Grrr! Squirrels are back in our attic

asta

DIS Veteran
We seem to have an unending battle with squirrels. My daughters had started complaining again about noise in the attic above their bedrooms so I had a wildlife removal company check things out. The squirrels had chewed three different holes in the soffits right below the shingles. So now I am spending $500 to repair the holes and try to catch these rats with bushy tales. A few years ago we ended up spending over a thousand in roof repairs where they had chewed through the roof.

PSA: Please do not catch and release these animals. We live near a big park and I have heard people talk about releasing animals there. You are just giving someone else a bigger headache with an animal that now knows to avoid traps.

Get a big snake.

Seriously, squirrels did app $2000 in damage to our house. One day, DH was outside and saw a gigantic rat snake making it's way from the roof into the attic. Never saw or heard another squirrel up there again.

Get a big snake.

Seriously, squirrels did app $2000 in damage to our house. One day, DH was outside and saw a gigantic rat snake making it's way from the roof into the attic. Never saw or heard another squirrel up there again.

Seriously? And what happened to the snake, or has no one ever gone up into the attic to find out? That would be the last thing I would want to find making it's way down from the attic into our living space. Snakes creep me out, as did this post! :scared:

Seriously? And what happened to the snake, or has no one ever gone up into the attic to find out? That would be the last thing I would want to find making it's way down from the attic into our living space. Snakes creep me out, as did this post! :scared:

We had pest control come to get it out, they looked and never did find it. I guess it left on it's own. We did put up a patch over the hole it used once we determined it was gone.

I don't mind snakes, they keep the rodent population down. DH hates them. He was packing to go to a motel when I came home that afternoon. It took some convincing that a. rat snakes are harmless, and b. there was really no way it could have gotten into the house from the attic crawl space.

Either way, we lived in that house another 10 years and not so much as a single squirrel ever went back in that crawl space or even tried. Prior to that they managed to get through every single patch we put over the holes.

We had squirrels. They entered through a hole left by the builders when the house was first built. The squirrels started chewing through the wiring causing electrical problems in the house.

We had to have them trapped to get them gone. We went on vacation while the traps were out and the company said they would remove the traps while we were gone since we would not be there to let them know if anything had been caught.

We got back a week later and a baby squirrel was in one trap and four adult sized squirrels were in the others. All frozen. Not sure if they had been there for 1 or 7 days. The company had not removed the traps in our absence.

After that we got the holes fixed and never had a problem again.

Good luck!

Get a big snake.

I am tempted but I think I hate snakes more. Based on the amount of damage they have caused I think the squirrels deserve to get eaten by a snake.

We just paid over $2000 to have squirrels trapped, and all entryways sealed up in our house attic, and over at the garage. The irony, our minor league baseball team's mascot is a flying squirrel. Will never buy another tshirt or hat again!!

We too have squirrels that have gotten into the attic. They run along a section that is in our oldest DDs room. She informs us each time our "friends" have returned. They apparently haven't gotten the message that they are not allowed over. This summer we need to replace siding so we're hoping that this takes care of the issue.

We too have squirrels that have gotten into the attic. They run along a section that is in our oldest DDs room. She informs us each time our "friends" have returned. They apparently haven't gotten the message that they are not allowed over. This summer we need to replace siding so we're hoping that this takes care of the issue.

You live near me if I recall, and the one nice thing about the heat here is that the Squirrels will move out once it gets too hot in the attic (and it will). That's the best time to seal up the holes. One trick that worked for me, was once I sealed up the holes, I sprayed the eaves with fox urine - well, it's like an extract. You can't really smell it, but they sure can. It worked very well for me and I haven't had any of the little guys back.

You live near me if I recall, and the one nice thing about the heat here is that the Squirrels will move out once it gets too hot in the attic (and it will). That's the best time to seal up the holes. One trick that worked for me, was once I sealed up the holes, I sprayed the eaves with fox urine - well, it's like an extract. You can't really smell it, but they sure can. It worked very well for me and I haven't had any of the little guys back.

LOL, I just posted a link for fox urine and then saw your post.

Running an Ozone Generator occasionally in your Attic will drive out Squirrels.
Just don't run one while you (or any pets) are in the house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter