Had a garage sale today and.....

Nissi

Mouseketeer
We decided out of nowhere yesterday to hold a garage sale. I told my husband we just moved into our house 8 months ago...what could we possibly have to sell? I thought, ok, let's do it...even if we make $30, we can add it to our Disney fund (trip is a lttle over 2 months away). So last night we went through kids rooms, our room, the shed (OMG), cabinets, closets, etc. Today we set up at 10:00 am and by 5:00 pm, we had made $175!!

Just a little encouragement if you're finding yourself somewhat short on the Dis-funds...or on any funds! I did not expect to make half that. We just put ourselves a lot closer to our goal. Hold a garage sale!

Mickey, here we come!:love:

That's awesome! Some extra cash for Disney is always a great thing. :goodvibes
...And a great way to declutter along the way!
Glad it was a success~

woohooo thats great ..........

we also desided today to have a lawn sale today and i guess they will be havin it again tomorrow, my next door neighbor also set up with use

we made $79 and she made $45 from about 9am till 2pm and no signs anywhere .... whooo

We did that last year and I made over $300 for our Disney trip ... AND decluttered a good bit. Took a bunch of stuff to our local flea market this year and made about $175. Always a good way to add to the Disney fund !!

congrats, don't forget to collect all coins around the home...we had a coin jar and I took it to our grocery and all the coins added close to $200.

Cool! I am about to have one in a few weeks. I spent a good part of the morning cleaning out closets to get a few things started for it. I have always done pretty good at them. We normally have one at my house and then we have another one at my friends house across town to try to sell what is left. :thumbsup2

I also put some items in a Kids Closet consignment sale and I will find out Friday just how well it went. I am trying to save money now for a trip to Disney in May. I have a DD who will be graduating and I am saving every dime that I can find to take her. :rotfl2: I already booked the trip, so it's on now! :lmao:

I am also saving all of our change, and just today I started saving all one dollar bills. Hopefully this will add up quick. :)

I just got through participating in a children's consignment sale this weekend and luckily I did pretty well. The money I made will be our tip money, spending money etc. Every little bit helps these days! I'm glad that your impromptu sale went well! Enjoy your trip.

I have always heard that it's best to have one on the first Saturday of the month, due to the way people get paid. :confused3 You may have a better turn out on that day.

We had a garage sale yesterday too. Spent all summer getting ready and had perfect weather too.

We made $1100!! :banana: Helping to pay for the next Disney cruise!!!

I always save all my change...never spend it. From November to June, when I cashed it in, I had $220!! Took it with me to Disney and spent it in my favorite store, Art of Disney. TD Bank has a machine to drop it all in, you get a receipt, and the teller gives you the cash. Easy, painless way to save for a Disney trip.

Great idea about saving the change for Disney :thumbsup2 You don't realize how much you have until it is added together :tinker:

My kids, husband, and I went through our collections and found some things we could part with: retired legos, antique lamps, vintage stuff, and outgrown clothing. We also sold a set of concert tickets we had bought a few months ago. By the time we listed all our stuff on ebay and sold it, we had raised $1500, which went a long way toward our trip. And now we're getting ready to "go home" to the world in just two weeks! Yay!!

I've been thinking of having a yard sale for quite some time. My biggest issue is deciding what to charge. We mostly have clothes that DS has outgrown. Alot of it is still in great shape.

How do you decide on prices? Do you hit other garage sales to get a feel for what people are charging?

I've been thinking of having a yard sale for quite some time. My biggest issue is deciding what to charge. We mostly have clothes that DS has outgrown. Alot of it is still in great shape.

How do you decide on prices? Do you hit other garage sales to get a feel for what people are charging?

Depending on your area, I've heard a good rule is charge about 10% of what you paid (which is hard to remember with tons of kids clothes!) if it's still in almost perfect condition. I always think that seems too much compared to what I see at other rummage sales in my area (southern WI). I usually charge between $1-$1.50 for shirts in perfect condition and $.50-$.75 for gently used shirts. I charge about $1-$1.50 for jeans. It really depends on what YOU would pay for it. I have been at a rummage sale where someone is selling VERY used/faded kid's shirts for $1 and can go next door and see a full outfit with tags still on it from GAP for $1. Guess which sale probably sold more :laughing:! Check out local rummage sales and also ebay to decide on prices. If you have some name brand clothing in great condition they will sell FAST! I usually have sold all my son's clothes in the first couple hours!

We're selling at a flea market next weekend, and doing a yard sale the weekend after for that final push for trip money. I got some wholesale jewelry that I'm taking to the flea market, I hope we do alright with it. I guess as long as I make my investment back, I'll be happy. But, should be fun, and alot of work. :)

Hope everyone has great success with their upcoming sales! I love to go to yard sales so I am contributing to someone else's trip fund 25 cents at a time!

Because we are planning on putting our home, of about 35 years, on the market come Spring I have been having garage sales and putting ads for the fancier stuff in our local paper that runs free ads.

Have not made a fortune because people just are not spending like they once did but because I have so many things that are useful I am selling quite a bit. Lots of haggling going on. I price things just a tad bit more than I want for real so that folks can feel like they got a deal. If you charge too much over they will not even look.

Beware groups who swarm in and leave with things they did not pay for. I had such and believe it or not they walked off with a music box that played Christina music. Ironic huh?:laughing:

Also the big thing seems to be to see where you keep your money and try to get away with it. Someone comes in and buys a small item with a larger bill so you have to give them change and then they come back later. A fanny pack is a good idea.

Also do not let anyone into your house.

Be careful out there! The world has gone a bit stranger than usual.

Slightly Goofy, who is planning on moving closer to where else, WDW!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter