Hagrid's motorbike adventure - just making sure I understand the strategy

uandmfan

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone

I've been reading the posts about this ride and just want to make sure I understand how best to approach it.

We should have early entry when we go in late January.

From what I can gather, we can either use early entry to ride it - as long as we are at the entrance at least 45 minutes before the gates open and run to this ride to get on near the front of the pack, or we wait until around noon watch for wait times around 60 minutes, at which point we should get in line.

I've read that if you get in line during regular park open then at least the line moves, whereas for early entry you kind of just hang out and wait to be let in - so basically the wait is about the same either way.

Does this sound right to those that have been there before? It's all new to me!

Thank you!

Pretty much right.

If the ride is running, the line moves consistently. And once the park opens, Hagrids runs right away. It only stops or is delayed for technical difficulties. They can happen frequently. When you hear that you are standing around waiting at opening, people mean you are waiting outside the gates for the parks to open, or that the ride had issues so it didn't open right away & you are standing around waiting for it to start up.

Hi everyone

I've been reading the posts about this ride and just want to make sure I understand how best to approach it.

We should have early entry when we go in late January.

From what I can gather, we can either use early entry to ride it - as long as we are at the entrance at least 45 minutes before the gates open and run to this ride to get on near the front of the pack, or we wait until around noon watch for wait times around 60 minutes, at which point we should get in line.

I've read that if you get in line during regular park open then at least the line moves, whereas for early entry you kind of just hang out and wait to be let in - so basically the wait is about the same either way.

Does this sound right to those that have been there before? It's all new to me!

Thank you!
Yes, that is correct for the most part. It’s really up to personal preference. We personally like to wait around lunchtime or early afternoon and get in the regular line where it’s been about 60 minutes or less and use some EE time on other attractions that are open instead. During busier times, however, it might not always be 60 minutes or less but we usually luck out… Even on weekends. (Late January shouldn’t be that busy.) As you mentioned, we’d rather be slowly moving, then just standing in one spot for 40+ minutes and at the crack of dawn. But everyone is different and has their own touring style preferences/priorities. Some things to keep in mind is: Hagrids sometimes has a delayed opening but can also go down anytime if it’s a tech issue. If it’s raining, the ride also stops.

We recently tried twice.

During Early entry the ride was down, so standing in line was a total waste, IMO. We actually waited the better part of an hour, but the line did not move, and we were far enough back that it was going to be a solid wait (when it did open). Velocicoaster was also down, but even with bailing late, we saw some short waits. Bailing was the right call, as the ride was delayed a while longer after the park opened. It was REALLY frustrating to be standing in a not-moving line after getting up early and all.

On our second attempt though we got in line about an hour before the park closed. That worked out better. We opted for single rider. The SR line moved fairly slowly, so we probably would have done just as well in the main queue. Posted wait was 75, and we waited about 65.

Any variance to the OP strategy if staying at a deluxe with EP?

I'm starting to debate whether rope dropping even makes sense for us. If I have to get up early, wait 45 minutes just to get in the park, hope the ride is up, etc. then it seems like it makes more sense to do almost any other strategy.

Hagrid’s doesn’t take Express pass. So whether you have it or not doesn’t effect Hagrid’s strategy for the most part.

Single rider doesn’t really move that fast since ride vehicles are 2 people so if you don’t get a lot of odd numbers so don’t really move. It can be just as long as standby especially when you get groups going into the single rider line thinking it will be be shorter than legitimate single riders.

I'm starting to debate whether rope dropping even makes sense for us. If I have to get up early, wait 45 minutes just to get in the park, hope the ride is up, etc. then it seems like it makes more sense to do almost any other strategy.
If its a must do, I would still try early entry for Hagrids if you only have one day, even with express for the other rides.

Then you could have breakfast or explore more of HP.

Hagrids goes down a lot. If its a must do try to get it out of the way early. Then you have the rest of the day you really don’t have to plan much with Express.

If its a must do, I would still try early entry for Hagrids if you only have one day, even with express for the other rides.

Then you could have breakfast or explore more of HP.

Hagrids goes down a lot. If its a must do try to get it out of the way early. Then you have the rest of the day you really don’t have to plan much with Express.

We will have 2.5 days. I think we may try for it the first afternoon. If that doesn't work we will try with EE!

I appreciate all the tips!

We will have 2.5 days. I think we may try for it the first afternoon. If that doesn't work we will try with EE!

I appreciate all the tips!
If you have 2.5 days then no I wouldn’t make a huge effort for early entry on day one just for Hagrids. Especially if you have Express pass for the other rides, you will have plenty of time to work it in sometime during the 2.5 days.

That is the greatest advantage of Express. There is no point in having grumpy kids (or adults lol) waking up really early on vacation.

We had EP. It is up to you.

One advantage of getting up early is that you get more time in the park.

In warmer months, that = more rides before the temps climb. Also right now the parks close pretty early, but if those aren't important factors for you, then you can sleep later.

We didn't wait 45minutes to get in the park. I don't ever think it is essential to do that. Arriving a little before the EE starts puts you closer to front of the crowd entering the park perhaps, but we don't usually do that.

Just like WDW, you never quite know what you'll get. We've sometimes arrived at MK early to find rides that are supposed to be open, down as well.

The value is a toss-up/matter of priorities.

Hagrid’s doesn’t take Express pass. So whether you have it or not doesn’t effect Hagrid’s strategy for the most part.

Single rider doesn’t really move that fast since ride vehicles are 2 people so if you don’t get a lot of odd numbers so don’t really move. It can be just as long as standby especially when you get groups going into the single rider line thinking it will be be shorter than legitimate single riders.
a legitimate single rider = anyone willing to ride solo.

IMO, offering to ride solo helps everyone ride faster, because there are no empty seats.

On Hagrid's most people prefer to be on the motorbike, but SR = almost always being in the sidecar.

If you have 2.5 days then no I wouldn’t make a huge effort for early entry on day one just for Hagrids. Especially if you have Express pass for the other rides, you will have plenty of time to work it in sometime during the 2.5 days.

That is the greatest advantage of Express. There is no point in having grumpy kids (or adults lol) waking up really early on vacation.

Yeah this is kind of my point. We’ll have a similar amount of time. Might even just try to knock it our on our arrival day from Disney to help us determine strategy for the remaining time.

HHN is the real curveball for us on park entry. We’ll be doing a private rip one evening and no way we’re rope dropping the next morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter