Groceries

barb45

DIS Veteran
This will be our first trip without a car. We are also using ME to get there. How does everyone get their groceries? Is it better to go through wegoshop or the DVC grocery list thing? I'm not sure really how these things work so any tips are really appreciated.

I LOVED

www.wegoshop.com

great people!!! they do best if you can say exactly what you want.

instead of just bread - wheat bread thin slides Publix brand

just go to the grocery store and write down everything on the brands you like.

I have a Publix near by - so it is easy for me. If you don't have a Publix in your area - then Walmart will work too.

they will shop where you tell them.

I love fresh products - fruits, vegetable, meats.

disney and I have had arugment of what they call fresh..... :blush:

just a forewarning if you haven't read the post "wegoshop never again" that many people like this service and there are many people who have complaints with this service. Make sure you do your homework about any company that you do business with.
My complaint.... they didn't give me or let me see the store receipt, they just give you their bill.

If I were to do this, and I really needed groceries, I would rent a car for the first day from either National or Alamo at the airport, do the shopping, return the car the next day to the Dolphin or Car Care Center, and use ME to go back to the airport.

I've rented cars for the day before, but not specifically for grocery shopping. I do it when I come in late and prefer not to wait for ME. They run around $20-40 as far as I can tell. Make sure you return it before the 24 hour period ends.

You could even take ME both ways and have Enterprise bring you a car to the resort to make your shopping run. Remember they will "pick you up."

If you wanted the conveinence of a car service, we always use Happy Limo and they will make a grocery stop on the way. It costs a little, but no waiting for the bus to fill or stops at other resorts before yours. Plus you choose when they pick you up for return instead of having ME get there hours earlier than you really needed.

Out of curiousity, I checked out WeGoShop's website. It seems to me that you could taxi to and from the grocery store of your choice (there are several within a mile or two of Disney), for less than WeGo's delivery charge. Does anyone have experience with the availability/cost of taxi service in the Disney area?

When at OKW during Columbus Day weekend, my mom and I did the Race for the Cure Central Florida at Animal Kindgom Sat morning. Due to problems with flights we didn't arrive early enough for packet pick up Friday AND there was no Disney transpo to this event so we took a taxi to get to it. Disney was running busses by the time it was over so we just hopped one back to the resort. Three busses pulled into the OKW parking spot before there was one that was actually headed back to the resort though. Glad we weren't on any type of timetable at that point.

OKW to Animal Kingdom parking lot- $16.00(plus tip). Puts the cost of the delivery fee into perspective, doesn't it?

How many groceries do you need?

We discovered that we could pack the basics - we don't cook in our room much - so the shelf stable stuff gets packed (you can ship it as well). For us thats cereal, laundry detergent, sugar, coffee, salt and pepper, cereal, snacks, peanut butter, etc.

When we arrive we stop at the resort shop and pay the resort prices to get milk, bread, half and half, cheese and eggs.

This won't work if you required non-shelf stable foods that aren't carried at the Disney shops.

xterratri said:
OKW to Animal Kingdom parking lot- $16.00(plus tip). Puts the cost of the delivery fee into perspective, doesn't it?

Yikes!!! :earseek: That's worse than Boston cab fare!

xterratri said:

That seems really high, but we have taken a cab from DTD to Premier Outlets and it has been about 25.00 with tip. Resort to resort I have never paid mor than 8.00 plus tip.

We usually don't have a vehicle when we visit WDW and have used FL Tours (a DIS sponsor) for most of our trips. They give you a 30 minute shopping stop too. Annmarie

A lot of people also seem to be happy with NetGrocer.

I'm going to give them a shot for our February trip. Their delivery fee is quite a bit less than WeGoShop's (atleast for a small order ~$50 that I will be submitting) and I really like the fact that you see EXACTLY what you're getting and know exactly how much you're paying, right on their site.

Some will argue freshness and that's fine, but i'm not buying any really perishable items. I suppose that's a good thing, because they don't sell them. (Fruit, eggs, etc). I have no way of knowing, but I'd take a guess that the products in their warehouse don't sit around much, if any longer than the warehouse for our local grocery chain or WalMart's.

I'll pickup my milk at the resort (and hopefully they have eggs at the resort too).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter