Guest experiences with daily room checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
We stayed at Coronado Springs from March 14th to 20th. Kept housekeeping. Never had a security check or housekeeper knock while we were there. Most mornings we left by 9-930 am and returned at 230-3 for a swim - then changed and back out for dinner/evening. 2 days we left the room around 11am and stayed out until after dinner. We used the room occupied signs when we left late/came back to change into or out of swimsuits.

For us it was a non-issue. No difference from our previous trips.

We stayed at Boardwalk March 2nd thru 4th. Within an hour of checking in, we were disturbed by the "security" check. As this was a getaway trip for hubby and I, we were enjoying the rare morning adult time opportunity before heading to a park. This would have been about 9 or 10 am (room was ready at check in). Meaningless "occupied" sign on door. Hubby tried to deflect until later, but CM insisted on him opening door. This was a CM, not housekeeping. I ducked into bathroom and closed door, but do not believe CM actually entered the room once hubby threw some clothes on and opened door for him. CM's "excuse" for disturbance was "just to make sure that everything with the room was acceptable for us", as if his intrusion was for our benefit. Room faced a courtyard that was always empty. No other disturbances during stay, while we were in the room. Housekeeping did come on the 3rd. I would not assume that a CM didn't also visit on the 3rd while we were out.

Just because you didn't see them, didn't mean they didn't check your room out. And as they seem to be doing this solo, while not providing any actual increased security, and thereby not shielding themselves from lawsuits, they are instead opening themselves up to suits from the potential of guests having things stolen, harrassment, and who knows what if guest happens to be in shower or is hearing impaired and doesn't hear the knocking.

For those planning a stay, do not anticipate privacy during daylight hours. For those thinking this adds any sort of security, get real. Personally, between this and parking fees, we'll be offsite more in the future. Haven't stayed offsite in a couple years (AP - we had been visiting almost monthly), but now plan to for our next several visits. On the rare occasion when we decide to stay onsite, if we get interrupted in the same situation, they can just wait or barge in. Not opening the door for them.

Three disruptions this morning at POFQ, all with the "room occupied" sign on, we checked in last night.

Around 9:15 the housekeeper knocked, I was in my pj's working and my dd (tired college student) was sleeping. I opened the door as much as the latch would allow and asked her to please return later. She was quite rude and said "open that door and speak to me properly"! - So I unlatched the door and in my PJ's opened the door enough to say (in what I think was a very calm voice!) do you see this sign it means we are still using the room, can you come back after 11? She said yes and left.

20 Minutes later a gentleman came and knocked, sign still on the door and offered us a return customer gift and yes he said he had to give it to me right now. It was a card with a bottle of eyeglass cleaner.

Finally about 30 minutes later another person from housekeeping knocked and asked if we were having problems with the safe.

The housekeeper was rude, the gentleman with the gift was kind of goofy (in a good way) and the housekeeper asking about the safe seemed confused. Nobody asked to enter the room.

On our way out we stopped at the front desk to leave my comments and fix my MB that didn't open the door. The manager told me that none of the above cast members were supposed to knock when the Room Occupied sign was out and that all the "floor managers" would be spoken to. She said they are doing security checks but those would be obvious, they would be dressed like security or managers and they are the only people authorized to knock when the RO sign was out.

So that's my report - I hope I don't have any more this trip!

ETA -
Moved to OKW for 4 nights- no disturbances, excellent housekeeping :) (Cash Reservation)

Moved to CSR 2 nights- no disturbances.

Last edited:
We stayed DVC Boardwalk 3/17-3/20 and our trash was emptied every day. Didn’t look like anything else was moved. Usually on DVC points housekeeping comes in on the 4th day

We were at the Wilderness Lodge 3/23-3/28 (non-DVC). We had housekeeping each day, so we never had a separate security check. Every day except for our last full day, our room was cleaned by the time we came back to rest up/get ready for dinner. On our last day we came back and housekeeping was in the room, so we went to the lobby to sit and relax for a bit (where we were approached by a CM who pitched us DVC...sigh).

I was bothered initially that we didn't have a "room occupied" sign, then realized on our last day that we DID in fact have a sign...it was with our coffee stuff, not hanging on the back of our door where i would have expected it to be. So we never used that since we didn't know it was there.

I was pretty stressed out about this leading up to our trip...I'm in my 18th week of pregnancy and wasn't sure how much I'd want to come back to the room to rest or nap (or, being honest, to have some *quality time* with my husband). This stress actually clouded my excitement to stay at the Lodge for the first time...it shouldn't be like that. And we ended up having to go to the front desk upon arrival despite doing online check-in (never got a text with our room number), and they never mentioned these checks to us. I wish they'd clarify their policy if they're going to keep doing this...just something like, "in the interest of guest security" insert eyeroll "we will be having room checks" or something.

While I think we got lucky with timing and whatnot, this is definitely a strike against staying on-property for me (along with the new parking fees).

Three disruptions this morning at POFQ, all with the "room occupied" sign on, we checked in last night.

Around 9:15 the housekeeper knocked, I was in my pj's working and my dd (tired college student) was sleeping. I opened the door as much as the latch would allow and asked her to please return later. She was quite rude and said "open that door and speak to me properly"! - So I unlatched the door and in my PJ's opened the door enough to say (in what I think was a very calm voice!) do you see this sign it means we are still using the room, can you come back after 11? She said yes and left.

20 Minutes later a gentleman came and knocked, sign still on the door and offered us a return customer gift and yes he said he had to give it to me right now. It was a card with a bottle of eyeglass cleaner.

Finally about 30 minutes later another person from housekeeping knocked and asked if we were having problems with the safe.

The housekeeper was rude, the gentleman with the gift was kind of goofy (in a good way) and the housekeeper asking about the safe seemed confused. Nobody asked to enter the room.

On our way out we stopped at the front desk to leave my comments and fix my MB that didn't open the door. The manager told me that none of the above cast members were supposed to knock when the Room Occupied sign was out and that all the "floor managers" would be spoken to. She said they are doing security checks but those would be obvious, they would be dressed like security or managers and they are the only people authorized to knock when the RO sign was out.

So that's my report - I hope I don't have any more this trip!

We stayed at POFQ from 2/27 to 3/7/18. I think we had the same rude housekeeper:) I was napping in my nightgown and didn't open the door for her. We had the room occupied sign up, which apparently didn't help at all! I only spoke to her through the door. I told her I had called to request no housekeeping til after 4pm as we would be napping. I told her this, and she became very rude and said, "they can't tell you that, it is not up to them".
I wrote this entire experience on this thread already, but your comment about the housekeeper rang true for me.
The desk people, housekeeping, and security need to get their act together, as one doesn't seem to know what the other knows!

Last edited:

Just returned, Thursday-Sunday stay. Nights 1 & 3 were on points, night 2 on cash. We kept the hang tag on when in the room, and removed it as we went out. We were never awakened by a knock (so happy, as we never get up early). We were still in the room Friday at 11 when housekeeping knocked on the door, thinking we were checking out, but they were confused that we had linked reservations. As soon as I explained to her that we weren't leaving until Sunday, she said she'd make a note (and we didn't get bothered by housekeeping at all after that).
On Saturday before we were heading out to MK, probably around noon, someone called asking if we wanted any cleaning/replenishing (I think because we had the one cash night), and I told her no, then she said something about needing to come into the room to do a check (don't remember exactly what she said, but it sounded like she was reading from a script). I said it's fine, and she asked when would that be OK for us; I told her we were on our way out the door. When we got back later, the trash had been taken.
So, once in the 3 mornings that I know of. Maybe more, but trash was only removed that one time. I admit, it had me stressed -- worrying they'd be barging in while we were all still asleep.

Just finishing up a split stay at AoA and BCV

Art of Animation 3/29 - 4/2
  • Used daily housekeeping
  • Left each day by 11am
  • Kept the room occupied sign in place only when we were in the room
  • Never bothered by a security check
  • Was bothered one afternoon (we were all napping) by maintenance who were checking all toilet tanks on our floor (at least those rooms around ours). An obviously-dressed maintenance worker quickly opened up each toilet tank, peeked inside, and then left.
  • First night requested an extra blanket from housekeeping. She sent someone over pretty quickly, but first warned me to remove the door sign if we were using it.

Beach Club Villas 4/2 - 4/7 (2bdrm)
  • Used housekeeping daily (cash rental)
  • Kept the room occupied sign in place only when we were in the room
  • Never bothered by a Security check
  • One day we spent a few hours at the pool and returned to the room around noon before it had been cleaned. While we were back taking showers, we got a call from housekeeping about the sign on the door asking if I’d like to set up a time to have the room cleaned. I told them we were headed out in a few minutes, so no harm no foul.

I am not even sure if this qualifies as a room check but the experience was so odd that I wondered afterward if it was a room check... we were at Kidani for one night, so I figured they would not need to do a room check. A couple hours after arriving, we had a knock at the door. I let the housekeeper in as she wanted to "check to see if she'd emptied the freezer". She did actually open the refrigerator and freezer to check, but she didn't come in any further to the studio. :confused3

I am not even sure if this qualifies as a room check but the experience was so odd that I wondered afterward if it was a room check... we were at Kidani for one night, so I figured they would not need to do a room check. A couple hours after arriving, we had a knock at the door. I let the housekeeper in as she wanted to "check to see if she'd emptied the freezer". She did actually open the refrigerator and freezer to check, but she didn't come in any further to the studio. :confused3

Yeh I can’t really give to much info on the room checks because we had housekeeping come in a few times . It rained a ton today but it stopped now mostly but the lines were so short they were giving options to re ride !

My husband and I stayed at Boardwalk for 3 nights last week. We did experience the infamous room check, after the Room Occupied sign had been outside of our door for 2 days in a row. We also didnt need or want or room cleaned while we were there either. They first called our room to see if everything was ok with our stay, and room; in addition if we needed anything. Then they asked us if there was a time they could stop by just for security purposes, and if we had a request for a specific time. We were still in our room when Mousekeeping knocked on our door, they announced their presence before entering. Once they were in said they were there for trash removal, and to do a visual inspection. They were very polite, and quick about it; nor did they touch any of our personal belongings either. In all honesty, it really isn't anything to worry about, and seems to be something they do at random. Thats not to say that someone didn't stop by when we were not in our room. If there was, nothing of ours ever got touched.

I also wanted to point out that when we were at poly last week and not really bothered when we were in the room if they came in for a check while we were away I’m not sure what the point is , DH always has his duty weapon but puts in in the room safe , we had room service one night and his firearm was out next to the bed in open view and no one even blinked a eye ... so really just not sure what they are looking for .

Stayed in 3 villas at Kidani from 3/29 to 4/2 and then 3 standard rooms at Coronado Springs from 4/2 to 4/4.

We never had the "Room Occupied" signs out on any of our doors. Trash was emptied daily at Kidani but never when we were there. With 16 people spread out over the 3 villas, there was a lot of coming and going but no one was ever in the room when housekeeping or a security check came by (I warned everyone about the room checks in advance).

Had daily housekeeping at Coronado but again, they came by when we were not in the rooms so we were not disturbed at all.

Just returned from our stay at POFQ, 4/6/18-4/14/18. We did not opt out of housekeeping and it was not offered. When we were in the room for the night I would put the room occupied sign up. The signs do not stay on the door, if I hung it on the handle it would always be on the ground outside when I opened the door, I also noticed pretty much every sign on the ground as I walked to and from my room (even the DME envelopes were at times on the ground). I noticed though that when I walked by and a room was being serviced they would stick the sign under the door handle escutcheon. So that was what I started to do with the room occupied sign (image attached) and it never once fell to the ground again.

We were out of our room usually between 9AM and 11AM, our room was "cleaned" daily, the garbage was not emptied on 3 of the days and we never had a knock on the door while we were in the room.

Attachments

• IMG_2612.JPG
    IMG_2612.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 129
We just got back from CSR and everyday, with the exception of the last day, we had the room cleaned. On the day that we had put up the hanger we got a call later from the front desk saying that even if we do not need the room turned they needed to at least come in and check it. We said okay they said they would be there right away and we were in the room for 3-4 hours after that call and no one came. We went out to dinner in the evening so maybe someone came then.

Spent 4/2-4/7 at AKL. We were around the resort a lot, naps, in/out, etc. Never used the Room Occupied sign.

As with our two other prior trips this year, the room checks were a non-factor. If they did check anything, I assume it was during housekeeping visits.

We have yet to experience anything “different” than pre-room check trips in our travels YTD (around 10 nights total, other two trips were Poly and BWI).

Just passing along our experience - FWIW!

Reminding again that this is not a discussion thread. It's only for posting a report of your experience with the room checks. All other posts will be deleted.

For those who are new-ish to the boards: sticky threads (the ones with the little red push pins at the top of the board) are specialized threads that usually have ground rules for posting. Please read the first post in a sticky thread for instructions before posting to it.

I m
Reminding again that this is not a discussion thread. It's only for posting a report of your experience with the room checks. All other posts will be deleted.

For those who are new-ish to the boards: sticky threads (the ones with the little red push pins at the top of the board) are specialized threads that usually have ground rules for posting. Please read the first post in a sticky thread for instructions before posting to it.

I may have missed one but I’m seeing people post their experience, unless I missed a post otherwise .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter