Guardians to replace UoE and Ratatouille coming to Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Height restrictions do NOT a thrill ride make.

Orange Mission space is the only one on that list that I think qualifies. Maybe Test Track as well, but thats a soft thrill ride at best.

I am a parent as well, but I am also someone who likes thrill rides. I have also watched many of my friends and their families "age out" of Disney in favour of Universal because their teenage kids think the rides at Disney are too lame. There is no reason Disney couldn't do a better job of providing more Thrill rides. They have both the money and the space.

I don't disagree with that and am excited for this new attraction. I get what you are saying about them needing some more thrill rides .... I just don't want them to go too far the other way were to many things have height restrictions (be it a thrill ride or not)

I don't disagree with that and am excited for this new attraction. I get what you are saying about them needing some more thrill rides .... I just don't want them to go too far the other way were to many things have height restrictions (be it a thrill ride or not)

Its also fair to say Disney's most recent project included what I believe is the best thrill ride in Orlando ... FoP ! :) But, it unfortunately (IMO) also included Na'Vi River, which could be great, but is far too short and lacks substance in many ways :(

Its also fair to say Disney's most recent project included what I believe is the best thrill ride in Orlando ... FoP ! :) But, it unfortunately (IMO) also included Na'Vi River, which could be great, but is far too short and lacks substance in many ways :(

I definitely liked the river journey more than most people. It definitely is too short but I loved all the details in there and in some ways wish the boats traveled slower so you had more time to take it all in and the Shaman animatronic is amazing.

I also understood the storyline so maybe that is why I was more into it ... if it was like double the length I think it would be a really solid attraction

I definitely liked the river journey more than most people. It definitely is too short but I loved all the details in there and in some ways wish the boats traveled slower so you had more time to take it all in and the Shaman animatronic is amazing.

I also understood the storyline so maybe that is why I was more into it ... if it was like double the length I think it would be a really solid attraction

It's plausible that as initial interest dies down they may slow down boat speed. I would have to imagine it'd impart less wear and tear on the ride.

I am a full on Avatar fan, so I got the story line as well, and I agree with Animatronic is incredible. But interestingly I don't think slowing it down would help, I'd think it would make it work. We were luck enough to have 2 preview appointments in may (One as AP holders, the other as DVC members) and we rode Na'vi several times. What I found is that it got worse every time. The first time I will admit the colours and the animatronic and the screened in characters (the Na'vi walking, the big cat things) were really impressive, but as we repeated our trips I noticed how 2 dimensional they screened characters were, and the fact that they were on short loop repeats. I really started at some specific pieces of the glowing fauna and, this is my honest view of it, realized it didn't look all that different than the black light props I remember being created in highschool, like really, if you stare at them, you will see there actually isn't a lot of detail in many of them. And then we looked at the section where the silhouettes along with the feet are cast on the leaves above you, and again, if you really just stare at them, it kind of looked cheap, not some marvel of imagineering at all, but like a little set of feet / body on an arm attached to a small machine that moves them in a predictable pattern.

The shaman, still blew my mind every single ride, its amazing. One of the coolest things I have seen, ever. But as for the rest of it, just doesn't impress me. Maybe its because it was so hyped I was really expecting a lot, or maybe its because I wanted it to be something so awesome and detailed and immersive ... or maybe it just doesn't work for me :) Either way, Na'vi for me is only a little better than the hall of presidents, its neat and stuff, but its mostly a place to cool down if its hot out, and isn't really worth much of a wait.

I am a full on Avatar fan, so I got the story line as well, and I agree with Animatronic is incredible. But interestingly I don't think slowing it down would help, I'd think it would make it work. We were luck enough to have 2 preview appointments in may (One as AP holders, the other as DVC members) and we rode Na'vi several times. What I found is that it got worse every time. The first time I will admit the colours and the animatronic and the screened in characters (the Na'vi walking, the big cat things) were really impressive, but as we repeated our trips I noticed how 2 dimensional they screened characters were, and the fact that they were on short loop repeats. I really started at some specific pieces of the glowing fauna and, this is my honest view of it, realized it didn't look all that different than the black light props I remember being created in highschool, like really, if you stare at them, you will see there actually isn't a lot of detail in many of them. And then we looked at the section where the silhouettes along with the feet are cast on the leaves above you, and again, if you really just stare at them, it kind of looked cheap, not some marvel of imagineering at all, but like a little set of feet / body on an arm attached to a small machine that moves them in a predictable pattern.

The shaman, still blew my mind every single ride, its amazing. One of the coolest things I have seen, ever. But as for the rest of it, just doesn't impress me. Maybe its because it was so hyped I was really expecting a lot, or maybe its because I wanted it to be something so awesome and detailed and immersive ... or maybe it just doesn't work for me :) Either way, Na'vi for me is only a little better than the hall of presidents, its neat and stuff, but its mostly a place to cool down if its hot out, and isn't really worth much of a wait.

Thanks for your take on it - I did only ride it once and so perhaps I got the impression there is more to see than their really is. It's a shame it isn't more than it is as it could be a really neat attractions

Thanks for your take on it - I did only ride it once and so perhaps I got the impression there is more to see than their really is. It's a shame it isn't more than it is as it could be a really neat attractions

I mean, of course you may love it and that's awesome too :) Nothing wrong with that :)

I wouldn’t go as far as you did in my criticism of it, but it’s defi not something I’d wait a long time for

Height restrictions do NOT a thrill ride make.

Orange Mission space is the only one on that list that I think qualifies. Maybe Test Track as well, but thats a soft thrill ride at best.

I am a parent as well, but I am also someone who likes thrill rides. I have also watched many of my friends and their families "age out" of Disney in favour of Universal because their teenage kids think the rides at Disney are too lame. There is no reason Disney couldn't do a better job of providing more Thrill rides. They have both the money and the space.
Yeah, but there are families like mine where both the adults get motion sick easily (although I'm way worse) and our kid is so far, not a thrill ride fan. I personally love Disney because there's so much stuff I can do without getting sick. Most theme parks like Six Flags type are an absolute waste of money for me.

Yeah, but there are families like mine where both the adults get motion sick easily (although I'm way worse) and our kid is so far, not a thrill ride fan. I personally love Disney because there's so much stuff I can do without getting sick. Most theme parks like Six Flags type are an absolute waste of money for me.

Totally fair but, as you said, there is ALREADY "so much" for you to do. What's not there? Thrill rides. So for folks who want want or need a little more of that element, there isn't a lot for them to do. Therefore, what is needed to attract a broader crowd, and offer more for everyone to do ... is thrill rides.

Totally fair but, as you said, there is ALREADY "so much" for you to do. What's not there? Thrill rides. So for folks who want want or need a little more of that element, there isn't a lot for them to do. Therefore, what is needed to attract a broader crowd, and offer more for everyone to do ... is thrill rides.
I agree with this. DH and I could really use a couple more thrill rides from Disney. I’ve read too many reviews lately from people saying they will go to universal instead because of the lack of thrill rides at Disney.

T
I know it’s buzzfeed but for the first time in my life one of these clickbait theories has legitimate substance in it:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/fanalopez/honestly-im-rattled?utm_term=.qeeaQLMMnL#.qeeaQLMMnL
With this being said I guess there is demand in the general public for this to happen. I always assumed Ratatouille was all but remembered in America.
That's pretty cool-- and I am in no way knowledgeable on the subject of computer animation-- but wouldn't they have a file titled "things found in an old french cottage" to chose from when making the set? instead of writing all new props? Still cool though. just a thought.

T

That's pretty cool-- and I am in no way knowledgeable on the subject of computer animation-- but wouldn't they have a file titled "things found in an old french cottage" to chose from when making the set? instead of writing all new props? Still cool though. just a thought.
Well technology had advanced to that point where they could’ve made an entirely different room at little to no cost to Pixar (unlike the Andy’s dad theory where in reality another human would’ve cost too much and the human animation was horrible at the time but sure drive the divorce). The positioning of the objects really helps but it’s still a theory

Sort of. While technology has progressed, each 3d asset is still modeled by an artist which takes time (and thus money). It's more efficient just to reuse assets.
But you're right, the convincing part of the theory is definitely the placement of the objects.

Actually the placement of objects disproves the theory. Things are in different places. Like in the old ladys house the stove is inbetween cabinet sets, but int he flashback there is nothing on the left side of the cabinets, and the stove looks to be closer to the wall. The stove pipe also curves back up in the old lady's house but goes straight into the wall in the flashback. The sink in the old lady's home is centered with a window with more counterspace and shelving to the left of it, but the flashback it is offcenter of a window and tot he left of it is teh wall with the stove on it.
It seems more like a matter of tehm jsut reusing some models for a different kitchen

I do hope for bigger thrills than 7DMT but you can have both family friendly and thrilling together. I'd consider Mummy and Gringotts to be family friendly and they are both thrilling rides as well. Gringotts is very well themed too and hoping to get something similar to it with this new GotG ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!