Gulf State Park Dismeet 2018: Sand, Sun, and Puzzles...

tiggerdad

I don't always get distracted but whe...SQUIRREL!
3-fingers.png

It's been a long time since May of 2015. That Memorial Day weekend it just happened that BamaEd and myself ended up at GSP at the same time. We talked about how good it was to be able to meet up at a location a little closer to home and be able to say "Hello". One shrimp cooking and a little conversation and we parted ways. The puzzles stayed at home.

May of 2016 we decided to try it again, and several more of you joined up. We represented several states worth of Disers on that one. We ate lots of shrimp, chicken, crawfish, and steaks. Some of us ventured to NAS Pensacola to see the Blue Angels, others went to see Jimmy Buffett. Randy and I nearly went to jail (because of the previously mentioned steaks). That's no joke...we nearly did. We put several faces with several Disboards names and shook A LOT of hands. That year's puzzle was Beauty and the Beast.

May of 2017 saw us together again. We moved mostly up to Live Oak Dr. for better shade. We ate lots of shrimp, crawfish, ribs (southern dry rub and then some midwest BBQ sauce flavored), more chicken, and lots restaurant seafood. The big group outing was going to the Wharf to see the premier of Pirates of the Carribean Dead Men Tell No Tales. We had greatly expanded bike trails and walkways. Gators at the lakeshore. Memorial Day evening thunderstorms to be remembered. The puzzle was Winnie The Pooh.

Now for 2018!

First off, the lineup and sites. Now, I'll warn you all, BamaEd has each of the last two years done a fantastic job of keeping the list neat and up to date. I'm not as computer savvy as he is, so this is the best I can come up with:
attempt 4.png

Well, anywho, what I need is for you guys to update me on the dates you'll be there and I'll update the above list. (somehow) My dates may change, but currently I'm booked May 24th - June 2nd. Since I booked, my youngest daughter has changed her dance gym and NOW she has a dance recital on June 2nd, so I'm gonna be cutting my trip short. I just don't know how short but will update it when I do know.

Also, and I am really hoping this happens, maybe I can get to add some names to the list above before it gets here.

Now, this year we got the new Star Wars: Han Solo will come out Memorial Day Weekend so that is another movie option at the Wharf. There is lots to do down there. We have noticed how each of us can show up and meet and talk and yet each of us can go our separate ways while we are there and see the sites and taste the local food and not feel like we are obligated in any way to just hang out all the time.

I do unfortunately report that Teamubr (Jim) won't be able to join us this year nor will Dirtywhiteboy (Nic) but each had priorities that came up and hopefully will be back with us again next year.

Oh yeah, and let the antics begin...

Attachments

• IMAG0804.jpg
    IMAG0804.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Excited about this meet already! Hate Jim and Nic are going to miss it, I'm sure we'll have a good time for both of them!

Thumbs up on the highly sophisticated chart Micheal

That's a Mississippi chart right there! :thumbsup2

I think FriendofEeyore (Flo) and her DH GrumpieAggie (Arnold) will be getting site #3 after Phil pulls out a little earlier in the week. At least that's what I remember from the old thread but I am too lazy to check. I remember because FoE seems like such a sweet lady that I thought to myself that I would have to be on my best behavior when she and Arnold are back there. I didn't have a DIS'ser last year behind me (although Teamubr was just the next one over).

I have already secured a new Disney puzzle. And I remember taking pictures of PaHunter's site last year for him.

tiggerdad, I can stream the Bama-Georgia National Champ game one night from my DVR for some entertainment. :happytv:

Lisa (DW) is already looking forward to afternoon naps and bicycle rides. Oh and some seafood lunches locally.

Bama Ed :wave2:

PS - here is last year's thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-gulf-state-park-dismeet-2017-thread-aka-the-sequel.3571999/

Last edited:
Mike I think my dates are May 26 thru June 3. I lost the email and will have to call this week. I mentioned this before but will repeat it now that we have a dedicated 2018 thread. The new Owa shopping and amusement park is now open in Foley. They have great shops and food as well as the amusement park. I think a day pass for all the rides is around $35.00 and a annual pass is around $80.00 This might be a good option for a group outing.

I really am disappointed I have to miss this year, but getting this new EMR up and running on June 3rd is all encompassing right now. We are still planning on being at GSP in September and everyone is invited to join us. We have Ed's preferred site 4 reserved, so we know it will be good.

j

I really am disappointed I have to miss this year, but getting this new EMR up and running on June 3rd is all encompassing right now. We are still planning on being at GSP in September and everyone is invited to join us. We have Ed's preferred site 4 reserved, so we know it will be good.

j

Jim, we will miss you, Donna, and Ian this May at Gulf.

Plus I will miss your grilled pork steaks in the bbq sauce. Yum!

Site #4 is a great site to carry your chair up by the main road at the front of your site and watch the sun come up across the lake out towards the Gulf Pavilion. You will enjoy it.

ED

Ed, I got the puzzle assembly box again this year. Seemed to work last year. At least we didn't seem to have as much off and on rain last year.

Speaking of the new Star Wars movie, just saw the preview during the Super Bowl. Looks cool.

That's a Mississippi chart right there! :thumbsup2 ...

... Lisa (DW) is already looking forward to afternoon naps and bicycle rides. Oh and some seafood lunches locally.

Bama Ed :wave2:
That was a very hightech chart done in pencil not crayon Hopefully one day I will gradiate from chalk so I am duly impressed

Last edited:
Glad to see I am not the only one who misplaced the email for the reservation. I also need to call down for my dates.

I must of had a really good day I saved it in my archive folder and put it in my phone calendar the day I made them

Okay, so at the embarrassing request of friends and family (Okay, my own embarrassment) I updated the list on the opening post to reflect those of us that are attending and added in the dates for those of you who have posted them so far.

If you haven't posted up your dates, just do so when you have them and I'll fix it up as we go.

My dates are gonna be shorter than the previous years. From the way it's looking, I'll probably have to leave Memorial Day night or the next morning.

My dates are gonna be shorter than the previous years. From the way it's looking, I'll probably have to leave Memorial Day night or the next morning.

D-a-a-a-n-g .....

My dates (at this point in time) will be probably in on Thursday May 24 and out either Saturday June 2 or Sunday June 3. I have the site till Sunday but after 9 nights I might need to go home a day sooner to prep for the work week (show Sat 6/2 as my out date). I also have the site reserved for a few days before my currently planned arrival in case Mom or Dad want to use it for a couple days like they did last year.

Bama Ed

PS - love the font choice on your new-and-improved table. :thumbsup2

So before our trip to Disney way back in Sept our camper was in for warranty work. We ordered a cover while there, figured 3 weeks later we could pick it up on the way home. Nope. 5 months later and with no communication from Camping World about my cover, we called and cancelled the order. Ordered a new one on Wednesday from an online site and Fed Ex just delivered it, oh and it was cheaper. Cover is made by ADCO, and once the snow melts off the top of the trailer, and it stops raining we will look to install it. Keeping in mind the great advice from TeamUBR.

Ok after some searching, I did save the reservation information. We will be arriving on the 25th, and leaving on the 28th on site 24

Well looks like we will break this trip a bit more than usual, as the dog will be traveling with us. Looks like PA to VA for first day of driving. VA to Gadsen, Alabama for day two. And final morning in to Gulf State Park. This looks to limit my driving to about 6 hours a day, which is different than my normal marathon sessions.

Ok have a reservation for the trip home overnight. Now to make reservations for the trip down. And then have to start the lists, packing, food, compartment checklists....

Well looks like we will break this trip a bit more than usual, as the dog will be traveling with us. Looks like PA to VA for first day of driving. VA to Gadsen, Alabama for day two. And final morning in to Gulf State Park. This looks to limit my driving to about 6 hours a day, which is different than my normal marathon sessions.

Had family in Gasden, AL recommend here.
http://www.noccalulafallspark.com/

Reportedly has pull through sites. Not sure about proximity to I59 though.

As far as covers, I've owned two and have sworn will never buy another. They have never lasted more than 1.5 years, and the "supposed" warranties were a joke as they told me that "wind caused damage" which they call everything, is not covered.

I've owned an Camco and an Excalibur and neither I recommend. Hopefully you have better luck than me.

Last edited:
Had family in Gasden, AL recommend here.
http://www.noccalulafallspark.com/

Reportedly has pull through sites. Not sure about proximity to I59 though.

As far as covers, I've owned two and have sworn will never buy another. They have never lasted more than 1.5 years, and the "supposed" warranties were a joke as they told me that "wind caused damage" which they call everything, is not covered.

I've owned an Adco and an Excalibur and neither I recommend. Hopefully you have better luck than me.

That is where we have a reservation for the evening. The pull thru sites are daily first come, first serve, it is ok, I can back the beast. We figured for now we will give a cover a try, as our trailer gets full sun on the one side. Would like to get a pole barn built, but so far not much luck in organizing the Disboard barn raising.

So all the reservations are made for this trip. Now to get the trailer to the dealership and get some warranty items fixed before then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!