Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
:thumbsup2 I'm with you. Good point about using the old animation building -- or even the building where they used to have special exhibits (like Narnia, etc.). They had plenty of space to add more movie scenes and even could replace a lot of the older ones and make it fresh and new. Basically we will only end up going to this park for the Prime Time Cafe. What was once a "classic movie park" and now just a Star Wars and Toy Story park.

Anyone know if the main street of old type Hollywood and the characters that used to come out will still be part of this park, or are they doing away with that too?

All indications I have seen is that Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd is staying as is - as are the Citizens of Hollywood streetmosphere

True, although I wont miss GMR personally, and I'm actually glad to see more Mickey in the parks. DHS has never been my favorite park, and while I'm optimistic for what's coming, the future of the park itself seems to be utterly lacking in any coherent identity beyond being kind of an MK overflow for IP.

I see the park's identity becoming one of full immersion - so putting you in various situations that are seen in movies: So, rather than seeing a studio that makes movies like Star Wars, they are putting you IN Star Wars, or Toy Story, or Classic Hollywood, or a Mickey Cartoon, etc.

I see the park's identity becoming one of full immersion - so putting you in various situations that are seen in movies: So, rather than seeing a studio that makes movies like Star Wars, they are putting you IN Star Wars, or Toy Story, or Classic Hollywood, or a Mickey Cartoon, etc.
Yep, at D23 2015 Imagineers specifically said they are working to put you in the movies/stories vs. showing you how those stories are made.

Disney execs want fresh and new with Disney IP. GMR was old, outdated, and not all Disney IP.

I think through their recent acquisitions and what I assume are the rights they control through Touchstone this could have been taken care of. Dead Poets Society scene anyone?

Thanks for the pictures. I wish I had photo's of every scene so I could look back at it. Do you think they are available anywhere?

I took a HD recording of it when I was there the week prior to it closed. Quality isn't bad so you can take some stills from it for your memory box!

Seeing that the banners changed from having Mickey on them to just generic branding gives me slight hope that they decided now to use the normal designs instead of the 2013 ones. Probably won't happen, considering it is supposably opening sooner than one would think, I just wanted to have a glimmer of hope
Where are you seeing this?

i think they probably swapped to generic signs since the old ones referenced the great movie ride ("that's a wrap!") but they've already taken down the marquee so there's no point in referencing it

the "hollywood studios or bust!" photo op and the updated posters in the facade still use the newer designs

are they really just throwing the ride away? I feel like collectors would pay a lot of money for pieces of it if they don't want to store it.

are they really just throwing the ride away? I feel like collectors would pay a lot of money for pieces of it if they don't want to store it.
well, I assume things like the animatronics and props and stuff will be stored somewhere - but a lot just the backgrounds, not really much to be done

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!