Guaranteed Departure / Booking Flights

riot23

Earning My Ears
Hi all!

I'm booked on the Germany ABD next summer (July 27-Aug 4). I'm in the final stages of planning all the other stops on our trip to Europe. I know ABD doesn't typically guarantee departures very early, if at all. But I'm wondering if anyone has any inkling of when we would know if our departure is going ahead. I'm trying to make a contingency plan with another departure should ours be cancelled, but I'm a bit hesitant to book flights. I have both long haul and short hauls to book and would be slammed by change fees should ABD cancel our departure. Am I needlessly worrying? I know trip insurance is a possibility, but I'm not sold on it just yet. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

I have never had an ABD trip cancelled on me, even when as few as 12 people comprised the entire tour group. Now that doesn't mean that that's always the case, but I generally book with ABD feeling confident that the trip will go unless there are circumstances beyond their control.

Having said that, I have read from other posters here where ABD somehow helped or assisted or covered the change fees for airfare. I cannot guarantee that they do that, but if you search through the forum there are other threads on this topic.

You can always call ABD and ask them if this trip is confirmed yet. But I think the Germany trip is fairly popular. It should be a safe bet.

Just curious - what are your concerns about trip insurance?

I have no first-hand experience, but I did read the terms and conditions before booking my first ABD. I am comfortable that Disney will assist me in re-booking my flight -- including paying reasonable change fees -- if they cancel the trip due to inadequate bookings. (But I did also call before booking my airfare and they were able to confirm that there were 17 people booked on our trip so far).

Our first ABD was the weekend in San Francisco, two years ago. They called about 2 months before our trip to say that the trip we were scheduled on had been cancelled due to low numbers and offered us several other weekend options. We were able to move it and they did say they would cover any cost for changes in the airfare. We were on Southwest so it was not a problem but they did follow up and check with us to see about reimbursing any costs that the airfare change had caused.

Thanks!

Regarding trip insurance, I’m covered for medical through work and have a significant number of days pre and post ABD. We were quoted over $1000 for insurance through ABD and it would only cover that portion of our trip to Europe and give some coverage we don't really need.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll contact my TA and see how many are currently booked on our departure. Hopefully, that'll ease my mind and I can finally books flights!

Dear OP

I understand your hesitation to spend that much on trip insurance. I always purchase trip insurance and have never purchased it through ABD. I've also never paid anywhere close to that amount for trip insurance.

Good luck with your trip!

I would just want to tell you what happened to me (us). We were suppose to do Italy with ABD around Easter a few years ago. Within a six weeks from departure we were told the trip was cancelled even though the number was over 30 people. We had made the airfare on our own for we had better rates. ABD said they would not pay for any change fees associated with the cancelation. ABD said we should have "known the risks" and no help from them. So we were stuck with $600.00 change fee along with a mad scramble to find another trip that fit in the week we already scheduled. There was no way we could take any other week off that year so we were "screwed". Luckily we found another trip from another vendor but it cost us $600.00. Be very careful when you book flights outside ABD.

Carpenta, if you haven't, you should write to ABD and demand that they reimburse you. ABD's terms and conditions state the following: "If we cancel your trip prior to its commencement because there are too few Guests: . . . and (iii) if you did not book airfare through us, we will reimburse you for your reasonable out-of-pocket (subject to proof) airline cancellation charges or, in the case of bookings using frequent flier miles, a reasonable cancellation service fee, provided you have exercised best efforts to mitigate such charges/fees; and (iv) the aforesaid payments and/or rebooking by us shall constitute a full settlement."

ABD's position that you "knew the risks" is contrary to the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up for the trip. (We can quibble over the effect of the "too few Guests" language, but I think a reasonable person would have read the terms and concluded that if ABD cancelled their trip, their flight change fees would be covered by ABD). In your position, I would be sending a strongly worded demand letter along with proof of the change fee.

Jess S I have done that "dance" over and over and was shut down every time. The tour was cancelled not because of "too few guests" in fact there was over thirty guests and ABD used the fact ( I assume) not to reimburse my charges. I agree that a reasonable person would read the contract that way but sometimes you deal with unreasonable people who don't budge. Anyways we travel mostly with Tauck Family and it all turned out for the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter