Hagrid's Coaster Queue Updates / Questions / Reviews

So at 11:15 they kicked everyone out of line and gave us all a return pass for Hagrids and a single attraction express pass. This was unfortunate for the people next to us who left the line 10 minutes earlier! Luckily, we have 2 more days here so I’m hoping the Hagrid pass will help us tomorrow.

This is my concern. I’m taking my siblings tomorrow for the first time to Universal and we’re planning on doing the rope drop early in the morning and riding it first thing. But a delay like that is crazy and I’m hoping that’s not the case tomorrow. We only have one day to do everything they want to do so I’m hoping there’s no issues tomorrow morning

It’s 10:10 and we’re still on an extended delay. No estimate on when it will be running. No one seems to be bailing out but that could be because we’re close to the front. Maybe further back, people got out of line. I have now deducted 2 1/2 hours to this starting from the 7:45 time at the front gate so I’m hesitant to give up now.
So sorry for you. So I suppose they still didn't sort the problem out they had yesterday. I was on - I think - the pretty last train that leaved the station. First we were stucked for 15mins at the very first scene with the carriage before we had a slow start (no launch), than we rode till Devils Snare without any animatronics running, and there we were stucked for 45mins before they evacuated us. I was out shortly after 6p.m. so no possibility for any other ride. And as it was my last day the return pass, valid only until 12/1, was useless for me...

This is my concern. I’m taking my siblings tomorrow for the first time to Universal and we’re planning on doing the rope drop early in the morning and riding it first thing. But a delay like that is crazy and I’m hoping that’s not the case tomorrow. We only have one day to do everything they want to do so I’m hoping there’s no issues tomorrow morning

I personally would go in the morning (get there well before opening time) and do everything as normal. If things start to slow down while in the actual queue at Hagrid's, or they announce a delay, I would only wait very briefly. As much as it would suck to miss it, with it being that time sensitive and the first time you bringing your siblings if you have only one day you do not want to waste too much time.

So sorry for you. So I suppose they still didn't sort the problem out they had yesterday. I was on - I think - the pretty last train that leaved the station. First we were stucked for 15mins at the very first scene with the carriage before we had a slow start (no launch), than we rode till Devils Snare without any animatronics running, and there we were stucked for 45mins before they evacuated us. I was out shortly after 6p.m. so no possibility for any other ride. And as it was my last day the return pass, valid only until 12/1, was useless for me...
Ugh, what a pain for you. I feel like they must have known there was a good possibility they knew the ride wouldn’t be functioning today but they said nothing as everyone was being ushered through the various cueing locations. It wasn’t until we were right at the final spot, that they started announcing a delay. Then you never know whether to stick it out in line or cut your losses. We stayed and wasted the whole morning but do have a return pass and since we have 2 more days, I’m hoping we’ll get a chance to ride.

I’m hoping it’s up and running for both of us!

I personally would go in the morning (get there well before opening time) and do everything as normal. If things start to slow down while in the actual queue at Hagrid's, or they announce a delay, I would only wait very briefly. As much as it would suck to miss it, with it being that time sensitive and the first time you bringing your siblings if you have only one day you do not want to waste too much time.

Yea I work there so I have already experienced the ride so it’s not a big issue for me. It’s more for my siblings who love Harry Potter as much as I do and they have been so excited to go on this ride. So I’m hoping they get to ride it first thing tomorrow early and quick

Would love to hear from someone that has received and used the Hagrid’s return pass due to the ride going down. Did you go through a separate line that might, one day be the Express Pass line? Did you skip the pre-show? How long was your wait? TIA

I am continuing to follow this thread with great interest. I was able to ride it 4 times during a week in late September. Twice the wait was 50-60 min., once the wait was 65 min., and once the wait was about 25 minutes. We never did rope drop, the posted wait was always 120 min or more, and we never had any sudden stoppages (that I know of). We usually rode early to mid afternoon. Our shortest wait was getting in line after the ride had been shut down for a bit in the morning (this was the beginning of the "bee" issues I think) During that particular ride, the preshow was not running and we made it almost into Hagrid's workroom before slowing down. I am 60 years old and don't particularly like standing in line in the heat, which is why I stay at the HRH to get EP, but that ride is worth a 60 minute wait to me. Anything longer, I'd probably pass.

Would love to hear from someone that has received and used the Hagrid’s return pass due to the ride going down. Did you go through a separate line that might, one day be the Express Pass line? Did you skip the pre-show? How long was your wait? TIA
It's a separate line and no pre-show.

If it's working, 15-20 minutes. If it's not working, well....

Well since people are still following this thread I’ll post my insights based on how I experienced it today. I did the rope drop early in the morning, I got to the park at 7:20 and I was second in line at the turnstiles. Once the gates opened around 8:45, we got right in and we walked (fast tho). Note: people will run, and I mean RUN. Thankfully the ride was functioning perfectly and we literally walked onto the ride. We were in line for 5 minutes (which is basically how long it takes just to walk to the ride itself). We got out by 9:05; it was totally worth getting there early and riding it first thing. Then we did everything else and it was about 5:30 when we got back to Hogsmeade and the ride was down but the team members told me that they were hoping to bring it back up and working and that it would continue running till park closed. Since we wanted to experience it at night and we already did everything else in the park, we decided to just stick around and relax and wait to see if it would open back up. Sure enough it did and it was pitch black outside. We got in line and again it only took us 5 minutes to get on the ride and experience it all over again and it was ever better! So I say your best bet is to do the rope drop in the morning and beat the crowds cuz you don’t know what the weather will be like later or if the ride will close. Also keep in mind that it also works if the ride has a delay, maybe stick around and when they bring it back up, go on it immediately and that’s a good way to get on it fast. Still Hagrid’s is a big wild card so today I was just really blessed to get on it twice with only 5 minute waits, that might not be the case another day. Hope this helps anyone reading it

Today, not so lucky. Got to turnstiles at 7:40, 2nd in line. Announced delayed ride opening. We walked fast and ended up in the room after the tight , long tunnel before it stopped. Giving it until about 9:40, then gonna bail.

In line and close (ish) to the front. Team members were warning about delays before everyone even got into the park. On a side note, while there’s no cell service inside the queue building, the Universal WiFi does work, and it’s nice to have your phone as a distraction.

Friday was my first park day and I rope dropped so early that I was the only one at the turnstiles. Due to previously explained delays I was in the queue until they emptied it around 11am. After exiting Hulk around 2:45pm I got the notification it was working and hurried over. I was able to ride after about a 20 min wait. The burgundy return pass they give out gets you into the future express part of the queue.

Saturday, I hoped to ride one more time so I hoped in the queue right before tje 3pm cut off time. The ride delayed after about an hour wait and they emptied the queue and gave out passes again. I used the yellow pass to ride Forbidden Journey one time and went back to Hagrid. Cast members were outside and the sign said "extended delay". I waited outside. The cast members were talkative and very hopeful that the ride would come back up. Around 6:30 the ride reopened. Because I had my pass and was at the front, I got to the front of the queue before anyone. I was so quick(being solo helps with efficiency) I got to ride front row, on the motorbike side, solo, at night. The next people behind me were at the back if the ride so it was like a solo ride. By far worth all the trouble and that was the best birthday gift(it was my actual birthday) that a Harry Potter nerd could ask for.

Today, not so lucky. Got to turnstiles at 7:40, 2nd in line. Announced delayed ride opening. We walked fast and ended up in the room after the tight , long tunnel before it stopped. Giving it until about 9:40, then gonna bail.

If you're willing to hold out until they open or at least give out the return pass for the ride, it's definitely worth it. If you're not that excited about the ride, definitely don't waste your park day waiting.

We were there for a private party last Thursday and I made the mistake of doing other attractions first and waiting for the Hagrids line to die down. I was literally the last person they let in line before they cut off the queue. After about 30 minutes, sure enough as I expected, it broke as usual. I waited another 60 minutes because I really wanted to ride and I have no plans to visit Universal again anytime soon. But at 11:45 pm(party was over at midnight) they cleared the queue. I was chatting with the cast member closing the ride behind me. We were together a long time so I asked him what the deal was. He says 99% it's the brake fins getting stuck and they simply pushed the limits too far with this and over engineered it when it was designed. When the fins are stuck they begin software analysis and check code for possible reasons. He says a lot of the time a system reboot fixes the issue. But of course until the fins are released by the computer it can't run again. This night sadly even after 60 minutes they couldn't get them to release. He did give me, and 3 others that had been chatting with him, skip the line passes but I dont have a Universal ticket to go with it :)

Last edited:
At what point after a long delay...I’m talking over 2 hours...will they shut it down and give out re-entry passes?

At what point after a long delay...I’m talking over 2 hours...will they shut it down and give out re-entry passes?
They waited until 11am on Friday. Despite the lack of communication about what's going on, they're really trying get the ride working quickly and only empty the queue once they are sure it will be a while.

They waited until 11am on Friday. Despite the lack of communication about what's going on, they're really trying get the ride working quickly and only empty the queue once they are sure it will be a while.
I totally believe that they’re trying, everyone is understandably getting anxious. It would be one thing if we knew the ride was running but it hasn’t at all so for this morning. We really want to ride but not sure what to do at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!