Gulf State Park Dismeet 2018: Sand, Sun, and Puzzles...

Randy, good Ole Gulf Island Grill. Good choice.

I just got off the phone with GSP reservations. Since this years trip is going to be shorter for us due to DD dance schedule, I moved some of the dates instead of cancelling them. I changed 4 of the cancelled nights to October during the kids' fall break so we'll be on Sumac road site 61 October 5,6,7, and 8.

This left one day to do something with and I had the girl check and apparently my site 18 for this years trip is open the night before I was supposed to arrive. I went ahead and reserved it for the 23 of May. What this does is means I don't have to wait on anyone to get off my site on the 24th so I can roll in early in the morning. However, if I manage to get out of clinic early enough on that 23rd, I may just blast out of Meridian that evening and head on down and setup in the dark. I figure I can at least get into the site and do the fine tune setup the next morning.

You can give us updates on our sites too for Friday, if it's open we can roll in early.

Rode through GSP today and right away there are some new stuff to see...

20180407_144030.jpg

A new walkway/bike path over the beach road, this is at camp road 1 and Hwy 182, there is another by camp road 2.

20180407_144114.jpg

Here is the new hotel by the pier.

20180407_144308.jpg
Also they fenced off the parking spots at the end of Rd 2 along with putting up the wooden fence along 90% of Rd 1 (between Walmart and Hwy 182.

Had a good day, the weather could have been better. Gulf Island Grill was good as always, made a stop by The Yard for ice cream, (a Gulf Shores must do) there was a hour and half wait for milk shakes (what their famous for) we waited just about 10 minutes for ice cream, not too bad. Made the 22 mile hike to Fort Morgan to catch the ferry back home and was told the ferry was having engine issues and would not make the last trip of the day so a 45 minute ferry ride turned into a 2 hour drive in the rain around Mobile Bay to get back home, at least the tunnel in Mobile was flowing good.

You're killing this land locked person who is now dying for some fresh fried gulf oysters.

You're killing this land locked person who is now dying for some fresh fried gulf oysters.

Well, you and Frank need to slip away and come down and stay a spell. Don't give any of that "we gotta work" mess either. It's highly overrated.

Well we're back home from our short and cold 4 night stay at GSP. What dummy thought the first week of April is a good time for Spring Break needs to be hung. But other than needing something besides just the t-shirts I took with me the trip was enjoyable. We did some biking and even rode to the pier one night over the new bridge Randy posted the picture of. We had a possible otter sighting off the new bridge trail behind Possum road. We also saw the largest gator ever on the Canal loop road. He had to be over 10 feet. The ranger said they had already relocated him once so he will probably be a suitcase soon. Saw a rig Randy would love. A full size Kenworth tractor stretched with a class A body on it. Picture to follow.

Unless something happens I'll be checking in first on Wednesday and will keep a look out on anyone's site that needs an update. Michael if you do roll in after dark I have an awesome flashlight and will help you get set up. Just text me your arrival time.

As far as planning meals ahead I'm all for that and will help out or gladly chip in funds for bigger things like shrimp, steak or crawfish. I can grill or help cook other stuff. I'm not much on hosting but I am willing to try if called upon.

Last edited:
Joe, thanks for the offer of the light, I just might take you up on it depending on what time.

That truck is awesome! I want one!

Hang on a second...
(Feet running in background)

Honey! Honey! Check out this Peter-camper-hybrid-mobile command unit Joe found!
Can I have one?

Honey?

Funny, never saw your eyes that color red before.

(Feet skulkingly walking back)
She said "no"

Lord Won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz , My friends all drive Porches I must make amends is coming to mind for some reason

Lord Won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz , My friends all drive Porches I must make amends is coming to mind for some reason
Worked hard all my lifetime... No help from my friends (well... okay, maybe some help! :D)

Is it just me or does anyone else think the hotel rooms in the pictures Randy posted are awfully close to the beach highway? Okay if I paid for a "parking lot" view, I get that I don't have a beach/gulf view but the road noise might be noticeable on that back side.

Just sayin'.

ED

Well our first camping trip of the season was last weekend. 33 degrees and snow in TN, not exactly what I had in mind. Oh yea, neither was the 24 hours of downpours. Did meet a lot of nice people and still had a good time, in spite of DW and I being sick. Still sick and not recovered, have a few days to get better as we are headed out next week for our new tow vehicle. Won't be long and we will be on the road to GSP, and hopefully it does not snow there !!!

Won't be long and we will be on the road to GSP, and hopefully it does not snow there !!!

Nope.

It's illegal.

Felony actually.

Criminal-court2.jpg

Last edited:
DW wanted so reassurance, after all TN was south, so it should have been warmer....I am still recovering from my cold, spent the last two days in bed. Have this weekend to get somethings ready, and get some stuff out of our truck, prior to picking up the new Tow Vehicle.

Nope.

It's illegal.

Felony actually.

Criminal-court2.jpg

Since when does Mother Nature care about what is lawful conduct or not?

DW wanted so reassurance, after all TN was south, so it should have been warmer....I am still recovering from my cold, spent the last two days in bed. Have this weekend to get somethings ready, and get some stuff out of our truck, prior to picking up the new Tow Vehicle.
Chris congrats on New Tow Vehicle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter