Gulf beach vacation- need suggestions please

kaddjr

<font color=peach>Now I'm going to have to stalk t
While on vacation in Orlando last week, DH and I drove over to Clearwater Beach for a dayfor some down time from the parks. We have been there once before way back in 2005. We ususally go to Siesta Key Beach, however this time we didn't want to spend the extra time to go to that beach. The weather that day was beautiful. There was a nice breeze so while it was hot, it wasn't terrible (Orlando was MUGGY that day). We had a great time and most of all, it was relaxing.

I will stop right here and give a little background on us. I LOVE the beach. I have always said that if I lived near the beach, I would be a beach bum! I have suggested several times in the past that we do a week long gulf beach tour vacation, and everytime have been shot down by DH. He doesn't mind the beach for a day or two but always said he would be bored with any more time than that. So imagine my surprise when about half way through our day he looks at me and says, "I could really get into this! Let's do a beach vacation! No parks, just beaches." :Pinkbounc

He did put some conditions on it:

1. Where we stay has to be on the beach. He wants to park the car and not move it until we move on to the next one, unless there is another beach we would be interested in within a half hour drive max. Which leads to...

2. There has to be plenty to do/see/places to eat in the evening within walking distance of where we are staying.

3. Needs to be in a safe area.

I would also like to find a good beach for shelling.

We will be flying in and out of Tampa. We are not looking at Panama City or Destin (maybe next time). Also not really looking at renting beach houses or timeshares but can be flexable with that if need be. Really just looking at major hotel chains right now.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction? All of the planning is on me. I want to really impress DH so he will want to do this again. It will just be the two of us, unless DD21 decides to go along. That is an unknown at this point because she is looking at changing to a job that would help her career after she gets out of college. If she does, then she would be unable to go. Thanks in advance for all suggestions! :)

We've been to Ft. Myers Beach the last 3 years around New Year's - this is the place we stayed at last year and will again this year. It's ON the beach. Walkable. And there are even bikes you can borrow. (The Gullwing) https://www.gullwingfl.com/

https://www.pointeestero.com/

Three years ago, we stayed at the sister resort next door (Pointe Estero). We loved it, too, but changed to the Gullwing because it has 3 bedroom units, not just 2 bedroom units. It's run by the same management company. This place is also on the beach.

We've been to Ft. Myers Beach the last 3 years around New Year's - this is the place we stayed at last year and will again this year. It's ON the beach. Walkable. And there are even bikes you can borrow. (The Gullwing) https://www.gullwingfl.com/

Three years ago, we stayed at the sister resort next door (Pointe Estero). We loved it, too, but changed to the Gullwing because it has 3 bedroom units, not just 2 bedroom units. It's run by the same management company. This place is also on the beach.

Love Ft. Myers Beach! have stayed at Pointe Estero as well as Diamondhead Resort.
https://www.diamondheadfl.com/?nck=...MI6KWky4rH5QIV9f7jBx3V1wN3EAAYASAAEgKaFfD_BwE
Have found Ft Myers Beach to be more laid back than say, Naples. Kind of funky, fun and lots to do.

I like the beach, but I'm like your DH and usually can only tolerate a few days before wanting to go do something else, my DH is the same way. When DH was stationed in Tampa in 2004-05, I was down there at least once a month and we almost always spent those weekends on the beach.

We love the Treasure Island/Madeira Beach area (John's Pass has a lot of things to do and is between the two beaches and within walking distance from many hotels). After he left his FL assignment, we didn't get back down there for a while,. In recent years we've been building a few days there on one end of our WDW trips and recently it seems the area is changing with old businesses gone and tons of new hotels/condos going up. This may mean more things cropping up to do as well. On our December 2018 trip, we dropped by the Florida Orange Groves Winery over near St. Pete since DS turned 21 a few months earlier and took the tour and did a tasting which was fun.

We've also stayed at the Doubletree in North Redington Beach but I don't think there wasn't a whole lot over there walking-wise, mainly some hotels, a couple of restaurants, and residential. It was such a short stay though - I think one night passing through, two at the most - so I'm not sure if I'm remembering it right. Since DD loves mini golf - I do remember that being there!

I say go back to Clearwater. You can stay at the Hilton. It has a tiki bar and it's literally next door to pier 60. Walkable to all tge restaurants and bars. We took an uber from tampa airport. No car needed.

Clearwater has a ton of activity and everything is in walking distance. With that said, it can get super crowded. Madeira Beach is also really nice and John's Pass is really cool with lots of shopping and dining. St. Pete Beach is nice. Driving down to Sarasota might be a nice choice too. Long Boat Key is beautiful as well.

We like North Redington Beach, just south a bit of Clearwater. Specifically we like the doubletree resort. I like that the beach is not as wide. Easier to walk. And everything is an easy walk. We stay there a few times a year as we have family in the area. Love it.

I could easily do a week at St Pete beach. Tons of restaurants and bars. You could resort and bar hop all week long.

I LOVE Anna Maria Island. There are almost no big chains on the island, just a lot of local businesses, restaurants and inns. I think we stayed at a place called Cedar Cove, but there are a lot of other great smaller inns that are right on the beach or just an easy walk across the street. If I remember right, there is a free shuttle that goes up and down the main street. Some driving might be necessary though. I do remember a few small streets and shopping centers that had restaurants and cafes grouped together. Take a look, you'll find some great options.

We like North Redington Beach, just south a bit of Clearwater. Specifically we like the doubletree resort. I like that the beach is not as wide. Easier to walk. And everything is an easy walk. We stay there a few times a year as we have family in the area. Love it.
I could easily do a week at St Pete beach. Tons of restaurants and bars. You could resort and bar hop all week long.
I LOVE Anna Maria Island. There are almost no big chains on the island, just a lot of local businesses, restaurants and inns. I think we stayed at a place called Cedar Cove, but there are a lot of other great smaller inns that are right on the beach or just an easy walk across the street. If I remember right, there is a free shuttle that goes up and down the main street. Some driving might be necessary though. I do remember a few small streets and shopping centers that had restaurants and cafes grouped together. Take a look, you'll find some great options.

Thanks for the suggestions! This why I love the dis- so many helpful people here! As soon as life slows down a bit, I will be looking into all of the beaches and get things planned. Looks like there is plenty to do/see for two vacays!

We have family in tampa area, the locals go to honeymoon beach.
Clearwater is amazing but can be very busy depending on when you go so our family does not go there.

I have just begun to check out the St Pete Beach up thru Clearwater Beach area as a potential Thanksgiving week destination. It looks fantastic and affordable for our group. We would be traveling with 7 total. 4 adults, 3 kids 4/6/13. We all love to be on the beach, but also intrigued by the ZOO in Tampa, the couple aquariums and also Busch Gardens. So far I've been browsing VRBO for 3 bedroom condos :) Anyone with experience staying that time of year? Very crowded ? Warm ?

The Tampa Aquarium is pretty neat, as is the Clearwater Aquarium. Busch Gardens is a fun day especially if anyone likes roller-coasters.
Clearwater Beach, Madeira Beach, even Treasure Island Beach has a lot going on. St Pete Beach does as well but it gets a little boring south of the Don Cesar (the big pink hotel) before you get to the south end of the beach.

Not everything worth visiting on the beach is within walking distance from one particular resort, though. John's Pass probably has the most in one area, but it's touristy and priced accordingly.

Try using Google maps to pull up particular areas and take a look around to see what would work best for your family. There are a few great restaurants on St Pete Beach that we go to now and then as locals but they're a few blocks away from the beach (like closer to downtown SPB)

We love sand key near clearwater beach the sand key Marriott has beautiful views of the bay or if that's not your liking there are plenty of hotel choices you can use the Psta suncoast beach trolley for 5 a person for an all day pass it goes all the way to st pete beach and back to downtown clearwater you can stop in indian rocks beach Madeira beach st johns pass treasure island st pete beach Redington beach or go across the bridge into Clearwater beach and can stop anywhere along the way of the route plus there are other trolleys that can u take you around Clearwater Beach that also take the pass so you can park the car and not have to move it again at the hotel or pay parking fees at the beaches

I love Indian rocks and Indian shores. There’s not a whole lot going on but pretty much anywhere in those villages will be walking distance to a few restaurants and shopping. Still you may want a car as traveling just a few miles can open up many more options but uber/lyft would work as well.

I don’t stay in hotels. You can rent a beach front condo or cottage for the same price or better (I use Vrbo). I get a kitchen, washer/dryer, balcony overlooking the gulf, a pool and direct beach access. You can drink morning coffee on the balcony while watching dolphins then walk down to the beach about 100 yards in front of you, set up some umbrellas, break out the cooler full of beer and open up a book. Heaven.

We avoid larger condo buildings. The place we’ve stayed the last few times has 3 units so there are no crowds in the pool or on the beach. You can have your own little ocean front camp on the beach. We walk down the beach and see the large hotels and people crammed into loungers side by side with no privacy and think “why?”

In the evening some of the restaurants are hopping like lulus and crabby bills. Lots of local beach bums mingle with the tourists. I love the vibe.

Thanks for the suggestions! This why I love the dis- so many helpful people here! As soon as life slows down a bit, I will be looking into all of the beaches and get things planned. Looks like there is plenty to do/see for two vacays!
We go to Lido Key 3 or 4 times each year. Was just there. Very quiet. The beach is nice for long walks from pass to pass. In the evening St Armand’s Circle is a very short walk and has several very nice restaurants, and some nice shops. I would avoid Clearwater. It’s just not worth going there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!