Guarantee Status vs. IGT/OGT/VGT

"GTY" is what happens when a certain percentage of rooms within a specific category have been booked. You can book the category (example 4A, or 9C, etc) but DCL will assign you a room within your category or higher later. The cost for this guarantee booking is the same as if you booked a specific room.

So the benefit to doing this would be taking the gamble that you might be upgraded?

Also, I'm assuming that if we book a room that sleeps 3-4, yet have 4 people on our reservation we won't be put in a room that only sleeps 3? Not that I'm above flipping a coin to see who gets to sleep on the floor, but I'm betting my kids would be.

So the benefit to doing this would be taking the gamble that you might be upgraded?

Also, I'm assuming that if we book a room that sleeps 3-4, yet have 4 people on our reservation we won't be put in a room that only sleeps 3? Not that I'm above flipping a coin to see who gets to sleep on the floor, but I'm betting my kids would be.

Correct. If people don't care where their cabin is located, it's a (sometimes - but not always) less expensive way to *maybe* get an upgrade. Most of the time - contrary to what we see on here - people get exactly the category they booked. But sometimes not. (Also what Disney considers an upgrade may well not be one to you - I like higher decks, but the one time I booked a GTY in my preferred category (because I messed around switching to the point I lost the cabin I really wanted) they put me in a Deck 5 verandah. Yes, one of the extended ones people go gaga over...but to me it was too low and too midship. The cruise was great, but I'd never book GTY again unless it was for a higher category than those cabins.)

And yes. If you have 4 people, they should not put you in a cabin that only sleeps 3.

On the original post in this thread is says you have to pay in full when booking a GTY stateroom. Is this still the case? We are potentially booking one for january and I need to know if its still the case cause it would change our booking.

On the original post in this thread is says you have to pay in full when booking a GTY stateroom. Is this still the case? We are potentially booking one for january and I need to know if its still the case cause it would change our booking.

For a GTY rate, no.

For a *GT rate, yes.

So this is what our reservation is saying:

Stateroom GTY
Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah
Category: 05E
Deck: To Be Assigned

We sail 1/27/18 on the Fantasy. Any idea when we should expect to find out our cabin #?

Thank you much,
Brad

Stateroom GTY

We sail 1/27/18 on the Fantasy. Any idea when we should expect to find out our cabin #?

Thank you much,
Brad

Stateroom GTY

Thank you much,
Brad
GTY bookings typically are assigned around 45-60 days out. But any guarantee booking can be assigned at any time between original booking date all the way up to (and including) embarkation day.

In everyone's experience, are *GT same or better than opening day prices? Or is it dependent on other factors?

In everyone's experience, are *GT same or better than opening day prices? Or is it dependent on other factors?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. And there is never a guarantee that they will be offered. So if you want a specific cruise on a specific date, it's best to book at a price you are comfortable with and leave it be - that is how I do it anyway. I'd rather not delay if I want something on the off chance that it goes to a *GT status at maybe a lower price.

I am new to cruising but a Disney vet going to the parks for years. I love the thread and learned more about how rooms are picked and prices are set. I am going 12/1/2018 on the Fantasy. I am handicap and already have a room set, if I am correct.

Stateroom: 6088
category: 04D
Deck: 6

Does this mean that I have my room set or am I going to possibly be changing rooms?
Thank you.

I am new to cruising but a Disney vet going to the parks for years. I love the thread and learned more about how rooms are picked and prices are set. I am going 12/1/2018 on the Fantasy. I am handicap and already have a room set, if I am correct.

Does this mean that I have my room set or am I going to possibly be changing rooms?
Thank you.
It doesn't look like you booked GTY? Looks like you booked a Cat04 room. Did your original booking say something else? I would be surprised if you booked a GTY this far from your cruise date. Is that December 2018?

I booked two IGT cabins a couple months ago for the 9/30/17 sailing on Fantasy. Cabin assignments were made today around midday, 10 days out from cruising. We got 2511 and 2517. Both category 11C standard inside cabins, so no surprise upgrades. However, I'm most happy that the cabins are so close to each other--just 3 doors apart. I much rather would have wanted the cabins to be this close versus an upgrade. I've read reviews for both cabins and I think we will be very happy with the quiet location in the forward part of the ship. Overall, quite satisfied and happy with the deal we got.

We're cruising on October 21st and are still waiting for our GTY!
Stateroom GTY
Guaranteed Verandah Stateroom with Restrictions
Category: VGT

We're cruising on October 21st and are still waiting for our GTY!
Stateroom GTY
Guaranteed Verandah Stateroom with Restrictions
Category: VGT
It might be another 2-3 weeks based on my experience.

Thank you.
When you made your reservation you selected a specific room. In all probability, you'll remain in that room. Especially if you've selected an accessible room.

That said, there's always the possibility that DCL could change your room, if something is wrong with your room, or if the room is needed for some other reason/person.

If you did not get an upgrade, which is fine and expected, from a guaranteed state room - would it be a likely option to request to purchase an upgraded room when at port? Looking right now to pay for an upgrade to a Verandah for my cruise would bring me up to 5900 for the four of us which is pretty steep when it was closer to 5200 when I booked. So definitely having some regret but was hoping if presented the option at the port I might be able to pay and get a Verandah room under that price. Anyone know how likely this is?

We are traveling on our 1 year olds birthday and our oldest will be almost 3. So the closer we get to the cruise the more we realize it would be nice to not have the same bedtime as them as we could escape to the Balcony.

Possible, but no guarantee. All 4 Disney cruises I've been on the "Captain Mickey says no upgrades are available" sign has been out.

If you're going to be bummed to not be in that cabin and it will make your cruise miserable, book it now and just deal with the price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!