Hagrid's Coaster Queue Updates / Questions / Reviews

After our good luck on 2/11 with walking on the ride after the scheduled downtime, we decided to line up on 2/12 (Wednesday at 1pm) with a posted time of 45 minutes. As I feared might happen, the ride delayed after we were in line for 10 minutes. Line kept moving as people ahead gradually left since there was no ETA on when it would be back up. We eventually made it to the last room as the line emptied out. Spent the majority of time in that room and there was only a few dozen people left in line at that point. After waiting in the delay for a total of 1.5 hours (2:30pm), we were told by staff to get out of the line since they didn't know when it would be back up. They gave out passes to skip most of the line next time.

We left to drink at margaritaville (great decision) and I kept checking the app for when it was back up. It looked like the ride was down until 4ish. We went back at that time (now with a posted wait time 60-75min). With the passes they let us go through what looks like will eventually be the express lane. It dropped us off in the second to last room. We only had to wait maybe 15 min to ride from that point.

A frustrating experience overall but not necessarily a bad one. I'm glad we stuck out the wait during the delay since it resulted in good conversation with people in line and the passes. Between all the unexpected and planned downtime, I feel bad for anyone who has been trying unsuccessfully to ride this the last couple of days. Would be nice if they could keep this thing consistently operational.. It really is a great coaster.

Last edited:
After our good luck on 2/11 with walking on the line after the scheduled downtime, we decided to line up on 2/12 (Wednesday at 1pm) with a posted time of 45 minutes. As I feared might happen, the ride delayed after we were in line for 10 minutes. Line kept moving as people ahead gradually left since there was no ETA on when it would be back up. We eventually made it to the last room as the line emptied out. Spent the majority of time in that room and there was only a few dozen people left in line at that point. After waiting in the delay for a total of 1.5 hours (2:30pm), we were told by staff to get out of the line since they didn't know when it would be back up. They gave out passes to skip most of the line next time.

We left to drink at margaritaville (great decision) and I kept checking the app for when it was back up. It looked like the ride was down until 4ish. We went back at that time (now with a posted wait time 60-75min). With the passes they let us go through what looks like will eventually be the express lane. It dropped us off in the second to last room. We only had to wait maybe 15 min to ride from that point.

A frustrating experience overall but not necessarily a bad one. I'm glad we stuck out the wait during the delay since it resulted in good conversation with people in line and the passes. Between all the unexpected and planned downtime, I feel bad for anyone who has been trying unsuccessfully to ride this the last couple of days. Would be nice if they could keep this thing consistently operational.. It really is a great coaster.
We had that happen to us in December. We had been in line maybe 20-30 min and the ride went down. Then up, then down again. We were in a long cave like tunnel and had no idea what was going on or how far we were from the ride, we only moved up when people presumably left. After somewhere around another hour we gave up and left, and literally as we got to the locker area the ride went up. My son was devestated (well, not really devastated, but quite bummed). I know they can’t be sure, but I really wish they could give some indication of the likelihood of it coming up soon vs it not looking good. I mean, 3-5 more min and we could have ridden, and instead we lost close to 2 hrs of time and didn’t ride, plus were left feeling pretty annoyed/disappointed on our last day. Had we not been in that cave tunnel and heard the cars running to test them I Think we would have stayed in line.

Can someone post instructions or link to an earlier post that explains how to put the alarm in the app for when the ride gets below a certain wait time? I looked through it all myself and couldn't find anything. Thanks!

Can someone post instructions or link to an earlier post that explains how to put the alarm in the app for when the ride gets below a certain wait time? I looked through it all myself and couldn't find anything. Thanks!

Click on the ride in the App (where if gives you the ride details) and if you scroll down 1/2 way you'll see "Wait Time Alert" at the top of the "More Details" section. Tap on "Set Alert"

Click on the ride in the App (where if gives you the ride details) and if you scroll down 1/2 way you'll see "Wait Time Alert" at the top of the "More Details" section. Tap on "Set Alert"
When we were there the lowest I could set the alert for was, IIRC, 85 min. I wanted to do a 60 min one just in case it dropped way down, but it wouldn’t let me. Turned out when it said 90 min the wait seemed to be typically just under 60 anyway, but it usually said 120 min.

I'm not seeing this option. Does the ride have to be open for this to work? I was only checking late at night after the park was closed.

It is still only open at random times and when it is open it doesn’t move very fast. Talked to a cm in the last room about moving over to single as it looked really short but she said it wold be faster staying in the regular line. She was right.

Can anyone comment for a newbie here - the day we are going, only Univ. Stud. is early admission - not IOA. If we take the first Hogwarts Express over right at 9am, is this a good way to have a short line for Hagrid's?

Can anyone comment for a newbie here - the day we are going, only Univ. Stud. is early admission - not IOA. If we take the first Hogwarts Express over right at 9am, is this a good way to have a short line for Hagrid's?

Nope. The train doesn't run until after the park opens and the line for Hagrid's will already be filled up prior to the official opening time. To be at the front of the crowd for Hagrid's you'd have to skip the early entry in the other park, unfortunately.

This new practice started weeks ago

It is no longer an advantage to use the HE to get a head start for Potter section in the other park

Do i need to put my stuff in a locker before getting in line for Hagrid's or do I encounter the lockers as I walk through the line up? Sorry, total newbie here...

Do i need to put my stuff in a locker before getting in line for Hagrid's or do I encounter the lockers as I walk through the line up? Sorry, total newbie here...

If you're there at rope drop or within the first half hour or so of the park opening, the line will go out of the Harry Potter area and start near the Sinbad theater, so you'll have your bags with you when you get in line and the line will take you past the lockers and you'll put your things away then. Later in the day, once the line is all the way inside the actual queue area, you'll start at the lockers first and then get into the line.

We thought we would do Early entry at US and then take the HE over to go to the Grinchmas breakfast at IOA 9:30. At 9:00 the HE line was out of the station and to the front of the London house fronts, and there was no express line because at that point everyone was express for the most part, since it has only been early entry people. The app said 40 min. We walked over, it would have taken forever. That station is huge, I don’t know how much of the line they were using but even what we could see was very long.

What do you think the issue was? I assume you were standing right there when she was measured. It's usually pretty cut and dried if the top of their little heads touch the board.

Not sure really. Universal must be more lax than Disney though because she was able to ride the Mummy, Hagrid's, and FJ with no problems. We tried twice on two different days to ride Rock N' Rollercoaster, and she was like an inch short each time. 48 inches must be different in Disney than at my doctor's office and Universal! :laughing:

My experience on 2/10 Monday. Left Portofino walking ~ 8:10; could likely have just waited for boat and made it similar time but didn't see it at first and then it was coming in when I was around the Hard Rock. In line maybe 30 people deep outside IOA at 8:25. Gates opened ~8:45? Once in, walked superfast but not running and probably passed 200-300 people on way to ride. Some were just strolling slowly along maybe even just going to Seuss Landing or other stuff in Hogsmeade. No bag as other in my traveling party agreed to bring in when they came later, otherwise that would be hard for me as like to bring extra sunscreen, water bottle, snack, etc. On ride vehicle about to go 9:20 and would have been off ~ 9:25 but ride broke down. Off vehicle and waiting, and back on ride 9:45 and off 9:50.

Went and rode Hippogriff. On way back through Hogsmeade seemed like Hagrid single rider line had just opened. Took that line and off 2nd Hagrid ride of the morning by 10:50. So ended up riding Hagrid twice plus Hippogriff within ~ 1 hour; was great although then felt a bit sick, although I'm usually ok on coasters. Probably in part due to heat and lack of water - so sat in shade behind Hog's Head for a late morning break and then felt fine.

Agree also, single rider line seems iffy as there were a couple periods of maybe 10 minutes we didn't move at all while other line was moving. Just lucky I was only ~ 100 people back in single rider line.

Good experience; didn't try more this trip as companion not interested so next trip will aim for riding the bike and at night. Not sure the etiquette of asking for bike but will try politely next time go through regular line, having gotten sidecar both times this trip. Second time in single rider line they somewhat strangely put me and other single rider together but put the other single rider on the bike.

I had seen ride would open late 2/11 and 2/13 so figured 2/10 was best shot. I think it was closed 2/11 morning since there seemed to be a private event going on in WWHP evening of 2/11 and I figure they would keep it running late for that and do maintenance in the morning instead. Not that great for "regular" guests but c'est la vie. Thank goodness I had seen someone posting (thank you whoever it was!) it was scheduled to open late 2/11 as I was going to rope drop that day. Not sure reason for scheduled late opening 2/13 as not there that day.

Reactions: DLo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!