Gulf State Park Dismeet 2018: Sand, Sun, and Puzzles...

Yea Jim, I cought myself laughing while I was towing the camper, it's crazy how much of a difference there is between the two trucks, the F450 handles the camper good but you know the its back there and the Peterbilt, unless you look in the mirror you wouldn't know it. Not to poke fun at Ed or anything but it's like towing Ed's Aliner with the F450. No white knuckle driving, fulling in control, better fuel mileage, 9.1 mpg compared to 6.4 mpg with my pick up. Plus the whole cool looking factor, I got some thumps up and crazy looks.

Screenshot_20180313-074418.jpg

Now for the downside of this idea, transportation. Like Michael and I discussed on the phone, once your at the campsite in say like GSP Or Key West, unless someone follows you in a car or pickup you'll fun driving a big truck around to go eat, shop, the beach, etc. But I wouldn't have a problem in Disney, we never drive when we're there, I always park in the overflow and use Disney transportation. Now I did get online and look at used smart cars, one will fit in the garage, but I don' think I'll fit in the car hahaha!! Maybe a scooter or something, I don't plan on using the big truck full time to pull the camper, it's just as a back up to my pickup.

Last edited:

Now for the downside of this idea, once your at the campsite in say like GSP Or Key West, unless someone follows you in a car or pickup you'll fun driving a big truck around to go eat, shop, the beach, etc.
Randy,

Here's your solution. Other than fitting in a SmartCar, this looks like it has been done AND it frees up your garage for a cart or other toy.

4e6eebc608f0ac1c032446ff2075213f.jpg

j

Jim your trying to get me to spend way too much money!

Actually Jim, I saw one the other day on a HDT forum that the guy had a bed built with both the commercial and his fifth wheel hitch and the smart bed. Was very nice, and I am sure a few pennies worth.

Randy for full time conversion, seem everyone uses the Jackalopee, made by the same fella that makes the ET hitch down in Florida. As for a brake controller there is one by direct link that would use the truck computer port and activates your trailer brakes, just an FYI.
Have been doing a lot of research in to HDT, and looks like we may be up for buying one. Probably after the GSP trip, as I would need time to get it set up to tow.

I seen the Jackalopee, I follow Gregg from the RV Hauler videos on YouTube. Maybe one day I'll find a signal rear axle Peterbilt and I'll fix it up into a full blown RV Hauler. I want a early 90s Cabover Peterbilt, I wanna be different then everyone else. I can see Tiggerdad in 70s International Transtar!

I seen the Jackalopee, I follow Gregg from the RV Hauler videos on YouTube. Maybe one day I'll find a signal rear axle Peterbilt and I'll fix it up into a full blown RV Hauler. I want a early 90s Cabover Peterbilt, I wanna be different then everyone else. I can see Tiggerdad in 70s International Transtar!

Transtar II would be my preference. (1974-1981). There are some suttle differences between the two that go a long way. Bigger engine for one thing.

Yes, I don't know if Gregg will be doing anymore video's as he just left the company there. But I have learned a lot from watching them, we are currently trying to find the right truck.

Micheal and I were talking about that, he is thinking about going the same route. A nice Volvo with one drive axle and a automatic are hard to come by, everyone wants them for that reason. Yeah his videos are helpful and informative, I didn' know he left them, I know they just built a small campground somewhere in the Midwest, Kansas maybe? Maybe one we'll make it to one of the heavy duty truck rallys they have.

Micheal and I were talking about that, he is thinking about going the same route. A nice Volvo with one drive axle and a automatic are hard to come by, everyone wants them for that reason. Yeah his videos are helpful and informative, I didn' know he left them, I know they just built a small campground somewhere in the Midwest, Kansas maybe? Maybe one we'll make it to one of the heavy duty truck rallys they have.

He just left recently, as of March 1st. Yes the campground is in Kansas. The rally is in Tennessee and in April. I was hoping to make it, but not this year, maybe next year for the East Coast one.

Well my ticker says it is only 2 months until we all get together. My checklist is getting longer by the day, camper is almost clear of all the snow from earlier in the week. Now I guess I need to open it up, start verifying what is in the trailer, what we removed, and restock and get it ready to roll. Looks like we have at least one camping trip before the Gulf, maybe a second we will see. Not sure I can give up a second weekend of prep time.

I'm leaving most of my big stuff in the rig from this recent trip to FW. I'll giver her a bath and hopefully only need to restock with food and clothes and be on our way.

I can smell the Gulf Island seafood pasta now...
imag1272-jpg.241881

Perhaps the Ya Ya!

Ya Ya is good. I had some last trip. :crazy: ED

PS - it's filling too. That was a good recommendation, Michael.

Ya Ya is good. I had some last trip. :crazy: ED

PS - it's filling too. That was a good recommendation, Michael.

That seafood pasta is pretty good. If you and the Mrs. go back you should try it as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter