Gulf State Park DIS Meet 2019 (Episode 4)

Not trying to knock Tiggerdad's home turf :rolleyes1

Well, if you ain't got the guts to do it, then I will.

Q. Why do ducks fly over Mississippi upside down?
A. There's nothing worth craping on!

Q. How do you know the toothbrush was invented in Mississippi?
A. If it was invented anywhere else, it would have been called a teethbrush.

Q: Why are there so many unsolved murders in Mississippi?
A: There are no dental records and everyone has the same DNA

What!? You got a Mississippi joke? Bet I can beat it!

201603_1615_aefde_sm.jpg

We have Arkansas jokes here... Only because they make it so easy. :D

I stopped for gas outside Jackson, MS and did get asked, "Where'd you get all those teeth?"

j

Hey Everyone, The other day I took a motorcycle ride to Gulf Shores. I made a stop the check on the baby Bald Eagles. They are almost ready to start flying. While around the park I noticed a couple of new things. At the entrance to the state park on the Walmart side they built a new restaurant called Woodside. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner featuring southern cuisine. It's easy enough to get to by bicycle or car. Will probably check it out at least once. The second thing is they took out the guard shacks at the beach pavilion. Now they have parking meter stands that you pay for parking just like the public beaches in town.

On a different note I had made and then cancelled Spring break reservations due to time off issues at work. I was able to move the date up to come in early for the Dismeet. I will be in site 215 Wed (22nd) to Fri (24th) and then move to site 8. I will also probably check out early on Friday the 31st. Looks like I will be the first one in so if anyone needs me to check their sites or help set up just let me know. For those that may not know if your site is unoccupied you can check in anytime that day.

Last edited:

Joe,

Thanks for checking things out. Interesting on the parking shack. I wonder if parking is still free for those staying at the campground.

And I'll probably have you check our site (4) on Friday. We will be leaving Thursday after work. Depending on how far we make it Thursday, we could be in by early afternoon Friday.

j

Joe,

Thanks for checking things out. Interesting on the parking shack. I wonder if parking is still free for those staying at the campground.

And I'll probably have you check our site (4) on Friday. We will be leaving Thursday after work. Depending on how far we make it Thursday, we could be in by early afternoon Friday.

j

We roll in on Thursday, so will be able to look out the window and see if your site is empty.

I figure if the window decal they give you at checkin is in the window you should likely be getting free parking. I haven't heard anything about them dropping that option.

We'll roll in Friday afternoon. I'll need enough daylight to set up tent so as soon as my youngest gets out of school that day we will hit the road.

I agree with Michael. I figure as long as were registered campers with a pass displayed they won't ticket us. I will try and remember to ask on check in. Michael I should be there close by and will be ready to assist you in setting up before it gets dark. Is it just me having camping withdrawals due to the perfect weather these last few days ? I have been cleaning airing out my camper due to a suspected mold growth thanks to our super wet winter and the camping bug has bit me bad. I know our Dismeet is 2 months away but I'm ready to go now. I'm planning to purchase a pellet grill soon so I hope to contribute more to the cooking duties this year.

I agree with Michael. I figure as long as were registered campers with a pass displayed they won't ticket us. I will try and remember to ask on check in. Michael I should be there close by and will be ready to assist you in setting up before it gets dark. Is it just me having camping withdrawals due to the perfect weather these last few days ? I have been cleaning airing out my camper due to a suspected mold growth thanks to our super wet winter and the camping bug has bit me bad. I know our Dismeet is 2 months away but I'm ready to go now. I'm planning to purchase a pellet grill soon so I hope to contribute more to the cooking duties this year.

In our trailer we use a air drier that is designed for boats, it heats the air, is good for 1000 sq feet and uses very little power. It has worked well at keeping the trailer from getting musty smelling or too damp. And the initial cost is not too bad either as they are about $50.

I always kept a dehumidifier running in mine, but one where you could set the humidity so it didn't run all the time.

Joe, thanks for the offer. We'll have to see how our timing is going to be. I don't want to be a burden on anyone. I got the 12,000 BTU a/c unit and my small refrigerator I keep in my shed to bring with us. I'm still working on this local salesman and a camper.

Well team, it’s looking like I may have to change to a tentative. My wife is going to have to have an unexpected surgery May 13 that’s going to have to put her on bed rest for a few weeks. Hoping we will still make it but not sure :(

Well team, it’s looking like I may have to change to a tentative. My wife is going to have to have an unexpected surgery May 13 that’s going to have to put her on bed rest for a few weeks. Hoping we will still make it but not sure :(

Hate to hear it, give her our get wells. Hopefully it'll still work out.

Well take care of her, hope all goes well. If you can make it we will be there and would enjoy seeing you there.

Hey Bishop,

Take care of DW. IIRC you are somewhere on the Florida Panhandle so if you can't come over to camp at Gulf, maybe you or both of you can come over for a campground dinner/bbq one night and meet some of our folks.

Keep in touch and if you are close but can't come over, maybe a number of us can come to you one night for dinner someplace.

As is the way with plans with a number of folks honing in one one set of dates, there will be issues that come up and unforeseen problems that have to be addressed. I'm gonna keep you and DW in my prayers during this Lenten season.

Let us know updates as you can. I'm gonna keep you on our list with an asterisk* for now.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Gulf Shores is coming up next month folks!

Work has thrown a curve ball into my schedule. I have to do some on-line live training via computer Wednesday-Friday May 22-24 for 8 intense hours each day. Not the kinda thing that can be done via a cell-phone hot spot connection and GSP has no WIFI so I can't pull a "garneska" and "work" from my campsite. That's when DW and I was scheduled and that's when I have to be "present" on-line. Can't not show up on-line. Not the kinda thing I want to try to pull off at a Starbucks either.

I am trying to come up with alternatives but I may be home in the office for these unless I come up with a reliable solution.

With regards to my calendar, I'm actually coming to Gulf Shores on Sunday May 19 to position the trailer in site #4 and leave it there during the week so my mom and dad can use it (their cheap beach condo, so to speak). I've done this in past years and tiggerdad has met my dad down there but it's my tradition to book two weeks at Gulf, take the camper down on arrival Sunday, and let them use it till I come down at the end of the week (which might be REALLY the end of the week). Not sure yet when they are using it and when I will come in so it's fluid. But I like coming in a week early, eating lunch in Gulf Shores, setting up the camper, then heading home same day. I can get the "lay of the land" before we head down for good on vacation. If I leave early enough I can catch Mass at the church in Gulf Shores too. So we shall see.

One of my games to play before a campout is to start checking the weather WAY in advance. Yeah I know it's gonna change between now and then but it helps me look forward to the event (especially when the weather looks good). So for all you gamblers out there, here is the forecast for the end of May in Gulf Shores. Looks pretty decent.

Screenshot 2019-04-07 at 4.18.10 PM.png

I'm gonna have to have a word with Saint Peter about that wet stuff on May 31 and June 1.

Tick tock. :hourglass

Bama Ed

Last edited:
For yucks, I've priced out a 1-Br condo in Gulf Shores at one of the more affordable places I used to stay at before I got a camper. As you will see, it's not the "price per night" of $138 for this location this time of year that gets you. It's the taxes, the cleaning fee, the booking fee, and the recreation fee (anything I missed?) that takes a 1Br in a condo across the beach highway (but with beach access - this is where I used to stay) to over $200 per night Sun-Thur in May before Memorial Day weekend ( 4-nights).

Screenshot 2019-04-07 at 4.46.37 PM.png

The Phoenix properties over in Orange Beach (even the older Phoenix 1) are about $100 more than this for a 4-night stay.

At Gulf State Park our camp sites are about $50 a night by comparison. Back during the real estate crash less than 10 years ago, the 1Br units at this condo were going for $110-120k. Of course when the hurricanes came through the rentals dropped to zero but the HOA was strong enough to repair damage due to loss of power (mold) and get the units back on line (with owners kicking in for everything past the walls no doubt).

Of course 1Br aren't that low any more but as much as I go to Gulf Shores it would have been nice to have a little unit like this. I looked at cheaper units back toward the intra-coastal (but south of it) which were in the $90s but two story. :sad2:

Thus my contention that GSP is a gem (and a bargain).

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts