or at AKV Jambo House they have a pool table in one room, and at the VGF they will have a media room with a pull out couch.

Square footage

SSR 2BR - 1075
SSR THV - 1074

Dividing the reservations into a 2BR and a studio has another advantage. It allows you to cancel the studio while keeping the 2BR if one of the groups needs to bow out of the trip.

This is an excellent point. I have learned so far that the Dutch when they say yes, really mean it. We wondered if they said yes but really didn't know, etc. But when speaking to the couple, they said the family would only not make it if someone dies.

I think I am going to go for the 2 br and studio. I may have to borrow points for the first time but I like putting the Dutchies together and then our family of 3 will have the studio.

We are all meeting on Sunday to make the plan as I can book OKW at the 11 month, then at 7 months at 9 am exactly call and pray for the same at BCV.

Thank you Dis DVC friends for walking me through this process.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter