Guest experiences with daily room checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading some crazy stories about CM's coming in at all hours, we were prepared for it. However when we stayed in a deluxe villa at the Polynesian in February we were pleasantly surprised. Not only were we never infringed upon, one day they didn't even come to empty the trash! Hopefully we will have the same results (minus the lack of trash emptying) on our next visit!

We just got back from a stay at All Star Movies- we opted out of housekeeping this visit & we had visits but no one came while we were in the room. When we returned from the parks- we noticed our light was on so I'm thinking that was a signal showing the room was already checked. No issues at all : )

We are just back from 6 nights at the Yacht Club. Housekeeping must have come in mid morning every day as we were not disturbed at all and our room was serviced when we returned in the afternoon. We were not bothered at all. On the day we checked out a young man, who appeared to work for housekeeping knocked at about 10:00 and we told him we were just getting ready to leave the room and he said he would come back later. All in all it was another great stay at the Yacht Club.

My sister and I just returned from a week at OKW on rented points. We did not have a DND or Room Occupied sign in our room.

We aren't early risers so we weren't typically out of the room until 10:30-11 every day. We were only in the room once when housekeeping came by (it was the day after DAH so we were in the room a bit later) but we told them we'd be out by 12:30 so she said she'd wait and return after that time.

All in all, we had absolutely no issues with the new policy.

Last edited:
During my most recent stay at All Star Movies I experienced this new policy first hand. A minute before I was about to head out to AK around 5pm, there was a knock at the door. A cast member (didn’t seem like a member of housekeeping) said he needed to do a room check and that it would only take a minute of my time. He took two steps in, looked around for a second and then told me to have a nice day and left. Easy enough!

When the policy was first introduced, I didn’t have a problem with it. However, my first thought after the check in was that if I hadn’t known about the new policy, I would have been totally freaked out that my room was being "inspected". The cast member never said what the room check was for (I didn’t question it as I already knew to expect it) and was weirdly nonchalant about the whole thing. For someone completely oblivious to the new policy, I can see how it might be unnerving, especially when its happening randomly at 5pm!

Just back from POFQ. We opted for normal housekeeping and never had a problem, they came one while we were still in the room, told them we were still getting ready adn they came back later while we were gone. No other time did we see them. Traveling companion in another room opted out of housekeeping and they got repeated knocks daily at 8am. They did not have a room occupied sign, so starting using ours.

I was at POFQ the first week of Feb. We were pretty much at the parks all day so never disturbed by knocks on the door.

When we got back to our room after one of our park days, someone had left a card and a small jigsaw puzzle of the resort on our dresser- the card was from the manager of POFQ thanking us for our repeat stay there and giving us the puzzle as a thank you gift.

I had opted for no housekeeping but had asked for some extra towels and toiletries to last our week long stay. While we were out someone had left us a huge bag of towels and toiletries .

The funny thing was that our small trash can was totally full, and the overflow trash was in a bag next to the trash can. No one ever emptied the trash during any of their entries into our room.

One day the housekeeper was right outside of our room as she was doing up the other rooms near us. I asked her if she could empty our trash. She said she was not allowed to enter our room because we had opted for no housekeeping!!!
I was a little taken aback by this, she must have seen the look on my face, because then she said if I brought all the trash out to the walkway outside of my room, she would take it from me!

I thought this was kind of funny especially after reading so many accounts of security entering rooms on the pretext of emptying the trash!!!

Just back from 7 nights (March 4-11) at SSR. Staying as a WDW resort guest (not on points or rented points), so we had housekeeping. We put the RO sign on the door at night and removed it when we left for the parks in the morning, sometimes the late morning. No one ever bothered us. The room was always made up when we came back from the parks, even on days when we came back early. Perhaps we were lucky and our schedule matched the housekeeping schedule, but the security-check thing was a nonissue for us, I'm happy to report.

Dvc...back from week at BWV. Nobody ever came while we were there but we noticed someone had been in the room, trash removed, daily. We also kept bar latched when in room and the hanger out on the doorknob and nobody ever tried to come in.

We were at AKL CL, BC, and VGF over the past ten days. All booked on DVC points. At AKL, we had daily housekeeping attached to the CL booking, so I can’t comment on any differences. At BCV, they did come in once to empty the trash. At VGF, we stayed for three nights and nobody emptied the trash on any of those days, so I’m not sure whether they entered to check the room at all. We did not have the sign up at any point for any of the three resorts.

Last week at BWV, I had been out of the room from about 7 am until 2:30 pm. When I got back to the room, housekeeping had not been there yet. I put my sign on the door and laid down to take a nice afternoon nap. Not a half-hour later, housekeeping knocked on the door and insisted on doing the room inspection.

Without a doubt, this policy inconveniences guests greatly in exchange for the infinitesimally small chance that these "inspections" will ever find anything untoward!

We are at Copper Creek, the second night of a 7 night stay on our DVC points. There should not have been housekeepIng, trash service, or new linens for another 2 days. While we were away today, security or somebody came in and left us a Sharp’s biohazard container on our bathroom counter. But they also moved our container of used needles.

Both my husband and I are diabetic and have traveled for years with needles. We use a clear, plastic container with a tight lid and put it up and away, but not necessarily in plain sight because we have children with us. We are extremely safe about it and don’t take any risks. We use caution to keep them out of reach from the littles ones.

When we returned today, the new Sharps container was on the bathroom counter and our original needle container was sitting beside it....... well within reach of the children. We found it before the kids did so no harm was done but I feel safe in surmising 2 things:
1. Someone was looking closely in our room and
2. Someone moved our needles away from our selected safe place without our permission.

I had a cordial conversation with a guest service CM that I understand security will be in our room but to please not move the needles again. I did not make a big stink about it and don’t plan to say anything else but I asked that the message be passed on that items should not be moved.

I’m guessing that whoever did it was extending a kind gesture to leave us the Biohazard container. That was a nice thing to do and I hope that is the end of it.

We are at Copper Creek, the second night of a 7 night stay on our DVC points. There should not have been housekeepIng, trash service, or new linens for another 2 days. While we were away today, security or somebody came in and left us a Sharp’s biohazard container on our bathroom counter. But they also moved our container of used needles.

Both my husband and I are diabetic and have traveled for years with needles. We use a clear, plastic container with a tight lid and put it up and away, but not necessarily in plain sight because we have children with us. We are extremely safe about it and don’t take any risks. We use caution to keep them out of reach from the littles ones.

When we returned today, the new Sharps container was on the bathroom counter and our original needle container was sitting beside it....... well within reach of the children. We found it before the kids did so no harm was done but I feel safe in surmising 2 things:
1. Someone was looking closely in our room and
2. Someone moved our needles away from our selected safe place without our permission.

I had a cordial conversation with a guest service CM that I understand security will be in our room but to please not move the needles again. I did not make a big stink about it and don’t plan to say anything else but I asked that the message be passed on that items should not be moved.

I’m guessing that whoever did it was extending a kind gesture to leave us the Biohazard container. That was a nice thing to do and I hope that is the end of it.

DVC now gets trash removal on a daily basis.

Well it just happened to us. Staying at BLT on points, 830 am I am half dressed, 7 yo is naked dithering over outfits and husband is in the shower. Knock on door. I throw a beach coverup on and answer door - it is housekeeping asking to empty trash. I told her no it was a bad time. 830am is way to early. A lot of times we would be out at parks already but this morning we were just starting to move.

Just back from a split stay of 6 nights at OKW and 4 nights at BLT, both in studios on our DVC points. We were out of the room most days from 8:30 to approx 2:30, and most days came back to find the trash taken. On Towel/Trash day at OKW, the housekeeper knocked shortly after we returned and we let her in without issue. At BLT, the housekeeper was in the hall one day as we returned, and came in to get the trash. However, i agree that i would not like to be disturbed if i were sleeping, showering, etc.

Just back from staying 7 nights at CBR. We did get housekeeping. On a regular trip we might get housekeeping most days, but on a few days leave the DND sign up and forego if we hadn't created much trash, etc. We got it every day this time, mostly to avoid interruptions from security. One day when DH was ill, he asked them to just leave towels rather than come in to clean. DH wound up in the hospital overnight and I asked that they clean the room during a 3 hour mid day time period the day he was released. I really wanted it clean before we all stayed in there again. They did not come when we asked, so we all had to clear out of the room for an hour when we noticed housekeeping was near our room that afternoon. That was pretty frustrating, given that they had called to ask if we needed anything that day(there were CMs in the room when DH was tended to by paramedics the night before.)

Another day, we specifically requested that they not come until the afternoon since DD had a Skype interview she was going to do in the room. Thankfully, they did not come during the interview!

While we were never bothered by the security checks, I felt like it added stress to our vacation. Not knowing for sure if they would follow our request not to walk in during DD's interview just added to the stress that she even needed to do that during a vacation. We take afternoon breaks and they almost always had finished cleaning our room by then(except DH's discharge day). It just didn't add much to the relaxation of being on vacation, wondering each day if housekeeping would do our security check while we were gone...or try to do it during our afternoon breaks.

Edit: Also, when DH first got sick, the rest of us went ahead with our off site plans that day. It really added to the stress wondering if someone would insist on coming in the room while he was feeling so lousy. No one did insist on going in that day, but it just added to the stress of him being sick.

Last edited:
Just back from Pop, March 16 to 23. Had only one security check by a nice young lady. I don't necessarily have a problem with it because it's a feel good measure for all the worrywarts out there and it doesn't do a thing. I had a problem with the fact these people are coming into a room by themselves, in our case she went right into the bathroom. What if by chance we were up to no good, this young lady would be a sitting duck if she saw something. Besides I could hide plenty in that room If I wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!