Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm excited about this! I have very little nostalgia for most of the movies featured in the ride, and I've never enjoyed the script/acting. We completely skipped it when we went with my young son as he would understand it even less. A Mickey ride would likely be something the whole family could enjoy.

After the first time I experienced the GMR I have tried to see every single movie mentioned or shown in the ride. I am at about 85% now. To not have GMR to inspire me to do this would have been very sad. Dozens of great films.

They could devote a ride to the Disney Live Action films particularly since they are making more and more of them. Mickey should get a ride in MK.

It's my just turned 11 year-old daughter's favorite ride. She's probably ridden it a dozen times or more over the years, so it's not like it was a one time 'that's cool' moment. And, she may not have seen any of the featured movies other than the Wizard of Oz. It just connects with her. I would be very sad to see it go.

Honestly the state of this park, how can they even contemplate closing this until toy story land opens? Anyone have any insight? I mean this will essentially be down to a 3 ride park. And I know, there are other things to do aside from rides, but it's bare bones as it is, this would make it even more skeletal.

Honestly the state of this park, how can they even contemplate closing this until toy story land opens? Anyone have any insight? I mean this will essentially be down to a 3 ride park. And I know, there are other things to do aside from rides, but it's bare bones as it is, this would make it even more skeletal.

I brought this up earlier. It's just a matter of strategy. Write the park off now, essentially, so it all can be done by the time SWE opens, or limp the park along with one more ride but when the true crowds flood in when SWE opens, be one ride short. It's a devil's choice and it seems like Disney is leaning toward having everything open when the park is going to need the capacity. What little it suffers now, and it probably won't suffer any more from GMR being open or closed at this point, is better than to be down a ride when the expected massive crush happens in 2019.

I don't really agree, as I think Disney has a responsibility to people who pay a lot of money to go to the parks today, as well as in the future, to provide a quality experience, but you can easily see the other side.

I brought this up earlier. It's just a matter of strategy. Write the park off now, essentially, so it all can be done by the time SWE opens, or limp the park along with one more ride but when the true crowds flood in when SWE opens, be one ride short. It's a devil's choice and it seems like Disney is leaning toward having everything open when the park is going to need the capacity. What little it suffers now, and it probably won't suffer any more from GMR being open or closed at this point, is better than to be down a ride when the expected massive crush happens in 2019.

I don't really agree, as I think Disney has a responsibility to people who pay a lot of money to go to the parks today, as well as in the future, to provide a quality experience, but you can easily see the other side.
I don't know. GMR is a crowd swallower. If they close it before other rides are open I can see it having a negative queue effect on the fewvother rides left as well as the shows.

I don't know. GMR is a crowd swallower. If they close it before other rides are open I can see it having a negative queue effect on the fewvother rides left as well as the shows.

No doubt. But if they close it after SWE opens, or during the opening, when crowds are expected to be immense, what kind of effect would it have then? Like I said, it's a devil's choice.

If this happens, I'm done with HS. Mind you, we are huge Star Wars fans, and went to all 4 days of SW Celebration in Orlando as well as Galactic Nights, but feel that SW is taking over the park. The March of the First Order happens every hour and is loud and overwhelming and takes over the whole place. The loss of the Streets of NY is sad. And now, this, if it's true. It's not a place I'd take my Dad anymore, or a 4yo.

And hello, movies are the whole premise for the park! You may as well change the name of the park and scrap the theming altogether.

Walt's vision of DL (and WDW) was a park for all ages, with charming slower rides mixed with thrills (to quote shh on pg 1). He also wanted the visitor to feel as if she/he has stepped into a movie theater, right into the movie. The HS addition used to fulfill this vision brilliantly. It's sad what's happening to this park. My only hope is that all the SW stuff moves over to Star Wars Land altogether, after it opens.

If this happens, I'm done with HS. Mind you, we are huge Star Wars fans, and went to all 4 days of SW Celebration in Orlando as well as Galactic Nights, but feel that SW is taking over the park. The March of the First Order happens every hour and is loud and overwhelming and takes over the whole place. The loss of the Streets of NY is sad. And now, this, if it's true. It's not a place I'd take my Dad anymore, or a 4yo.

And hello, movies are the whole premise for the park! You may as well change the name of the park and scrap the theming altogether.

Walt's vision of DL (and WDW) was a park for all ages, with charming slower rides mixed with thrills (to quote shh on pg 1). He also wanted the visitor to feel as if she/he has stepped into a movie theater, right into the movie. The HS addition used to fulfill this vision brilliantly. It's sad what's happening to this park. My only hope is that all the SW stuff moves over to Star Wars Land altogether, after it opens.
Well....rumor is a new name would be happening...

I am a fan of TGMR but a lot of the movies they reference are a little dated. I could defiantly see the need to either replace or update.

I am however surprised they are thinking of closing TGMR before Toy Story Land opens. There is already not a lot to do at Hollywood as it is. Will it really be worth it to come to this park for a full day until construction is more done?

I am a fan of TGMR but a lot of the movies they reference are a little dated. I could defiantly see the need to either replace or update.

I am however surprised they are thinking of closing TGMR before Toy Story Land opens. There is already not a lot to do at Hollywood as it is. Will it really be worth it to come to this park for a full day until construction is more done?

Dated? LOL, They are classics. Just mix in some newer movies into the montage and call it a day.

I can't think of much that is outdated. Maybe Tarzan? The Footlight Parade needs to go quickly.

Alien could use a redo but there is a new Alien movie coming out. Dancing in the Rain, Casablanca, Mary Poppins, Raiders and Wizard of Oz are classics and to me classics are never outdated. The western bits and gangster portion, I'm more undecided on.

TGMR definitely needs redoing but not gutting and Disney characters. I don't understand why Disney is so ready to give up on concepts nowadays.

I can't think of much that is outdated. Maybe Tarzan? The Footlight Parade needs to go quickly.

Alien could use a redo but there is a new Alien movie coming out. Dancing in the Rain, Casablanca, Mary Poppins, Raiders and Wizard of Oz are classics and to me classics are never outdated. The western bits and gangster portion, I'm more undecided on.

TGMR definitely needs redoing but not gutting and Disney characters. I don't understand why Disney is so ready to give up on concepts nowadays.

I mean it more as in the younger generation does not know them as well as other movies that they can add. :) They don't have to take anything away ..just add something that maybe they would know :)

They should put like Mystic Manor or something like that in there. I feel like they could tweak the theming or make it work.

Like a track-less attraction through a magic movie theater run amuck. I could totally get behind this idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter