Guess who has the best selling jersey in the NFL as of today

Status
Not open for further replies.
21768439_10155618127570833_5868358442977570864_n.jpg

Dang, that's a blast from the past.

He apologized to his team. His plan was never to be out there by himself, but apparently once he found himself outside the tunnel he thought it would look awkward to leave.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-national-anthem-protest/stories/201709250175

Alejandro Villanueva said he never intended to stand alone during the national anthem on Sunday and apologized to his teammates and coach Mike Tomlin for what he called “a very embarrassing” botching of the team’s pregame plan.

“Every single time I see that picture of me standing by myself, I feel embarrassed,” Villanueva said.

“We butchered our plan.”

Continually, Villanueva apologized to the rest of the team.

“I made coach Tomlin look bad, and that is my fault and my fault only,” he said. “I made my teammates look bad, and that is my fault and my fault only.

“When everybody sees an image of me standing by myself, everybody thinks that the team and Steelers are not behind me, and that’s absolutely wrong. It’s quite the opposite. Actually, the entire team would’ve been out there with me, even the ones that wanted to take a knee.”​

I wonder if any jerseys will be returned.

He's a patriot but I wouldn't give ANY professional sports organization a penny.

Agreed most of the professional sports organizations are blood sucking leaches. Why on earth cities give them money is beyond me. They shouldn't get one cent of public tax dollars.

He apologized to his team. His plan was never to be out there by himself, but apparently once he found himself outside the tunnel he thought it would look awkward to leave.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-national-anthem-protest/stories/201709250175

Alejandro Villanueva said he never intended to stand alone during the national anthem on Sunday and apologized to his teammates and coach Mike Tomlin for what he called “a very embarrassing” botching of the team’s pregame plan.

“Every single time I see that picture of me standing by myself, I feel embarrassed,” Villanueva said.

“We butchered our plan.”

“I made coach Tomlin look bad, and that is my fault and my fault only,” he said. “I made my teammates look bad, and that is my fault and my fault only.

“When everybody sees an image of me standing by myself, everybody thinks that the team and Steelers are not behind me, and that’s absolutely wrong. It’s quite the opposite. Actually, the entire team would’ve been out there with me, even the ones that wanted to take a knee.”​
Well, that's awkward.

I am stunned that a wholly politcal thread about a highly charged issue has been allowed to run for five pages.

I will not post my opnion of any of this here, becuase I do try to repesct that rule (ambiguous as it can be), and this is clearly (IMO) far over the line even if the mods have chosen to ignore and allow it for some odd reason. Too bad, I have some lovely rants about it on facebook that could be so easily copied and pasted :rolleyes1

I will say this; it's the most I've paid attention to anything about that sport in well over a decade---American football is so not my thing:rotfl:

I'm also wondering... how many jerseys normally get sold during week 3 of the season? I would guess most supporters already have theirs. Assuming it's a low number, having the "best selling" might not be a very high bar to reach.

How many people saw the game last night? There was a very loud chorus of booing from the crowd when the Cowboys took a knee before the anthem was sung, but then stood during it. Wonder how much of it was because they were the Cowboys (and I think we can all agree the Cowboys should be booed every game, every play :P) and how much of it was because of what they were doing.

Personally, I love the NFL and hate this other stuff that's going with it. Yes, I fully respect the players have the right to protest and I wouldn't say they shouldn't. But when I turn it on, I want to see football, not protests.

Nope not stirring but him supporting Trump might be. How is this not a political thread? Guess it depends on which view you support.
This wasn't a dig at you, I just honestly couldn't find the perfect emoji for this. But this whole thread seems to be a stirring pot.

This wasn't a dig at you, I just honestly couldn't find the perfect emoji for this. But this whole thread seems to be a stirring pot.

Yeah, of course it's supposed to be a way to talk about a political topic, well really for the op to make a statement about a political topic. This player has very clearly stated that he supports his teammates who chose to kneel. People that disagree with the kneeling are holding up this player as some shining example of what is correct. They aren't listening to his words though. He doesn't agree with the message that all should have to stand.

Yeah, of course it's supposed to be a way to talk about a political topic, well really for the op to make a statement about a political topic. This player has very clearly stated that he supports his teammates who chose to kneel. People that disagree with the kneeling are holding up this player as some shining example of what is correct. They aren't listening to his words though. He doesn't agree with the message that all should have to stand.

But conversely shouldn't he be allowed to stand if HE wants to. I actually feel sorry for Captain Villanueva. His civilian boss and co-workers tried to put him in the position where he was not allowed to stand and honor the flag and the anthem as he was trained, and as he believes. I'm pretty sure he got a world of grief from his coach and teammates for what was just his natural reaction. He's a combat veteran with the Bronze Star for Valor and saw his REAL teammates give the ultimate sacrifice. I'm also a military veteran, and I honestly don't care what individual NFL players do or say, just like other celebrities. But if my civilian boss and co-workers told me to ignore the anthem, I would politely tell them to pound sand.

But conversely shouldn't he be allowed to stand if HE wants to. I actually feel sorry for Captain Villanueva. His civilian boss and co-workers tried to put him in the position where he was not allowed to stand and honor the flag and the anthem as he was trained, and as he believes. I'm pretty sure he got a world of grief from his coach and teammates for what was just his natural reaction. He's a combat veteran with the Bronze Star for Valor and saw his REAL teammates give the ultimate sacrifice. I'm also a military veteran, and I honestly don't care what individual NFL players do or say, just like other celebrities. But if my civilian boss and co-workers told me to ignore the anthem, I would politely tell them to pound sand.
But he didn't go to the end of the tunnel with the intention of standing for the anthem. He went out to get a peek at the crowds and the flag and got caught standing there. He wanted to return to the locker room, but couldn't figure out a way to do that without it being completely awkward. He had NO intention of being out there to stand for the anthem,

Most of the military veterans I know say the constitutional rights and freedoms of this country are what they fought and died for. So all them I know have no problem with the kneeling because it is one of the rights they fought for. We may not like the kneeling, but the alternative of being forced to stand is not what they fought for.

The Cowboys, as much as I dislike the rival team, found a sort of decent way to support both sides.

Where did I say he shouldn't be allowed to stand if he wanted to?
It sounds like you're just making up a new situation and trying to do a lot of spin because what he has said isn't the story some people want it to be.

I would suggest not making assumptions.

“We butchered our plan.”

The reason I created this thread was to start a conversation about the kneeling as it had not been discussed here, and to bring more credence to this great demonstration and my support for it.

The reason I created this thread was to start a conversation about the kneeling as it had not been discussed here, and to bring more credence to this great demonstration and my support for it.

But it wasn't a demonstration. He made the best of a situation of which he had no intention being involved...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!