Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not totally. Universal started just like DHS and was a studio.

Granted. But Universal appears to have been the first entity to develop a theme park focused on rides aimed at letting guests experience films attractions. Disneyland did include a few dark rides that went in that direction (Peter Pan's Flight, Snow White's Scary Adventures and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride) when it opened in 1955, but that sort of attraction wasn't the sole focus of the park. :artist:

Now that I've grieved over the closing....and moved on...can't wait to hear more details about the new ride. I'm sure it will be impossible to get FP's for it when it first opens!

Now that I've grieved over the closing....and moved on...can't wait to hear more details about the new ride. I'm sure it will be impossible to get FP's for it when it first opens!

Well, they are trying to get it to open in conjunction with the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, so hopefully it won't be *as* hard as you might think as my guess is they will put this and both Star Wars rides as Tier 1 FPs

J
Well, they are trying to get it to open in conjunction with the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, so hopefully it won't be *as* hard as you might think as my guess is they will put this and both Star Wars rides as Tier 1 FPs
I really am hoping it opens before SW:GE! I'd love to be able to ride it on our our next (and quite possibly last) trip and be there before the craziness of SW opening.

I would assume the FP will be tiered closer to how AK is done right now. I think you will see no tiers other than Star Wars. You can do any 3 non Star Wars rides or schedule 1 Star Wars ride and 2 of anything else. Slinky, Mickey and Minnie, TSMM, RnR, and ToT seems like plenty to spread the rest around.

I would assume the FP will be tiered closer to how AK is done right now. I think you will see no tiers other than Star Wars. You can do any 3 non Star Wars rides or schedule 1 Star Wars ride and 2 of anything else. Slinky, Mickey and Minnie, TSMM, RnR, and ToT seems like plenty to spread the rest around.

Actually, now that I think about it more I think you are right ... and to be honest, if you can get on one SW (or have 1 fast pass and one standby) and still get FP for say the new Mickey Ride and the Slinky Dog, that isn't terrible ... and will make FP for the other rides rather easy to get I would think and definitely "bonus" FP day of available

I really haven't followed anything Star Wars...so have no clue what's expected there. How many rides will be star wars themed?

I really haven't followed anything Star Wars...so have no clue what's expected there. How many rides will be star wars themed?
Two new rides - battlefront ride and Millenium Falcon ride. Star Tours will still be where it is as well.

Two new rides - battlefront ride and Millenium Falcon ride. Star Tours will still be where it is as well.

Just to add that while there will only be two full-on attractions, there will be a lot do "do" in the land itself as the CMs working there will be playing the role of inhabitants of the land and you can interact with them and droids that will be going around - some rumors of having things be interactable using the "force", etc. ... and they will store your progress on your magic bands so the characters will know if you are good or bad or what, how well you did in the attractions, etc. ....

... now, how well all that will word given the crowd levels remains to be seen - but the theory is for this to be much more than just two attractions in the standard sense

I just can't ever see Galaxies Edge being anything other than full and unbearable to do for years and years.

Harry Potter is smaller but it's spread out better. Galaxies edge will be a lot of people in just on area

I just can't ever see Galaxies Edge being anything other than full and unbearable to do for years and years.

Harry Potter is smaller but it's spread out better. Galaxies edge will be a lot of people in just on area
I've not been to Universal Orlando. In Universal Hollywood, the HP section is very condensed, and felt crowded all the time. Honestly, that's what I envision for SWGE, unfortunately... wish they had decided to go BIGGER right away.

Hogsmeade is spread out as far as room to move around. Diagon Alley however is not at all. While there are some cool alleys and areas you can explore it's easy to see when you are there how cramped that could be if enough people got in there. Also the entrances to Diagon Alley are not just open like Hogsmeade.

But I do agree with you in that I think Galaxy's Edge will be quite crowded for a long enough time.

I've not been to Universal Orlando. In Universal Hollywood, the HP section is very condensed, and felt crowded all the time. Honestly, that's what I envision for SWGE, unfortunately... wish they had decided to go BIGGER right away.

Universal Orlando is quite similar - that was one of JK Rowling's rules the Universal had to agree to follow. She was pretty insistent that it had to have the right feel down to the size of the area. They're just jammed full of people - particularly Diagon Alley, when we went in June it was literally like the entire street was wall to wall people. I've never seen anything like it - particularly when everyone is standing still waiting for the dragon to do it's thing. We learned quickly to do it first thing or towards the end of the day.

Universal Orlando is quite similar - that was one of JK Rowling's rules the Universal had to agree to follow. She was pretty insistent that it had to have the right feel down to the size of the area. They're just jammed full of people - particularly Diagon Alley, when we went in June it was literally like the entire street was wall to wall people. I've never seen anything like it - particularly when everyone is standing still waiting for the dragon to do it's thing. We learned quickly to do it first thing or towards the end of the day.
That’s exactly how I felt in may, I’m claustrophobic around crowds (don’t ask how I survive Disney because I ask myself all the time) and as soon as I got into diagon alley I noped back outside. It was too much for me. Hogsmede was the exact same when I visited a little over a month after it first opened but the crowds definitely dispersed over time as I visited a couple months after that and I remember laying down because it was that crowded! It was weird how diagon alley hadn’t had its crowds dispersed in the 3 years its been open

I guess I have to disagree...it's all about perspective...I thought it was awesome and didn't care at all about how crowded it was. I was so amazed at the whole place, I didn't even notice the crowd. So authentic! No complaints whatsoever!

I would think they will control crowds like they did for Pandora by closing it off and creating a line to get into the land. While waiting in line to enter would stink at least when you are in while I'm sure it will be crowded hopefully it won't be unbearable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!