Gym usage

MermaidLagoonResident

Mouseketeer
A few months ago I got a gym membership for access to a treadmill. I wasn't going and running outside because of the heat and the amount of sunscreen required. So far I've only used the treadmills in the space.

What are machines and exercises you like to do at the gym? I've mainly in the past been a group fitness person and I have no clue where to start with other things I could be doing in the space.

I use a combination of machines, free weights and bands for my workout routine. If I don't have a lot of time, I will use the assisted pull up / dip machine. Aside from working the upper body, I will also use it to do glute pushdowns.

I see that you are in Toronto. I'm in Mississauga. Which gym did you join? Do they have any intro sessions on how to use the machines? Learning how to do the exercises properly is so important.

I use a combination of machines, free weights and bands for my workout routine. If I don't have a lot of time, I will use the assisted pull up / dip machine. Aside from working the upper body, I will also use it to do glute pushdowns.

I see that you are in Toronto. I'm in Mississauga. Which gym did you join? Do they have any intro sessions on how to use the machines? Learning how to do the exercises properly is so important.

I got a membership with Hone Fitness, i think i remember reading something about one free pt session, I didn't look into it at the time though because my focus was the treadmill. I should double check about that.
Exactly! That"s part where i hadn't ventured into using the machines, didn't really know what to use/how and did not want things to go horribly wrong.

I had been looking at some bands on amazon but the reviews are all soooo spilt, where did you find yours? Do you find they stay or do they roll up on you?

I bought Peach Bands through Amazon and they are pretty good. They are starting to roll up and lose its elasticity but they are also 2 years old.
I've tried the PTP brand from Sportchek and they roll up.

I like to alternate using the machines and doing a day of legs and a day of arms. I typically don't do legs and arms on the same day and I also don't do them on days that I do cardio (typically). I will do ab work on the same day I do cardio. I also really enjoy swimming laps if your gym has a pool.

I'm in the gym just for weight lifting 4 days a week. My routine changes every two weeks to keep it fresh and my body challenged. 99% of the time I run early in the morning, get the kids to school then go to the gym. I'm thinking about moving to a 5 day schedule next week so I can work my legs twice.

I use mostly dumbbells, cables and barbells. The only machines I use are plate loaded leg extension and hamstring curls.

I design my own plans now, but I've used trainers in the past. If your gym offers a free session take advantage of it so they can familiarize you with the machines. My husband is also a powerlifter in the squat, bench & deadlift which helps too.

My approach is if I don’t like it it’s probably what I should be doing, ie pull ups and 6 beat burpee. I have a home “gym” that consists of adjustable dumbbells, a kettlebell, a pull-up bar, ab wheel and trx rig.

My advice would be to look at what shape, men’s health, or nerd fitness recommend for beginners, start lighter than you think, focus on form, and ignore what’s going on around you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter